Overwintering Geraniums

overwintering geraniums
Geraniums must be protected from the cold during the winter. This is a guide about overwintering geraniums.

Does anyone have experience with keeping geraniums for replanting the next spring? I'm going to try for the first time.

By kurtzfolk from Van Wert, OH

I have done that quite a few times and it works. Trim the plant to the size you want, then rinse it and make sure you rinse all the garden soil away from the roots (you don't want any bugs from the garden in your home), plant the geranium in your planter with potting soil and you'll have a geranium for indoors, it will even flower! Next year you just put it back in your garden or in a pot on the patio. Good luck!

I tried it once in our basement, but then grew tired of going down there to water. One word of caution if you have cats. Geraniums and many other outdoor plants are poisonous. That's why I can't keep ours inside except in the basement, where we lock them out. If you don't have cats, go for it. Here's a list of other poisonous plants as well--

http://www.cfai  cles/plants.html

The place where my daughter worked had some in a pot. Near spring they were almost dead from poor moisture in the air. However they survived a light frost when left out side. I trimmed it down and put some of the clippings in good quality potting soil. They started rooting and making new plants.

High humidity is a key part of them not drying up.

Zone 5a

I have overwintered my geraniums for the last 5 years. I live in the Buffalo,NY area so I pull them in before the first frost. They will last if you water them about 2 times a month. I have them near a window for light. They do get "leggy" and I let them. In the spring I cut them back, repot them and add liquid fertilizer for house plants and put them out after fear of more snow or frost. Good luck.

When I lived in CT. I would dig up the geraniums before the first frost. Hang them upside down from the rafters in the basement. I never watered them. Just left them hanging until spring when they started to green up. Then you pot them up in some good soil, and wait until it is safe to put them back out doors.

Don't get discouraged when you see them looking kind of dead like in the winter-they will come back in the spring! jjs

We live in hardiness zone 6a. My friend gave me some cut geraniums which rooted and are doing well in an outdoor container.
What do I have to do to have them survive the coming cold weather?

By este

If your temps get below freezing, they will need to be brought in. I put them in pots and set in a window and enjoy blossoms during the winter, but you can also pull up the plants, knock off the soil and store them in a paper bag. I first cut the stems down to about 4". Towards spring, they will start greening out and then can be replanted.

I would like to know how to protect geraniums through the winter. I have three planters of geraniums. I don't want the frost to kill them.

By Maxine

What's the best way to 'winter' all of my lovely geraniums? I have too many to let them die. Is it best to put them in the dark and let them go dormant, or can I just keep watering and trimming them all winter indoors?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Thanks,
Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers:

Wintering Geraniums

I have geraniums I keep all winter in my kitchen and I have some I keep in closet. I water them good before putting in closet and never touch them again. Get them out in Spring. The one from my kitchen gets spindly, but in Spring outdoors it does very well. (09/13/2007)

By Mary Ann

Wintering Geraniums

Hi, I left mine outside for the winter and they froze and turned to mush. I lost them all. (09/13/2007)

By LorettaB.

Wintering Geraniums

I have had a geranium for 3 years. I keep it on my carport all winter, and water it when it gets dry. (09/13/2007)

By Nancy

Wintering Geraniums

Before freezing, trim them all down to about 2 or 3 inches, pull them up and shake off the soil. Store them in a paper bag in your basement, cool and dry. Replant in the spring (early spring), this has worked for me. Although not all of the time, I would say about 50-50. What have you got to lose? (09/13/2007)

Wintering Geraniums

My Grandma always dug them up, shook all of the dirt off of the roots, and hung them upside down in the basement. Then in the spring she would replant them. (09/14/2007)

By Joyce wis

Wintering Geraniums

I have kept geraniums for over 5 years, I live in S.D. In the fall, I bring them in either in the container or re-pot them in something more suitable for my inside decor. If they get spindly during the winter cut them off, root them, pot them, and have some new geraniums. (09/14/2007)

By Monita Paulson

Wintering Geraniums

My daughter overwinters her geraniums inside the house like an indoor plant. I had good luck just putting mine inside the garage and not watering. I have no lights or windows in there. Mine weren't as "leggy" the next summer as her's were. (09/14/2007)

By Carol in PA