Homemade Cake for a Squirrel and Bird Feeder

I have a squirrel and bird feeder, you can't put in loose bird and squirrel food, it has to be in cake form. The cakes cost $4.00 and they don't last very long. Is there a way to make a homemade cake with a bag of loose bird or squirrel food?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Erica from TN

Answers:

I make my own cakes all the time. I cook down suet. I chunk it up in a pan and cook it down slowly. It will turn to a liquid, but will have a few lumps. The birds don't care. After it cools, I add peanut butter and cornmeal. I don't measure, but you will have a mushy mixture. I then put this into pans, bowls, even muffin tins. Then put it where it can cool and harden. You can also add some bird seed to them. I put 4 muffin tin size pieces in one square feeder. It is a little messy, but it sure is a lot cheaper than buying them in the store. You can vary them by putting other things in them, such as berries, nuts, etc. Have fun. (05/24/2006)

By dameemag

You can buy these suet cakes in the dollar store if you don't want to make your own. They are a dollar apiece. (05/25/2006)

By Carol in PA

Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
A bird eating suet out of a feeder.
Making Homemade Suet
Butterfly Feeder
Making a Butterfly Feeder
🎄