Help for Kerosene or Gasoline Smell in Car Interior

How do I get kerosene stains and smell out of car carpet?

By shaysid from Halifax, NS, Canada

Answers:

I would try scented kitty litter. Leave it on a few days, mixing it around. That should get out the odor. Or use a 2 step prep, by sprinkling on a lot of dry baking soda for the odor, again leaving it a couple of days, and then making a water/baking soda mixture. I'd use a scrub brush to further get out stains and any left over odor. Personally, I'd use the litter, then the baking soda wash. Hope that helps! (06/30/2009)

By alexsma

The oil furnace man spilled kerosene on my carpet inside when fixing our furnace, and I was sickened by the smell it was so bad. I kept sprinkling a lot of baking soda on the spots and then vacuuming it up and applying new as soon as it had absorbed all it could. I blotted the area first to get all the excess I could, which wasn't much. The baking soda that I first applied actually changed to a dingy color and I left it only a few hours before removing that and putting down new. Be generous with the baking soda. It is a cheap and wonderful fix! (06/30/2009)

By themuffster

I don't know how this will work on carpet, but whenever I get gas on something, I found out by accident that this mix I make for salt water reef tanks gets rid of gasoline like magic. This is a mix to raise the hardness of salt water for corals. It's got calcium and magnesium hydroxide, baking soda, and sodium borate. You mix it with water and shake a lot. Use the liquid that comes off of this, the other stuff settles. This has a very high PH, and I don't know if it would bleach things out, but drain cleaner has a high PH. I'd test the carpet in somewhere that doesn't show first. The stuff I have is amazing, it gets rid of the smell, oiliness, and residue in seconds, then I rinse with water. (06/30/2009)

By c t

Pink stuff from the local car parts store. That is its actual name. It is fantastic for gas, oil, and kerosene. (06/30/2009)

By HSLINKS

Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Blue Kerosene Bottle
Cleaning Kerosene Spilled in a Car
Paint Cans with Color Spectrum and Brushes
Saving Money on Paint (Interior)
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 2:06:22 PM on 10.0.1.90 in 939 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.