Help for Kerosene or Gasoline Smell in Car Interior

I don't know if any reader has ever had to get kerosene, gas, or other smelly liquids out of their vehicle or not, but I sure did. It's easy to put something in your trunk or back seat and spill some on your floor. The fumes from the containers and what spills on the floor gives me a headache.

A friend told me about using coffee grounds. She gets the cheapest kind, sprays the rug or floor lightly with water and sprinkles the dry coffee grounds over the area and then waits a few hours before vacuuming. It takes the kerosene or whatever fuel smell there is out and doesn't leave a coffee stain. Some truck drivers use this method due to the diesel fuel getting tracked into the cab of their rig.
I hope this helps someone. Sent in by LaH friend, Pebbles462002)
Light at Home Newsletter

By Lois from Bridgeport, WV

I had gasoline spill in the back of my SUV and tried several methods to get rid of the smell. I cleaned it out with vinegar and water which helped some, I kept the windows open, and also tried the coffee grounds trick. All methods assisted to some degree, but after 6 weeks there was still a noticeable smell.

Finally, my hardware store recommended a product called "Environmental Air Sponge". It comes in a plastic tub and within 30 minutes of opening it and leaving it in the car, the gas smell was gone. I was really impressed with this product and highly recommend it. (10/04/2008)

By Colleen H

Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Blue Kerosene Bottle
Cleaning Kerosene Spilled in a Car
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior