Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Body Wash Recipes

Homemade Body Wash in a Bottle

Buying body wash at the store can get to be expensive. This page contains homemade body wash recipes.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Super Frothy Body Wash

I like this because it works just as good as the fancy stuff and the ingredients are super cheap.

• 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1/2 cup of cheap dollar store shampoo
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • essential oil of your choice
  • food coloring

Directions:

add canola oil to shampoo. Mix without making bubbles, and add the essential oils and food coloring (optional). Then add the baking powder and the baking soda, and lastly mix in the salt. Pore into a a bottle and apply with a tulle sponge (or any sponge) and enjoy!

By slumbergirl234

Tip: Homemade Creamy Bath and Body Wash

This is something I came up with a few weeks ago and I love it! Very frugal, costs about 25 cents to make and it goes a long way. Great for large families who go through too much shower gel.

• 500ml empty squeeze bottle (I used the dishwashing liquid one and took off the label)

• 1/2 cup organic dishwashing liquid (I used a grapefruit bergamot essential oil one) - use one that biodegrades within 30 days.

• 1 Tbsp. vegetable glycerin

• 2 Tbsp. unscented lotion (the runnier the better, don't use thick cream) - if you have scented, that's ok, too if that's the smell you want)

• water (I used filtered water)

• Idea - I am going to try adding some honey or agave instead of the lotion next time just to see if that will be a good option as well. Would be nice to have different combinations!

If you are using everything unscented in your recipe, feel free to add a few drops of your favourite essential oil to it or keep it unscented if you prefer.

Pour the soap, lotion, glycerin and dish liquid in the bottle then top off with water. Close and shake slowly to mix. I like to leave a little room at the top so the liquid can mix. Squeeze a little onto a bath "pouf" and wash! This tends to make a nice bubble bath too.

I will be making this for visiting backpackers through couch surfing.org for the bathroom downstairs. This is great if you have a lot of people using the shower and you're going through shower gel like crazy. These days you can get all kinds of yummy scented dish liquid. I have a nice organic ylang ylang and grapefruit one that I found on sale for $1. Unscented lotion can be found at dollar stores. Even if you use a higher end one, making this will still be less expensive anyway.

Happy Shower!

Source: Taken from a post on my blog that I wrote: http://thefrugalvegan.wordpress.com

By freya1970 from Halifax, NS

Tip: Antiseptic Body Wash

Make a lovely antiseptic body wash by adding a few drops of tea tree essential oil to your shower gel or foam bath. Shake it well and enjoy!

By jdm001 from London

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Homemade Body Wash Recipes.

Question: Homemade Bodywash

Can I make homemade bodywash from leftover soap pieces?

By Karen

Question: Body Wash Recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for body wash?

By sassier299 from MI

Most Recent Answer

By Hannah10/07/2009

1 tbs canola oil
1/2 cup cheap dollar store shampoo
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
esential oils ( optional)
food coloring (optional)
mix and enjoy

Question: Homemade Body Wash Too Thin

My homemade body wash came out runny. How can I thicken it?

By tlc0324 from Osawatomie, KS

Most Recent Answer

By Hannah10/06/2009

I love this body wash. It is frothy and foamy with a sponge. Try it! It works great. Always do a test patch because some skin types can react differently to other ingredients than others do.

1 tbs canola oil
1/2 cup cheap dollar store shampoo
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
esential oils ( optional)
food coloring (optional)

Mix all ingredients and use with a sponge.

For best results disolve baking powder and baking soda in 1 tbs of very hot water and poor all of it in including the water.