Homemade Baby Shower Gifts

Add a touch of extra love and uniqueness to a baby shower gift by making it yourself. This is a guide about homemade baby shower gifts.

Women looking at a baby shower gift
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Tired of seeing the same old diaper theme baby shower cakes? I have been making them for a while now and have been wanting to get more creative with them. The perfect opportunity came when I found out I was going to be a grandma again.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dog portrait 1Collages are so much fun and easy to create. I made these two puppy dog collages for my daughter's friend, who is expecting a baby boy. I used her nursery colors of blue and brown for my inspiration. My local craft store recently had their canvases on sale for 50% off, so I have very little invested in my gift.

Approximate Time: About 2 hours

• two 8-inch square canvases
  • brown and cream acrylic paint
  • painter's tape
  • foam brush
  • 2 copies of each dog/animal pattern
  • Mod Podge
  • scrapbook paper in 4-5 coordinating colors
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • two 24-inch lengths of ribbon
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • cotton swab

Instructions:

1. Search children's coloring books or the internet for an animal picture as a template. You will need 2 copies of each one, one to use to cut up for your pattern pieces and one to use as an assembly guide.

2. If you don't want your canvases to be white, "wash" a color over them using some acrylic paint thinned with water. I used brown acrylic paint and water and applied the wash with a foam brush and used a paper towel to wipe off the excess. You may need to repeat this process until you achieve your desired color.

3. Next, use painter's tape to tape off a 5/8 inch border. Paint the border and sides using acrylic paint and allow to dry. Dog portrait back

4. While waiting for the border paint to dry, you can cut out your pattern pieces. Lay each piece on the scrapbook paper you want to use for each body part. Use a pencil to trace around each piece and cut them out. I tried to mix mine up a bit. (It looks better to make both ears the same, both paws the same, etc.) Dog portrait template pieces

5. Once your canvas is dry, remove the painter's tape. Assemble your animal by applying Mod Podge to the back of each body part and position it on your canvas. It is best to start with the body and head, then apply ears, paws, and facial features.

6. Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the entire animal once all pieces are glued down. Dip the end of a cotton swab in cream acrylic paint to create the polka dots on the border. Dog portrait 1

7. Once the whole thing had dried (overnight), I brushed on a layer of Mod Podge over the entire piece, even on the sides.

8. Once completely dry, tie each piece of ribbon into a bow, leaving even tails on each one.

9. Hot glue the tails to the back corners of each canvas. When dry, they will be ready to hang! Note: You could use wallpaper or construction paper if you don't have scrapbook paper on hand.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Roll each diaper individually and secure with a rubber band. Most diapers have a pattern at the top of the diaper, if you don't want this to show, start rolling from the pattern end, finishing with the white on the outside.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake

Is it inappropriate or weird to give handmade jewelry as a baby shower gift? I am a professional jewelry artist and my sister is having a baby shower. I'd like to give her a special necklace that I made for her, but I don't know if it's appropriate or not. I did also get a baby gift, but I want to give my sister something just for her. Thanks.

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for all the detailed and encouraging feedback! I'm happy to say that my sister was thrilled with the necklace and the gifts for the babies. And everything looks great for their delivery next month!

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

Read More Answers...

Finished wreath.This is a diaper shower gift that I made for my granddaughter for her baby shower.

Approximate Time: 60 min

• 16 inches of floral craft straw wreath
  • pack of 28 size 3 diapers that have a design
  • curling ribbon, I used yellow and blue
  • small baby items for baby, like wash cloths, teething ring, just about anything small
  • I used several wooden animals painted and cute, I paid .54 each at Wal-Mart
  • small stuffed animals

Instructions:

1. I took a diaper opened it up and put it on the wreath much like you would put a diaper on a baby
  2. Tie the ribbon around the diaper, put the ribbon on the back and tie it on the front with wooden animals. I used 4 or 6 wooden animals
  3. Curl the ribbon and move on to the next diaper, one at a time until the whole wreath has diapers and wooden animals, as well as, other items that you might want to tie on. I used teething rings and small stuffed animals. You could use face cloths or anything for the baby.
Young woman with wreath around her neck.

It is cute and easy to make (my granddaughter loved it). I made this wreath and entered it on a baby shower gifts website, they put it up and it's still there. :)

By Jackie from Salisbury, MD

This is my 2nd diaper cake. A "Love Bug" cake. I made it for a friend at work. I used; 56 rolled up diapers, receiving blankets, baby rattles & such, washcloths, a love bug to top it off & lots of curling ribbon for color. She loves it.

Love Bug Diaper Cake

How do you make a "diaper cake" out of disposable diapers? I am hosting a baby shower and would like to make one if it is not too complicated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara from Kingsport, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

DIAPER CAKE : Open up a diaper and roll it from the design (front of the diaper) to the other end. Roll the diaper up real tight as it makes the cake look the best. Put a rubber band around the diaper in the middle. Repeat for the rest of the diapers, that you will be using for the diaper cake.

BOTTOM LAYER: Takes about 36 diapers. You will have 3 rings of diapers, if you want a "large" cake. Otherwise if you want a smaller cake, than do 2 rings. First ring will take about 6 diapers. Place diapers in a circle standing them on end around a 2 oz. sample size baby magic baby product or a 4 oz, baby bottle.

Put a large rubber band around this layer. Second ring will take about 12 diapers. Put the diapers around the first ring of diapers and place a large rubber band around this ring to hold diapers in place. Third ring will take about 18 diapers. Put diapers around the second ring of diapers and put a large rubber band around this ring also.

MIDDLE LAYER: Takes about 18 diapers. Repeat as above, except just make two rings of diapers. If you choose to do a 2 layer cake, put an 8 oz. bottle in the middle of the first ring. Otherwise if you do a 3 layer cake, then place a 2 oz. baby magic product or 4 oz. baby bottle in the middle.

TOP LAYER: Takes about 6 diapers for 1 ring. Place an 8 oz. bottle in the middle. Or forget the bottle in the middle and add an extra diaper and top off with a small stuffed animal or toy. Don't forget to put a large rubber band around each ring. Finish off with placing a half inch wide ribbon around each layer to hide the rubber bands on the outer rings of diapers. Place the smaller layers on top of the larger one.

You can tuck little baby things in between each diaper. Place the taller things (like bottle brushes, baby brushes, spoons) on the outer edge of the layer so that it does not interfere with placing the smaller layer on top. You can wrap a receiving blanket around the middle layer of diapers. Fold the blanket the same height as the diapers and fasten the ends together with diaper pins.

Have fun, be creative. Put in a clear plastic garbage bag. Attach a poem: "Here is a cake made with love, though I wouldn't call it yummy. For the ingredients that were used go on a baby's bottom, not in a tummy. Flour, sugar, milk, and eggs will make a cake so sweet, but diapers, blankets, and baby socks will make a handy treat."

Here are some other poems:

Here's a special gift I made just for you. I didn't have to sew or even use glue. It's filled with lots of things you see, but most of all with love from me!

Here's a cake for your special day,

Because the stork is on her way.

It's filled with lots of things for you,

On the outside, and inside, too.

Place them in your diaper bag,

So all the necessities you will have.

For the big day soon will come,

When you can show off your little one!

written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

Baby Cakes are so much fun,

they're sure to delight a new mom.

Filled with things from A to Z,

So many things a baby needs.

Diapers, toys, powders, and pins,

Wonderful times will soon begin!

written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

Here's a special gift I made just for you.

I didn't have to sew or even use glue,

It's filled with lots of things you see,

But most of all with love from me!

written by ~ Laura Kaye ~

6 Cloth Diapers, you can wash every day

6 More Diapers, you can throw away

Fold in 1 bib, in case baby should dribble

Add in 4 socks, to cover toes as they wiggle

Fold in 1 shirt (onsie), to keep in the heat

Bind with 4 pins, to keep the cake neat

written by ~ Tami Enos ~

Take 2 cloth diapers, you can wash every day

Add 6 disposable diapers, you can throw away

Fold in 2 blankets, to keep baby cozy

Add in 4 socks, to cover their toesies

Add in 1 shirt, to keep in the heat

Fold in 1 bib, to make cake complete

Then bind with 4 pins, to keep the cake neat

written by ~ Tami Enos ~

You will need:

14 - medium size diapers (depending on what size you want you may use more or less diapers)

1 - baby bottle

1 each - travel size lotion, powders, bath, shampoo, diaper rash

1 - small bib

1 - receiving blanket

1 - book

1 - brush and comb set

1 - set of baby fingernail clippers

1 - travel size Q-tips

1 - teether

1 - rattle

1 - cellophane bag (optional)

curly ribbon (optional)

rubber bands

lace and tape or ribbon

Take a diaper and open it and wrap it around the bottom of the baby bottle. Secure with rubber band. Take three more diapers and follow the same procedure. Pull the baby bottle up enough so there is room to place half of the bottle of powders inside, under the bottle. Lay aside.

Take another diaper and open it and wrap it around the bottom half of the bottle of baby powders. Secure with rubber band. Do the same with the remaining diapers. Now place the top of the bottle of powders inside the diapers with the baby bottle. Wrap a receiving blanket around the bottom and secure with rubber band. Place the brush and comb set behind the baby bottle, secure with rubber band. Place the book at the back on top of the bottom section and secure with rubber band. Tie the bib around the baby bottle so that it hangs in the front.

Place the rest of the items all around the cake to fill in the gaps. Place ribbon around the cake to hide rubber bands and tie or use lace and tape in the back. Print above poem and attach to cake. Place the cake inside a cellophane bag and tie with curly ribbon.

*You can use any items you would like.

*Add more or less.

*Use washcloths to make small ones called "cupcakes".

*Use disposable or cloth diapers.

*As you wrap the diapers around, hide small items inside the cake.

You can make it as simple or as fancy as you like. The one I made I decorated with flowers and butterflies, little baby girl shoes and candy flower lollypops. It was delightful and a HUGE hit at my daughter's baby shower. Good luck!

Best Answer

Search youtube for directions and use your own imagination. It will turn out great!

Read More Answers...

I would like to have the directions to the diaper cake pattern and other baby shower ideas, and gifts. Thank you.

By Delilah from Columbia, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

An easy-to-do game I have used before is fun, easy and very frugal.

Make a list of items a baby uses or needs or even an action word will work.

Sample list:

PARDISE

CARIPFIE

ETOBLT

Ask the players to unscramble the letters as quickly as they can. Set a timer (according to how long the list is).

Every player will need a copy of the list, pencil or pen and paper. It's likely they will be writing on their laps so make some magazines available to use as a writing surface.

When the time is up, the person with the most correct answers wins.

The dollar stores have fun little items that you can use as "prizes". They are even more special if they are wrapped up in pretty paper with cute bows.

If you plan on playing more than one game set the "prizes" out on a table and let the winner choose which one they want. Be prepared for a tie. If prizes are limited, have a second list you have made up ahead of time and let the tied contestants do a play-off. This time the one who gets all the words unscrambled first wins!

By the way, the answers to the scrambles above are:

DIAPERS

PACIFIER

BOTTLE

I did not check my own spelling, so please go ahead and do that! To add a little something special to another person's post regarding the guests each bringing a bag of disposable diapers, add something to the invitation that says everyone who brings a bag of diapers will get a raffle ticket or be in a special drawing (you can make these up yourself, something as easy as dropping a slip of paper into a hat or bowl with the guests name on it). Have a great time!

OH, one more game I think is hysterical is to have a ball of string or yarn and a pair of scissors handy. Have each guest cut a piece of the string or yarn to the size of the mommy-to-be's belly - where she is widest around.

There will be very short and very, very long strings. The one closest to the actual size wins. If there are a lot of people measure the mommy's belly then cut a string to that size to measure up against. If there are fewer people it's really fun and can become hysterical for each guest to measure her string around the guest of honor's tummy. Be sure to take lots of photos!

Best Answer

For a game that has been a hit at many baby showers go here http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf59062326.tip.html

Read More Answers...

Try making a diaper cake for a baby shower. These darling diaper cakes make quite a beautiful site as a centerpiece for a baby shower. They are unique in that you can use almost every item bundled in this cake.

Very tall diaper cake with a white teddy bear on top.

Diaper Cakes are all the rage as a baby shower gift. Here are instruction on how to make one for half the cost of buying one.

How to Make a Diaper Cake

One of my best friends is expecting a little girl next month. We are throwing a surprise shower lunch for her at work and I thought that a "onesie cake" would be adorable for the table.

variation on diaper cake

Do you know how to make the original 3 tier cake where you wrap Styrofoam with baby blankets and pin baby items onto each layer decorating the cake. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I used a cute baby bottle as the center. For bottom layer I rolled up receiving blankets around the bottle. The second layer was rolled up cloth diapers (or you could use disposable). I used straight pins in the center to secure both layers. On outside I used diaper pins. The top layer was baby wash clothes and socks. It was big. I recommend making and transporting layers separately, then put them together at the shower. Decorate the cake with small baby stuff, such as pacifiers, rattles, teething necklaces, etc.. Go crazy. It is so cute and fun. You can also use party decorations to match. Well good luck! Ohhhh, and tuck some chocolate inside for mommy!

Read More Answers...

This is a photo of a Diaper Cake my niece recieved at her baby shower. It was made from pampers and stacked two layers high. Tiny ribbon weaved through it held it together and small "necessities" were tucked around the layers.

Diaper Cake2

Does anyone have a pattern for the baby shower diaper cake?

Sandy from Stewartstown, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't have a suggestion for the diaper cake idea, but I do have a suggestion for a diaper wreath. My girlfriend gave me one when my last baby was born and I loved it so much I made one for my sister-in-law who is expecting her first little girl (after 4 boys) any day now.

You will need a wire wreath form. Open the diapers slightly and sandwich it around the wire wreath form. Use a tiny hair rubber band to scrunch the diaper up a little and help it stay on the wreath. Go all the way around the whole wreath. Then use curling ribbon to cover the rubber band and also add additional support to keep the diaper on the wreath. Then use some curling ribbon to attach "baby items" around the wreath. I used diaper rash ointment, pacifiers, a bottle, a bottle of baby oil and baby lotion, a brush/comb set, etc.

The fun part is to find diapers that might match the color scheme. For instance, I found that the Walmart brand White Cloud has purple diapers. These are what I used to make the wreath for my sister-in-law. But Pampers Swaddlers are yellow and Pampers Baby Dry are green, Huggies have blueish colored diapers. Anyways, you can use a different brand to make a more "girly" or "boyish" wreath or one that is more unisex.

Read More Answers...

How do you make a baby shower cake?

By fefiep from Port Huron, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Easy! Roll up individual diapers, rubber band around each one. Then stack them and decorate with ribbon or whatever you like.

Read More Answers...

84 Blues Clues diapers were used for this cake, with small clear rubber bands and an empty paper towel tube filled with 3 diapers.

Blues Clues Diaper Cake with lace and ribbons.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did these for my son's baby shower. They are really cute. You can fill a small basket with blankets, they look like candies.

Receiving Blanket Candy 9

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Crafts Baby ItemsAugust 8, 2013
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Baby Shower Diaper Cake
Making a Diaper Cake
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 4:26:56 PM on 10.0.2.98 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.