Cleaning Kerosene Spilled in a Car

Category Auto
Blue Kerosene Bottle
The odor of spilled kerosene is very pervasive. When it is in you car, it is not only offensive but an unhealthy situation, that you will want to clear up quickly. This is a guide about cleaning kerosene spilled in a car.

How do I get rid of kerosene smell from my car's interior?

By Brad from Stockton, CA

Answers

Call local auto supply shop ask for a bottle of pink stuff .. this is used by mechanics for cleaning up stuff. It works in the little green machine for the car (*my dh car was new - he was not happy). It works when oil delivery over filled and it spilled all over. It works on clothes with oil, kerosene & gas. Ria

I don't know if it will work on kerosene but you could try it, something as simple as vanilla will take the smell of diesel fuel out of the house,cloths etc. I have put it in the laundry when my husband gets a lot on his cloths and if you have a room or like put the vanilla on a cotton ball and it will absorb the smell., sometimes you have to put out more that one cotton ball depending on the size of the room and the spill.

Cheryl from MI

Why does it smell? Was there some sort of leak, or was something spilled in the car? I ask because, if something is leaking from the car's engine, it's dangerous to inhale the fumes. So the source would need to be fixed, before you deodorize the car.

Then - not to sound like a broken record, as I recommend it a lot - cut up oranges and put them in bowls or on plates. Oranges will absorb almost any odor, leaving a lovely citrus scent behind.

Purell hand sanitizer. I have spilled gas on myself before and used purell hand sanitizer and it took away the smell. The other day I spilled gas on my leather gloves and thought for sure they were toast. However, I tried the purell hand sanitizer and my gloves no loger smell like gas!

Soak and scrub with tide and a lil bleach. If you have wet dry vac, great. A lil downy or febreeze/water mixture after seals the deal..

Could someone please help me? We have spilled kerosene in the back of our car. We have tried steam cleaning, Fabreeze, air deodorizer and nothing seems to work. Any hints? The smell is making me sick!

Thanks,
Tracy

If you spilled on the carpeting, you should remove it if you can. If it's on upholstery, you can try kitty litter or some baking soda. If the kerosene got into the back seat padding, it's just going to take some time to air it out. Hope that helps.

Pull all the carpet up, and have it cleaned.Soak up all the kerosene with newspaper or old towels real well. Lastly Dampen the area with plain water, sprinkle dry coffee on the area for a few hours and then vaccum it up.

Use coffee grounds to remove the smell from your car or carpet. Simply soak up as much of the spill as you can with towels and sprinkle the coffee grounds over the area (I use a lot) and let it stand for about a week and the smell will be gone.

I spilled kerosene on the carpet of my vehicle and can't get the smell out. Please help.

By Dee

Pour at least two inches of cat litter directly on the spill and leave for several days. Use a commercial vacuum at the filling station to vacuum up the cat litter when the odor is gone.