Homemade Carpet Shampoo

How do you make homemade carpet shampoo? I would like to make this shampoo for a Bissell shampooer.

Pat from McKee, Kentucky

Answers:

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

The last time I rented a steam cleaner I bought a tiny little bottle of the recommended liquid cleanser to put in it, for over $10, and it didn't finish even half of my office floor so I read the ingredients on the bottle, went to the dollar store, read labels on all the cleaning products and found that dishwashing powder has the same active ingredient. Of course it's a dry powder instead of a liquid but I had a small sauce pan and a hot plate in the office so I just poured a cup of dishwashing powder into two cups of boiling water, turned off the heat and let it steep for a half hour before using the liquid in the steam cleaner. I assumed the expensive product was more concentrated and used twice as much of the homemade liquid. It worked just fine. The large box of dishwashing powder cost me $2 and I had plenty left over for the next time.

www.don-guitar.com (01/30/2007)

By Don Crowder

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

You people who use soap on your carpets, not only is soap not good for the carpet, because it can usually never be properly rinsed out, but it ATTRACTS more dirt! Dirt will actually stick to the spots you cleaned up with "soap". The best way to clean up any odor, stain, etc from carpet is to mix vinegar with very hot water (30% and 70%). Use a plain white dishcloth to gently run the carpet. I usually put down clean towels over the wet spots until it is dry (so if someone walks on it, it doesn't get dirty). Once it is dry, take the towels off, vacuum and there you have it! Clean, odor free carpet that looks brand new! (06/25/2007)

By Mary

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Just want to say that I used a little bit of simple green in the water in my machine and then rinsed with hot water and vinegar per instructions above .. I will tell you this is the best solution. My carpet has never looked like this except when it was first installed. I never thought of using vinegar until I read this post. THANKS EVERYONE! (07/28/2007)

By Carrie from MA

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

OK, I'm now convinced that I need to use vinegar and hot water to clean my carpets better than what I have been using (store bought Bissell products). But I'm unsure about the dilution formula. 50-50? 1 cup vinegar, 3 cups hot water? Do I pour the solution into the machine's water bladder which places the water on the carpet or into the shampoo dispenser that is separate? I have a Bissell Pro Heat. I've emailed Bissell for advice but they were of no help. They actually suggested that I get in touch with a "professional cleaner"....geesh! Thanks for your help. (09/09/2007)

By skeeter

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Does anyone have an idea for homemade DRY carpet shampoo? (09/10/2007)

By Wanda

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Pouring Shampoo
Uses for Shampoo
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
A dog after a bath.
Homemade Dog Shampoo Recipes
🎄