QuiltingCrafts

Help With Free Motion Quilting

I am so excited to become a part of this community and I can not wait to share ideas and recipes as I have been a crafter/sewer/cook since I was, goodness 6 or 7 years old :)

Recently I have embarked on the journey to start quilting! I have already started on my first quilt and I have decided to use free motion quilting/stipple stich as the way to complete my quilt, but I have run into major issues. So, for Christmas my dad gave me a new sewing machine, the Brother SQ 9185 and I have attached the spring action quilting foot and lowered the feed dogs and with a deep breath I attempted to stipple, all that I saw was erratic stiches, a grinding, clunking sound, and then snap. The needle thread breaks! I tried 7 times after this and with no improvement.

So obviously I am very frustrated as I am making a crib quilt for my middle brother who is expecting his first child and I have 4/5 days to complete it so I can give it to him and his wife. So, please, I am begging all of you, any help, advice, instructions, I am humbly in your hands and awaiting your advice. Thank you so much!