Homemade Baby Shower Gifts

Add a touch of extra love and uniqueness to a baby shower gift by making it yourself. This is a guide about homemade baby shower gifts.

Women looking at a baby shower gift
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Tired of seeing the same old diaper theme baby shower cakes? I have been making them for a while now and have been wanting to get more creative with them. The perfect opportunity came when I found out I was going to be a grandma again.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 12, 2011 Flag

Collages are so much fun and easy to create. I made these two puppy dog collages for my daughter's friend, who is expecting a baby boy. I used her nursery colors of blue and brown for my inspiration. My local craft store recently had their canvases on sale for 50% off, so I have very little invested in my gift.

Approximate Time: About 2 hours

• two 8-inch square canvases
  • brown and cream acrylic paint
  • painter's tape
  • foam brush
  • 2 copies of each dog/animal pattern
  • Mod Podge
  • scrapbook paper in 4-5 coordinating colors
  • pencil
  • scissors
  • two 24-inch lengths of ribbon
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • cotton swab

Instructions:

1. Search children's coloring books or the internet for an animal picture as a template. You will need 2 copies of each one, one to use to cut up for your pattern pieces and one to use as an assembly guide.

2. If you don't want your canvases to be white, "wash" a color over them using some acrylic paint thinned with water. I used brown acrylic paint and water and applied the wash with a foam brush and used a paper towel to wipe off the excess. You may need to repeat this process until you achieve your desired color.

3. Next, use painter's tape to tape off a 5/8 inch border. Paint the border and sides using acrylic paint and allow to dry. Dog portrait back

4. While waiting for the border paint to dry, you can cut out your pattern pieces. Lay each piece on the scrapbook paper you want to use for each body part. Use a pencil to trace around each piece and cut them out. I tried to mix mine up a bit. (It looks better to make both ears the same, both paws the same, etc.) Dog portrait template pieces

5. Once your canvas is dry, remove the painter's tape. Assemble your animal by applying Mod Podge to the back of each body part and position it on your canvas. It is best to start with the body and head, then apply ears, paws, and facial features.

6. Apply a coat of Mod Podge over the entire animal once all pieces are glued down. Dip the end of a cotton swab in cream acrylic paint to create the polka dots on the border. Dog portrait 1

7. Once the whole thing had dried (overnight), I brushed on a layer of Mod Podge over the entire piece, even on the sides.

8. Once completely dry, tie each piece of ribbon into a bow, leaving even tails on each one.

9. Hot glue the tails to the back corners of each canvas. When dry, they will be ready to hang! Note: You could use wallpaper or construction paper if you don't have scrapbook paper on hand.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Roll each diaper individually and secure with a rubber band. Most diapers have a pattern at the top of the diaper, if you don't want this to show, start rolling from the pattern end, finishing with the white on the outside.

Baby Shower Diaper Cake

April 24, 2010 Flag

Is it inappropriate or weird to give handmade jewelry as a baby shower gift? I am a professional jewelry artist and my sister is having a baby shower. I'd like to give her a special necklace that I made for her, but I don't know if it's appropriate or not. I did also get a baby gift, but I want to give my sister something just for her. Thanks.

By Stephanie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for all the detailed and encouraging feedback! I'm happy to say that my sister was thrilled with the necklace and the gifts for the babies. And everything looks great for their delivery next month!

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

Read More Answers...

March 30, 2011 Flag

Finished wreath.This is a diaper shower gift that I made for my granddaughter for her baby shower.

Approximate Time: 60 min

• 16 inches of floral craft straw wreath
  • pack of 28 size 3 diapers that have a design
  • curling ribbon, I used yellow and blue
  • small baby items for baby, like wash cloths, teething ring, just about anything small
  • I used several wooden animals painted and cute, I paid .54 each at Wal-Mart
  • small stuffed animals

Instructions:

1. I took a diaper opened it up and put it on the wreath much like you would put a diaper on a baby
  2. Tie the ribbon around the diaper, put the ribbon on the back and tie it on the front with wooden animals. I used 4 or 6 wooden animals
  3. Curl the ribbon and move on to the next diaper, one at a time until the whole wreath has diapers and wooden animals, as well as, other items that you might want to tie on. I used teething rings and small stuffed animals. You could use face cloths or anything for the baby.
Young woman with wreath around her neck.

It is cute and easy to make (my granddaughter loved it). I made this wreath and entered it on a baby shower gifts website, they put it up and it's still there. :)

By Jackie from Salisbury, MD

This is my 2nd diaper cake. A "Love Bug" cake. I made it for a friend at work. I used; 56 rolled up diapers, receiving blankets, baby rattles & such, washcloths, a love bug to top it off & lots of curling ribbon for color. She loves it.

Love Bug Diaper Cake

November 4, 2008 Flag

How do you make a "diaper cake" out of disposable diapers? I am hosting a baby shower and would like to make one if it is not too complicated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara from Kingsport, TN

Best Answer

Search youtube for directions and use your own imagination. It will turn out great!

Read More Answers...

March 9, 2010 Flag

I would like to have the directions to the diaper cake pattern and other baby shower ideas, and gifts. Thank you.

By Delilah from Columbia, SC

Best Answer

For a game that has been a hit at many baby showers go here http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf59062326.tip.html

Read More Answers...

Try making a diaper cake for a baby shower. These darling diaper cakes make quite a beautiful site as a centerpiece for a baby shower. They are unique in that you can use almost every item bundled in this cake.

Very tall diaper cake with a white teddy bear on top.

Diaper Cakes are all the rage as a baby shower gift. Here are instruction on how to make one for half the cost of buying one.

How to Make a Diaper Cake

One of my best friends is expecting a little girl next month. We are throwing a surprise shower lunch for her at work and I thought that a "onesie cake" would be adorable for the table.

variation on diaper cake

July 21, 2008 Flag

Do you know how to make the original 3 tier cake where you wrap Styrofoam with baby blankets and pin baby items onto each layer decorating the cake. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Donna

Best Answer

I used a cute baby bottle as the center. For bottom layer I rolled up receiving blankets around the bottle. The second layer was rolled up cloth diapers (or you could use disposable). I used straight pins in the center to secure both layers. On outside I used diaper pins. The top layer was baby wash clothes and socks. It was big. I recommend making and transporting layers separately, then put them together at the shower. Decorate the cake with small baby stuff, such as pacifiers, rattles, teething necklaces, etc.. Go crazy. It is so cute and fun. You can also use party decorations to match. Well good luck! Ohhhh, and tuck some chocolate inside for mommy!

Read More Answers...

This is a photo of a Diaper Cake my niece recieved at her baby shower. It was made from pampers and stacked two layers high. Tiny ribbon weaved through it held it together and small "necessities" were tucked around the layers.

Diaper Cake2

January 10, 2008 Flag

Does anyone have a pattern for the baby shower diaper cake?

Sandy from Stewartstown, PA

Best Answer

I don't have a suggestion for the diaper cake idea, but I do have a suggestion for a diaper wreath. My girlfriend gave me one when my last baby was born and I loved it so much I made one for my sister-in-law who is expecting her first little girl (after 4 boys) any day now.

You will need a wire wreath form. Open the diapers slightly and sandwich it around the wire wreath form. Use a tiny hair rubber band to scrunch the diaper up a little and help it stay on the wreath. Go all the way around the whole wreath. Then use curling ribbon to cover the rubber band and also add additional support to keep the diaper on the wreath. Then use some curling ribbon to attach "baby items" around the wreath. I used diaper rash ointment, pacifiers, a bottle, a bottle of baby oil and baby lotion, a brush/comb set, etc.

The fun part is to find diapers that might match the color scheme. For instance, I found that the Walmart brand White Cloud has purple diapers. These are what I used to make the wreath for my sister-in-law. But Pampers Swaddlers are yellow and Pampers Baby Dry are green, Huggies have blueish colored diapers. Anyways, you can use a different brand to make a more "girly" or "boyish" wreath or one that is more unisex.

Read More Answers...

June 10, 2009 Flag

How do you make a baby shower cake?

By fefiep from Port Huron, MI

Best Answer

Easy! Roll up individual diapers, rubber band around each one. Then stack them and decorate with ribbon or whatever you like.

Read More Answers...

84 Blues Clues diapers were used for this cake, with small clear rubber bands and an empty paper towel tube filled with 3 diapers.

Blues Clues Diaper Cake with lace and ribbons.

I did these for my son's baby shower. They are really cute. You can fill a small basket with blankets, they look like candies.

Receiving Blanket Candy 9

I wanted to share the diaper cake that I made for my sister's baby shower. It makes a great decoration as well as gift!

Diaper Cake

Baby showers, what fun. This is the diaper cake I made. Rosebuds and baby carriages was the theme. Silk rosebuds used on the diaper cake, decorated wire baby carriage, and wooden letters. Also silk roses placed around the punch bowl. It was a beautiful shower.

I made the basic diaper cake and decorated it with red and blue bandannas, bandanna ribbon, western/cowboy pictures for the scrapbook later, J&J baby products, and paper shred.

A cowboy themed diaper cake for a baby shower, in red and blue.

May 19, 2008 Flag

Does anyone know how to make a diaper wreath? I saw one at a craft fair. One was made for a boy, and the other for a girl.

I used a wicker wreath and put the diapers around it & secured each with a rubber band. Then I just started decorating.

They are REALLY easy to make.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Crafts Baby ItemsAugust 8, 2013
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Baby Shower Diaper Cake
Making a Diaper Cake
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 11, 2016 at 5:04:23 PM on 10.0.0.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.