Browsing: Homemade Baby Shower Gifts

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Baby Shower Gifts

Add a touch of extra love and uniqueness to a baby shower gift by making it yourself. This is a guide about homemade baby shower gifts.

Women looking at a baby shower gift
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 20, 2010 Flag

Tired of seeing the same old diaper theme baby shower cakes? I have been making them for a while now and have been wanting to get more creative with them. The perfect opportunity came when I found out I was going to be a grandma again.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake

July 12, 2011 Flag

Collages are so much fun and easy to create. I made these two puppy dog collages for my daughter's friend, who is expecting a baby boy. I used her nursery colors of blue and brown for my inspiration. My local craft store recently had their canvases on sale for 50% off, so I have very little invested in my gift.

Approximate Time: About 2 hours

Instructions:

1. Search children's coloring books or the internet for an animal picture as a template. You will need 2 copies of each one, one to use to cut up for your pattern pieces and one to use as an assembly guide.

2. If you don't want your canvases to be white, "wash" a color over them using some acrylic paint thinned with water. I used brown acrylic paint and water and applied the wash with a foam brush and used a paper towel to wipe off the excess. You may need to repeat this process until you achieve your desired color.

3. Next, use painter's tape to tape off a 5/8 inch border. Paint the border and sides using acrylic paint and allow to dry. Dog portrait back

4. While waiting for the border paint to dry, you can cut out your pattern pieces. Lay each piece on the scrapbook paper you want to use for each body part. Use a pencil to trace around each piece and cut them out. I tried to mix mine up a bit. (It looks better to make both ears the same, both paws the same, etc.) Dog portrait template pieces

5. Once your canvas is dry, remove the painter's tape. Assemble your animal by applying Mod Podge to the back of each body part and position it on your canvas. It is best to start with the body and head, then apply ears, paws, and facial features.

6. Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the entire animal once all pieces are glued down. Dip the end of a cotton swab in cream acrylic paint to create the polka dots on the border. Dog portrait 1

7. Once the whole thing had dried (overnight), I brushed on a layer of Mod Podge over the entire piece, even on the sides.

8. Once completely dry, tie each piece of ribbon into a bow, leaving even tails on each one.

9. Hot glue the tails to the back corners of each canvas. When dry, they will be ready to hang! Note: You could use wallpaper or construction paper if you don't have scrapbook paper on hand.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

February 23, 2010 Flag

Roll each diaper individually and secure with a rubber band. Most diapers have a pattern at the top of the diaper, if you don't want this to show, start rolling from the pattern end, finishing with the white on the outside.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake

March 30, 2011 Flag

Finished wreath.This is a diaper shower gift that I made for my granddaughter for her baby shower.

Approximate Time: 60 min

Instructions:

1. I took a diaper opened it up and put it on the wreath much like you would put a diaper on a baby
  2. Tie the ribbon around the diaper, put the ribbon on the back and tie it on the front with wooden animals. I used 4 or 6 wooden animals
  3. Curl the ribbon and move on to the next diaper, one at a time until the whole wreath has diapers and wooden animals, as well as, other items that you might want to tie on. I used teething rings and small stuffed animals. You could use face cloths or anything for the baby.
Young woman with wreath around her neck.

It is cute and easy to make (my granddaughter loved it). I made this wreath and entered it on a baby shower gifts website, they put it up and it's still there. :)

By Jackie from Salisbury, MD

May 11, 2009 Flag

This is my 2nd diaper cake. A "Love Bug" cake. I made it for a friend at work. I used; 56 rolled up diapers, receiving blankets, baby rattles & such, washcloths, a love bug to top it off & lots of curling ribbon for color. She loves it.

Love Bug Diaper Cake

January 11, 2008 Flag

Diaper Cakes are all the rage as a baby shower gift. Here are instruction on how to make one for half the cost of buying one.

How to Make a Diaper Cake

September 13, 2011 Flag

Try making a diaper cake for a baby shower. These darling diaper cakes make quite a beautiful site as a centerpiece for a baby shower. They are unique in that you can use almost every item bundled in this cake.

Very tall diaper cake with a white teddy bear on top.

April 16, 2007 Flag

One of my best friends is expecting a little girl next month. We are throwing a surprise shower lunch for her at work and I thought that a "onesie cake" would be adorable for the table.

variation on diaper cake

July 23, 2005 Flag

This is a photo of a Diaper Cake my niece recieved at her baby shower. It was made from pampers and stacked two layers high. Tiny ribbon weaved through it held it together and small "necessities" were tucked around the layers.

Diaper Cake2

April 24, 2010 Flag

Is it inappropriate or weird to give handmade jewelry as a baby shower gift? I am a professional jewelry artist and my sister is having a baby shower. I'd like to give her a special necklace that I made for her, but I don't know if it's appropriate or not. I did also get a baby gift, but I want to give my sister something just for her. Thanks.

By Stephanie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think she will love your gift forever!

Thanks for all the detailed and encouraging feedback! I'm happy to say that my sister was thrilled with the necklace and the gifts for the babies. And everything looks great for their delivery next month!

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

February 28, 2012 Flag

84 Blues Clues diapers were used for this cake, with small clear rubber bands and an empty paper towel tube filled with 3 diapers.

Blues Clues Diaper Cake with lace and ribbons.

May 2, 2012 Flag

I did these for my son's baby shower. They are really cute. You can fill a small basket with blankets, they look like candies.

Receiving Blanket Candy 9

November 4, 2008 Flag

How do you make a "diaper cake" out of disposable diapers? I am hosting a baby shower and would like to make one if it is not too complicated. Thanks in advance.

March 9, 2010 Flag

I would like to have the directions to the diaper cake pattern and other baby shower ideas, and gifts.

Load More
Crafts Baby ItemsAugust 8, 2013
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Baby Shower Diaper Cake
Making a Diaper Cake
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 10:08:18 AM on 10.0.1.178 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.