Help Growing Basil

I consider myself good with plants, and have ZERO luck with Basil. Globe or any other doesn't seem to matter. They get all leggy and I've tried buying them different places, tried larger plants hoping for better luck. No one seems to be able to figure out what I'm doing wrong. What's the secret to good basil? I always plant it alone.

My herbs have to grow inside (garden window) or outside balcony, but I have one in front and one back, one AM sun, one PM sun.

Hardiness Zone: 9-10

MAnne from CA

Growing From Seed

Growing basil from seed is easy. Start it outside in a sunny spot in a good potting mix like Miracle Gro. Basil grows great in containers. Keep it moist and as the delicate seedlings come up, carefully thin them out just a bit.

When you water them, choose an organic seaweed/fish fertilizer diluted in filtered water. Water carefully in the mornings from the bottom and try not to wet the leaves. As they continue to grow bigger, thin them out to about one plant per half a foot. When they are good size, pinch the tops off, an inch or so, to cause the plants to become fuller, not taller.

Growing basil from seed is not difficult and the varieties are amazing and fun to try. My other suggestion is that you try planting basil between your vegetables and flowers rather than all by itself. Good luck to you and hope this helps.

By EarthArtist

Pinch Basil

Definitely pinch it. Basil gets leggy if you don't. Plus, pinching means you get to use it early! Make sure it has lots of sun too.

Successive Plantings

The secret to growing basil and cilantro is to make successive plantings as both plants will go to seed within a short time. Make sure to pinch back the growing tips on a regular basis.

By cookwie

Growing basil.
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Spring of fresh basil.
Freezing Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Flowering Basil
Preventing Basil From Flowering