Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I'm looking for the best homemade carpet shampoo.

Betty from MD

Answers:

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I have two dogs and two cats. All I use in my carpet cleaner is hot water and baking soda. You'll be AMAZED at how long it stays clean! (09/18/2007)

By Kit

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I like what you said about the white vinegar and 75% water I would also like to add that while scrubbing an area to place a dry towel under the carpet while cleaning an area and then use the towel to blot dry the carpet. As some carpets are antiques and conventional carpet cleaners can't be used on them I suggest the old fashioned method. (09/27/2007)

By

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I also have the Bissell Pro Heat and recommend filling the "cleaning solution" tank with straight vinegar, and the water reservoir of course with water. I added 10-15 drops of lavender essential oil for a little fragrance, but is not necessary. Vinegar doesn't leave the soapy residue and cleans fabulously. People should really think about the chemicals they are using in their HOMES. Using all natural products for all of your cleaning works better, is cheaper, and is better for your family and the environment. (11/08/2007)

By guest

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I tried and did NOT like or find useful this recipe on naturodoc.com:

Rug shampoo mix: Mix 1/4 cup mild detergent or soap, with 1 pint of warm water and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Whip into a stiff foam. First, vacuum the rug thoroughly. Apply the foam and scrub. Let dry, then vacuum again.

The "mild detergent or soap" was undefined, so I used hair shampoo. I even whipped with and egg mixture, but it did not dry into something I could suck up with the vacuum. I felt it just added to the gunk in the carpet with helping it at all. (02/08/2008)

By Christina C