Overwintering Geraniums

What's the best way to 'winter' all of my lovely geraniums? I have too many to let them die. Is it best to put them in the dark and let them go dormant, or can I just keep watering and trimming them all winter indoors?

Hardiness Zone: 4b

Thanks,
Kim from Crawford, CO

Answers:

Wintering Geraniums

I have geraniums I keep all winter in my kitchen and I have some I keep in closet. I water them good before putting in closet and never touch them again. Get them out in Spring. The one from my kitchen gets spindly, but in Spring outdoors it does very well. (09/13/2007)

By Mary Ann

Wintering Geraniums

Hi, I left mine outside for the winter and they froze and turned to mush. I lost them all. (09/13/2007)

By LorettaB.

Wintering Geraniums

I have had a geranium for 3 years. I keep it on my carport all winter, and water it when it gets dry. (09/13/2007)

By Nancy

Wintering Geraniums

Before freezing, trim them all down to about 2 or 3 inches, pull them up and shake off the soil. Store them in a paper bag in your basement, cool and dry. Replant in the spring (early spring), this has worked for me. Although not all of the time, I would say about 50-50. What have you got to lose? (09/13/2007)

Wintering Geraniums

My Grandma always dug them up, shook all of the dirt off of the roots, and hung them upside down in the basement. Then in the spring she would replant them. (09/14/2007)

By Joyce wis

Wintering Geraniums

I have kept geraniums for over 5 years, I live in S.D. In the fall, I bring them in either in the container or re-pot them in something more suitable for my inside decor. If they get spindly during the winter cut them off, root them, pot them, and have some new geraniums. (09/14/2007)

By Monita Paulson

Wintering Geraniums

My daughter overwinters her geraniums inside the house like an indoor plant. I had good luck just putting mine inside the garage and not watering. I have no lights or windows in there. Mine weren't as "leggy" the next summer as her's were. (09/14/2007)

By Carol in PA