Growing Geraniums from Cuttings

Category Cuttings
Geraniums are one of the easiest plants to start from cuttings. If you live in a colder area you can take cuttings to overwinter and have a good start on your spring garden. This is a guide about growing geraniums from cuttings.

Could you tell me how long it takes for a geranium to bloom from newly rooted slip?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By Merryjean from AZ

Answers

Best Answer

According to what I have read early cutting will bloom that summer whereas those taken in late summer or early fall can be wintered over and will bloom the following summer. I took cuttings several years ago in the late summer, potted them and kept them in a south facing window where they rooted and began to grow over the winter. In the spring I planted them in the garden an had beautiful plants that bloomed all summer.

Question:

I have a geranium that is three years old, I keep it inside. It is very large! One of the branches broke off when I was watering it and I was wondering if there was anyway of getting it to root.

I put it in a vase of water as soon as it happened, this was 2 weeks ago and it is still doing very well. The buds have opened and no leaves have died.

Should I leave it in the water or should I use a rooting compound and put it in dirt? Any suggestions? The pink one is the plant it broke off of.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Thanks,
Michelle from New York

Answer:

Michelle,

Geraniums are one the easiest plants to root from cuttings. If you leave yours in water, you will see tiny roots emerging before you know it.

You can also root stem cuttings in a soil-less potting medium. To do this, remove a stem cutting about 3 or 4 leaf joints from the tip. Make sure you remove any potential flower heads so the cuttings direct all of their energy into roots. Remove the bottom leaves and insert the cutting into a growing medium (about 40% perlite and 60% soil-less mix or 50% peat and 50% sand). Keep the growing medium light and airy so the new roots have plenty of room to grow.

Geraniums usually take to rooting just fine without dipping the cuttings into a rooting hormone, but if you prefer, dip each stem into a rooting hormone before inserting them into the growing medium.

Water the new cuttings and then make a greenhouse for them by covering the pot with a plastic bag.

Place the pot in a location where the temperature stays warm throughout the day and doesn't drop down too far at night.

After 10 to 20 days, the cuttings should start forming roots. Pinch back the stems as they grow to encourage side shoots.

Good luck!
Ellen

Answers

Just let it go and soon you will notice the new roots appearing. Geraniums are incredibly easy to work with, and in fact, did you know that you can overwinter them in a brown paper bag and they will bloom the following year? At the end of the season, take the plant out of the ground or pot, shake all the dirt off the roots and put into the bag. Roll the top down or staple it closed, store in a cool, dry place until you are ready to "activate" them again. I normally put the dormant geranium branches, which I broke off the "mother" plant and wintered over in the unheated storage portion of the basement into a container or pail of water until I could see the new roots appearing. Then I moved them up to a sunny window in their individual water containers, and within a very short time, transplanted them outside. This was in Minnesota and over the 10 years we were there, I had dozens and dozens of geraniums to use myself, give to others, whatever. Geraniums at that time were $3.49 for a single plant, and yet I had dozens each year to use in my containers or share with others.

wow, I didn't know they were so easy to grow and bring back to life. thanks, Michelle

stick it in a pot of dirt. Geraniums will grow anywhere!

Mine didn't grow; they all died. What did I do wrong?

-- Mine didn't grow; they all died. What did I do wrong?
----------

Michelle,

I dont think you did anything wrong. You might have brought them out to soon and frost got them. Where do you live? Or you may have not given them enough water.

~Wendola~

Here are some suggestions on how to root geranium slips to avoid rotting. Post your own techniques below.

Allow Cutting To Seal

When rooting geraniums: break off (or cut off with a sterilized knife at a 45 degree angle) just under a leaf joint. Let it sit for 3 hours to let the tip dry and seal itself off, very important! Then put in a glass of water and wait for 2 - 3 weeks for roots to develop.

Or, let it sit to dry and then dip in water to barely wet tip and then into rooting hormone and then plant in moist sterilized soil.

By Valleyrimgirl

Watch Water Levels

Geraniums don't like much water. Plant them in sandy soil in pots. Keep in the shade, and when they seem to have new leaves and growing, put them in the sun, with a little shade part of the day.

Nora

Put Piece With Mama Plant

I've always just broke a piece off and stuck it back in the pot with the mama plant and left it until it was big enough to transplant. I very seldom fertitlize mine and they seem to bloom all the time. They were even blooming one year when we had snow. They stay in the sun most of the time and they are beautiful. I live in the Florida Panhandle.

By Jay

Get Flower, Leaves And Stem

I just break off a piece with flowers, leaves and stem, plant it in a pot, water, and voila!, it grows. Geraniums are so hearty they are hard to kill. I have a geranium from my grandmother's house from thirty years ago and from my mom's house ten years ago. They are doing great. I have taken pieces from them both and planted in smaller pots placed up and down my front steps. Looks great. I say try what you want to do and see for yourself.

If you are looking for a plant that will give you great cuttings to make new plants with, try geraniums.

By Suzziee