Homemade Dry Carpet Cleaner

I have found that by mixing a ratio of 5 lbs white cornmeal and 2 lbs of cornstarch together will make a very nice carpet cleaner. I sprinkle it on using my small mesh strainer and scrub it in with a long handled brush. Wait at least one hour, 2 is better; and then vacuum it up. I was using an expensive dry cleaner and I found that this was better. No chemicals either. Safe to walk on and for pets.

By Sheila S

By george (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Never put soap in your carpet. It is sticky and will always attract dirt. You cannot get it out no matter what you do unless you drag it on the lawn and rinse.

If you clean a spot with soap you will always have that spot which will bleed up and attrack dirt.

I have a clean mop that I use to mop my carpet with a very mild vinegar water solution. I use a lot of throw rugs which are easier to pick up and wash than to clean the carpet.

Top Comment

1 cup borax 2 cup corn meal 1/2 cup baking soda works most time. For heavy stains may need an acid wash.

I made this to clean an area rug in my den. There were a couple of pet urine stains on it. After sprinkling over entire rug and working in, I let it sit for 2 hours.

I ended up using a shop vac to vacuum it up as filters in my regular vacuum couldn't handle the powder. It did a fantastic job of cleaning the rug. No more stains! I would definately recommend this one!

By Rhonda (Guest Post)

What does the Cornmeal and Cornstarch replace?