Home Remedies for Dry or Cracked Feet

Category Home Remedies
Keeping the skin on your feet supple and soft can be a challenge especially when you enjoy being barefoot. This is a guide about home remedies for dry or cracked feet.

Here's a great idea to get those rough heels smooth that I use. Instead of buying costly creams, etc., to keep your heels soft, just apply some hair conditioner to your heels in the shower. Then go over the area with a pumice applicator. A thick conditioner works best. Just be careful while in the shower, since it will make your footing slippery until you rinse it off.

I also add some to my bath scrubby puff with body wash and it hydrates your entire body. Especially welcoming in the winter when skin gets dryer from indoor heat, etc.

By Gigi from Upperco, MD

I am going to do this with a bucket by the sofa. My heels can never get soft. I use vasaline and sock and it's getting a little better.

I suffer from dry, cracked heels. I have tried many lotions and creams to soften and moisturize my feet over the years. When my mother-in-law suggested A+D Ointment for my daughter's dry lips, I had an "Ah Ha" moment and tried it on my heels after my shower. By the next day they were noticeably softer! Two months later, they are even softer and definitely not dry. Thanks, Mom!

By BlueJean from Hubbard Lake, MI

I have the same problem. For many years, my heels were very badly split and would sometimes bleed. I read up on the internet, that the problem is caused by the sweat glands in you feet not working, often due to spending too much time on your feet, and/or being overweight - there are other causes, but these are the most common.

For me, one *positive* side effect, was that my socks didn't stink. The sweat glands product sweat and oil that keep the skin moist. When the skin dries out, the old skin doesn't shed, and pulls apart the new skin underneath.

About once, twice a week, after a sauna (or you can soak your feet in a foot bath/bowl), I scrape my heels with an old pair of scissors - I guess a blunt-ish knife will also work. This removes the old dead skin.

I also now wear socks & slippers in the house (I just used to wear socks) - these keeps my feet warm & sweaty. This keeps the skin moist, as it should be.

Now, the skin on my heels is still rough, but I haven't had any splits, cracks or other sores for a long time. Apart from the slippers (a couple of pairs of socks would do), you do not need to buy creams, lotions, potions, or sacrifice a potato at midnight. Given a chance, your body will heal itself.

I have very dry skin on the soles of my feet and nothing did the trick. I tried slathering a thin layer of my lip balm - Smith's Rosebud Salve on them and have been using it ever since. It's only 5 bucks per tin and works much better than the expensive foot creams I have tried.

Source: Discovered it on my own after noticing that the tin suggested use for chapped skin as well as lips.

By Dove from Chicago, IL

I have been using chap stick on my dry elbows for years, I also buy a new stick for my kids when they have a cold and their nose is raw from blowing it. Once the cold is over, I throw away the tube. Very inexpensive and it really heals that red nose!

My daughter is 9 years old. She has a foot itching problem at night from dry skin. Can someone give me a solution for this?

By Sisira from Oakville, Ontario, Canada

And a p.s. I live in Winnipeg, so you should be able to get them there. Not the usual "best stuff is sold in the U.S. only" scenario!

You might try either Cetaphil lotion or creme on your daughter's feet. It is made without lanolin, which can cause dryness in her feet. If you go on their website you can also get acoupon.

Try using crisco shortening its a great moisturizer for the skin you can heat for a few seconds in the microwave and then apply it to the skin. It contains vitamin a and palm oil which are very good for soothing skin.

I make my own foot balm using Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Yellow Beeswax, Shea Butter, Vitamin E oil and Peppermint Essential Oil. It sets up so I resembles vaseline but is better since it's all natural ingredients. I have sold alot of this at craft shows and Farmer's Markets and people really like it. My daughter used it and healed her cracked feet in 2 days!!

1st make sure you don't have a yeast problem. I suffered from rashes and very dry cracked skin on feet. Used a over the counter yeast infection remedy and to my surprise my dry cracking skin started getting better. I have fibromyalgia and one of side effects in yeast infection problems, so tried over the counter it worked so well talked my doctor into prescribing rx for yeast infection and now dry feet has completely cleared up.

What can I use for dry cracking heels?

By Victoria from So. CA

I get this frequently in the summer, as I go around bare foot a lot! What I have found works wonders is Bag Balm; or the bag balm creme which is known as udderly smooth; with the bag balm put quite a bit on, and then put on a pair of socks and in the morning they should be fine! The creme works well if you simply rub it in, let it soak in, which it does really fast, then rub in again etc; usually I do this at night when watching TV.

Good luck!

I recommend Watkins PetroCarbo Salve if they are in really bad shape. It is medicated.

Watkins also has special peppermint foot repair salve and cream that comes in a neat little gift package with a pair of plush socks. They call it the Heavenly Soles Foot Care Set.

You can find it at http://www.buy-vanilla-pepper.com

I think you'll find these help. I hope you have soft feet in no time!

Coleen

I wish I could remember where, but I just recently read to use diaper rash ointment or cream on your feet to help with the dry, cracking heels.

We've always used Vick's Vapo-Rub on feet though as it's really good for keeping toe nails from getting

dry and brittle for one thing, and a guard against any sort of fungus also. Rub the Vick's in really well, then put on a pair of white socks to sleep in, and the next morning, your feet will feel like new.

It definitely works to keep the nails nice too. Better than anything I've ever used before. Bag Balm is also one of the best all-time remedies for sore feet, cracked heels and britttle nails.

I can remember our doctor always wearing white socks next to his feet even in the daytime with a dark suit on. He just put a black pair on over the white ones, but next to his feet was always white socks. He said our feet sweat a lot, and the dyes in colored socks are not good for our feet. Well, he was our doctor and his word was good enough for me.

I hope this helps you. When feet are sore or are hurting, nothing else feels good either.

Pookarina

Acne astringent pads such as stridex then Eucerin or Vaseline put on socks leave on over night continuous use will result in softer younger heels and feet.

I worked for a pharmacy and heard them say kerasal was the best for that problem.

I tried using hydrocortisone, Vaseline, and baby oil, but withing hours the flakiness and/or itching begins again. What can I use that will work? It is mainly on one foot. No blisters, just a minor itch and lots of flaking especially on the underfoot, the top skin is fine.

By lblobogirl from Philadelphia, PA

I wonder whether you might have athlete's foot. You can find antifungal cream (Clotrimazole Cream USP 1%, for instance), at the pharmacy, and even the dollar stores, at times. Might be worth a try.

The heels and balls of my feet are cracking badly and are very painful. I've tried everything I can think of and need some help because it isn't working. Suggestions please! Thanks so much.

By Mindy

Answers:

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

My podiatrist suggested this and it works for me: Before you go to bed, cover cracked area with Udderly Smooth Shea Butter Foot Cream (Walmart), then wrap with Saran wrap and carefully put on a sock. Your feet are so smooth in the morning. It may work just as well with another cream. I think the plastic wrap is the trick. (07/24/2010)

By Betty F.

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

I have good luck putting on a lot of Vaseline petroleum jelly and then covering with a sock overnight. Also, the foot scraper things (PedEgg thing) works well to get rid of the dry skin. I've also used Heel-Tastic and it works well. (07/27/2010)

By mulberry204

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

I use Olay Quench Body Lotion. It works immediately. I would use it several times a day. I hope it will work as well for you. (07/27/2010)

By Danialle

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

Fullers Earth is what my husband and I use. Covering with a sock is wise so that it doesn't mark anything else. It soon helps cracks heal up and the hard areas to soften. Hope it works for you. (07/27/2010)

By Anigma

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

Prevention is the key, once you have them healed. My feet get callused and cracked and dry in the summer because I wear sandals all the time. Use a callus remover on your feet often to get off the hard dry skin. I do this when my feet are dry. It is far more effective than after a tub. I use a metal scraper, which I got in the drug store. I find it is more efficient than a pumice stone. I sometimes use a pumice stone in the shower on wet feet to smooth them out. A really good foot cream used nightly also helps in prevention. (07/27/2010)

By louel53

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

This sounds crazy, but it's true. Some fungi cause this like athletes foot fungus. Get some Lotramin and put this on for about two weeks and you may be really amazed. It does eventually come back though, so keep a tube in your house. Good luck. :) (07/27/2010)

By yoder178

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

Wash and dry your feet thoroughly and use a pumice stone to gently exfoliate the cracked skin. Then use a thick cream all over them. Vitamin E cream works very well, but any dense moisturizer will do. Wear socks at night and make sure you keep something on your feet all the time, shoes, slippers, socks, etc. Walking barefooted will only make things worse. You have to do this every day without fail for it to succeed.

If you are worried about fungus, wipe your feet over with apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball. Give them a good soaking and rinse with warm water. If you suffer from smelly feet, soak them in a tub of water as hot as you can stand with a good handful of table salt, then wash as normal. All these methods will reduce the bacteria on your skin and allow the exfoliating and moisturizing to work properly. (07/27/2010)

By Spanish Girl

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

Sounds weird, but slather the dry areas of your feet with Vicks Vapo rub. Get a generic, it's cheaper than the name brand. Put it on your feet and put on a pair of socks. Do this before you go to bed. It's the eucalyptus oil in the product that does it. Got this info from my podiatrist. I've used it and it works great! (07/27/2010)

By lovethosehounds

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

If you are a diabetic, check with the doctor for care. Get Epsom salts, soak your feet for about 30 minutes in the solution mixture on the package. Then smear your feet with triple antibiotic and top that with plain old Vaseline petroleum jelly. Then apply socks. Wear this to bed a couple of nights to a few weeks. Works great without all the fancy creams, etc.
(07/27/2010)

By T&T Grandma

For dry cracking feet that even doctors have a problem with. I have found that Blue Stuff with Emu Oil heals your feet even if they are bleeding from being cracked. You can get it at Wal-Mart or on TV. I am a diabetic and it's the only thing that helped me.

By Helen

Answers:

Dry and Cracking Foot Remedy

It is called Blu Emu at Walmart. It is found in the section with muscle rubs, etc. usually runs roughly 10 to 15 dollars per jar. (08/10/2005)