Homemade Barbecue Sauce

My husband and I make an easy barbecue sauce (a thin brush-on type, not the thick kind) that is great for summer cookouts. It works good on chicken and pork (esp. ribs!), and you can even use it on steaks. Use the cheapest brands for all the ingredients. Believe me, it tastes better than the store-bought BBQ sauces! Here's how to make it:

In a stainless steel pot, combine:

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup mustard
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 cups apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • a liberal dash of hot pepper sauce
  • 2 cups water

Mix and cook all the ingredients about an hr. over low heat. BBQ sauce will be thin, not thick, and can be brushed over grilling meats. Store in refrigerator in a container. Should last at least a month.

OR you can parboil ribs, chicken, etc. IN the sauce, then use the remainder to brush on the cooking meat. However, if you par-cook any meat in the sauce, use it all up immediately on whatever you are cooking . . . once it is "contaminated" by the meat, do not save it.

Ness - Lakeview, NY

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Sounds good I think I will try it let you know soon. (08/06/2004)

By jlbbryant

An Easy BBQ sauce Just for You

Ketchup and cola mixed together. More or less cola as needed.
Yes it really tastes just like BBQ sauce.

By Ardis Ilene Barnes (05/19/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Yes! I have used coke and ketchup for years and it does work in a pinch! I also add brown sugar, onions, and seasoning like onion powder, etc., whatever you perfer. Honey can also be added if you really like it sweet! (07/03/2005)

By Kathy

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

With the amount of vinegar in the recipe, it should keep almost indefinitely. I make my own sauce and i keep it from fall into spring when I grill again. I've never had a problem with it.
My recipe only has 6 ingredients, but it keeps very well. (05/23/2007)

By duckie43

Homemade Barbecue Sauce
Homemade Barbecue Sauce Recipes
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Quick Barbeque Sauce
Quick Barbecue Sauce Recipes
Southern Barbecue Sauce
Southern Barbecue Sauce Recipes