Growing Basil from Cuttings

Category Cuttings
Propagating Basil From Cuttings - rooting basil cuttings
Grow your own fresh basil from cuttings. Root the cuttings in a container and then plant for a nice fresh supply of this popular herb. This is a page about growing basil from cuttings.

Basil can get costly, so why not propagate basil. It is very easy to do so! Get some cuttings from a basil plant and place into water. I reused a yogurt container and in a couple of days, you'll start to see the roots forming! The photo attached is an example of the roots in 1.5 weeks and almost ready to be planted in soil!

Propagating Basil From CuttingsPropagating Basil From Cuttings - rooting basil cuttingsPropagating Basil From Cuttings

Top Comment

Thanks for the terrific tip (from one who also loves basil)! I've just tried the same thing with cherry tomatoes (I managed to keep one alive in the house all winter), and wow!

What a difference in timing! Seeds take a good six weeks to get going and even then are tiny and fragile. Cuttings take off PDQ and I've got a good head start on them this year.

i read all these articles a while back about all the things you can propagate this way, from potatoes to pineapples, but this is the one i want to or have to try first!! I lvoe basil

i have read you can do it with cilantro too, and i definitely want to try it. I think it's a similar way, too

Yes I am sure this process will work for other herbs also :) Good luck!

You are very welcome!! Good to hear you've had success in the past. Good luck for basil too! :)

Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsMarch 14, 2019
🌻
🎂
🎃