Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes

When you don't have time to shampoo and wait for the carpet to dry, make your own dry carpet cleaner. This page contains dry carpet cleaner recipes.

I have found that by mixing a ratio of 5 lbs white cornmeal and 2 lbs of cornstarch together will make a very nice carpet cleaner. I sprinkle it on using my small mesh strainer and scrub it in with a long handled brush. Wait at least one hour, 2 is better; and then vacuum it up. I was using an expensive dry cleaner and I found that this was better. No chemicals either. Safe to walk on and for pets.

By Sheila S

Top Comment

Never put soap in your carpet. It is sticky and will always attract dirt. You cannot get it out no matter what you do unless you drag it on the lawn and rinse.

If you clean a spot with soap you will always have that spot which will bleed up and attrack dirt.

I have a clean mop that I use to mop my carpet with a very mild vinegar water solution. I use a lot of throw rugs which are easier to pick up and wash than to clean the carpet.

Top Comment

1 cup borax 2 cup corn meal 1/2 cup baking soda works most time. For heavy stains may need an acid wash.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a tried and true homemade DRY carpet cleaner?

Wanda Paul from Fincastle, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Get some bicarb soda, pour into resealable plastic pouch, add a few drops of lemon essential oil, close the bag and knead for a minute. Let rest for 1 hr, then sprinkle on your carpet (try on inconspicuous corner first to see if the carpet is color fast). work in with a scrubber and let sit for 2 hours, then vacuum thoroughly.

I used to freshen up carpets while I was working as a massage therapist and the salon owner insisted on carpet underneath the tables. This stuff got the oil stains out, the colors were much brighter and the scent is very uplifting. You could use other essential oils as well, but if you have pets, be cautious. Some of the oils are hard to digest for example for cats and can cause liver damage, as they accumulate. Lemon oil, to my knowledge, is safe to use around the house though.

Can I make a cleaner that will emit dry foam?

By Jonathan