Getting Rid of Gasoline Smell in Car

Category Odors
The odor of spilled gasoline in your car can be overpowering. This is a page about getting rid of gasoline smell in car.

How can you remove odor from gasoline spill on carpeting in van?

Zionchief from Zion, IL

Answers

I heard that you can dampen the carpet (like with a spray bottle of water) and then sprinkle fresh, unused coffee grounds on it and leave for at least a few hours (overnight would probably be better). Then vacuum it up.

By (Guest Post)

Shampoo carpet very well, may have to do a couple of times, when completely dry sprinkle dried fresh coffee grounds on that area, may have to leave for a couple of weeks, don't dampen as the coffee will stain the carpet. I have used it successfully for removing cat urin from floor.

By (Guest Post)

I have a new van and it smells like dirty socks and i cant get rid of the smell. Ive washed the carpets 4 times cleaned the seats and it is still there

I NEED HELP

By Kahlee (Guest Post)

My parents spilled a gas container with about 6 gallonds of gas in it and it has been smelling like gas for the past month or 2 I need help

By Martin Meyer (Guest Post)

Soak the area where the gasoline was spilled with Dawn detergent and water (about the same mixture you would use to wash dishes) and allow to soak for several minutes. With a wet/dry vac vacuum out the spent detergent, and rinse with plain water several times. Then wet the area with a 30 part water, 1 part OdorXit Concentrate mixture and allow to dry naturally.

By Pat (Guest Post)

So Simple! Slice up a few raw potatoes, skins and all and layer over gas smell. Leave for a day (or nite).

By Amanda (Guest Post)

Try the advice at
www.ehow.com/how_4503756_rid-gasoline-odor-carpet...

By Paul P. (Guest Post)

You will need Dawn Dish Detergent, plenty of water, Shop vac , and DL Permatex Hand Cleaner. All I did was, Shampoo carpet about 3 to 4 times with dawn dish washing liquid, vacuum out, then I smeared DL Permatex Hand Cleaner in erea and let it sit for about 20 min then vacuum it out.

Then your choice of air freshener, referable. frebreeze

How long does it take usually to soak up all the gas spill and remove its odor?

Answers

Best Answer

It kind of just depends on what you are using to soak up the gasoline. Cat litter works pretty good to soak things like this up out of the carpet. You may need to do a thorough carpet and upholstery cleaning with a degreaser to remove the smell also.

I spilled gas in the front seat of the car. How can I get rid of the smell? I need something more than "open the windows and air it"; that's been done and was not much help. I also put newspaper on the seat and put a heavy rock on top, hoping to absorb the gas, that helped some, but not much. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

By SharonH

Answers

Best Answer

Have you tried plain charcoal and leave it in the vehicle for a few days? It works wonders on other odors.

How do I remove gasoline smell from my car's interior?

By Bill from Sonora, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Many years ago, my mother-in-law spilled kerosene in her car and her car insurance paid to have the carpet replaced. It doesn't hurt to ask your insurance company. Good luck.

Gasoline spilled in the car. How do I get rid of the smell?

Answers

i had a can of gasoline spill over in the back of my Focus, luckly i had a horse blanket and a plastic table cloth obsorbed up most of the liquid, but some did get on the cover of the wheel mat in the back, i took it out hung on the line and washed several times with dawn soap and sprayed with a water hose till it looked like all the gsasoline was washed away. what can i use to continue to get the smell out. thankyou.

About one gallon of gas spilled over in the back of my van. It soaked through the carpet, padding, and even started to eat the underlayment (maybe the sound barrier), I don't know!

I had to tear out the carpet and pad and wash with Dawn! Is there anything else I can do?

I use my van for taking my three dogs with me; sometimes to the vet!

Help!

Answers

Have you asked the dealer or mechanic to check it out to make sure there there isn't structure damage to the spill area? I would, just to be safe. They can give you their go to solution for smell removal while you are there.

My go to is to use acitvated charcoal packs to absorb bad smells. Keep the car in a well ventilated space with windows down if feasible! Wishing you an easy solution!

There is a product called Nok-Out that removes all odors. You can get it at Amazon

First - if you are concerned about the under side of your van (sound-barrier) I would suggest you take it to one of the oil change stations and either get an oil change or just ask them to check this out for you.

These places have either a pit or a lift that gives them access to stand under your van for a good vision of what has taken place (if anything). Or - You should be able to ask at your usual place for oil changes.

• Do you mean you have completely removed (and thrown away) your carpet and cleaned the metal with Dawn or do you mean you have washed your carpet and padding with Dawn and replaced?
  • I think you will need something that will clean the metal before you can replace any carpet and padding or the odor may remain in the cracks/crevasses for a long time.
  • If you mean you have washed the carpet and padding then you need to be sure the gasoline smell is gone before putting it back in your van.
  • If you are not sure about the odor, you can put the carpet in a large plastic bag, seal it up and check 24 hours later. I'll bet the odor is still very strong. If you have already put it back in your van, then you are probably still smelling the gasoline from the carpet every time you leave the van closed up.
  • I would suggest you go to an automotive parts store and explain what happened and see what cleaner they recommend for removing gasoline from carpet and metal.
  • I would be very sure there is good ventilation if you have to carry your dogs to the vet before you find a good solution.

If you have spilled some gas in your car's trunk, it can be difficult to eliminate the odor. This is a page about gas smell in car's trunk.

An empty trunk of a car.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Gasoline odors can be very noxious, especially inside of a car. Since you can't remove your car's carpet it can be tough to remove spilled gasoline. This is a page about cleaning gasoline from car carpet.

Gas can on the car hood.

I have a 94 Mercury Cougar. I spilled gasoline in the trunk of the car. It is making the entire car reeks of the smell. How do I get rid of it?

By Steve Payne from Tacoma, WA

My mom spilled some gas in the back of her minivan on the carpet. Any suggestions on how to get the smell out?

Wendy from Wescosville

Answers:

Getting Gasoline Smell out of Van

Try baking soda, pour on, let stand, vac out next day. Or try something like Fabreze. You might need to actually use a carpet cleaner like Resolve to remove the gasoline from the rug. (05/28/2004)

By Linda

Getting Gasoline Smell out of Van

I just had the same thing happen to me but almost a whole gallon spilled on the back mat. Even though I think most all was contained on the mat which I have removed, the van stinks. I tried "Capture" carpet cleaner which is similar to the baking soda idea (I didn't use the spray part of it, just the sprinkle-on stuff to absorb any splattered gasoline) and then I've been keeping the back hatch open as much as I can. I noticed the best result yesterday as it was a windy day and I think some of it must have evaporated--but I think I still have a ways to go. Thinking of just tossing the mat as it really reeks! (09/29/2004)

By Lori

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsAugust 23, 2016
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-22 14:20:10 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️