Homemade Carpet Shampoo

What can you use as an effective homemade rug shampoo?

By Wendy from Schenectady, NY

Answers:

Test an area in the corner first. Pre-treat any "bad" areas with Dawn dish liquid. Mix a solution of 2 gallons warm water; 1 tsp Dawn and 2 TBS baking soda. Run through carpet scrubber; rinse with clean water (through carpet scrubber), let dry. (07/29/2010)

By bkvander

Once, when a friend had to get her carpets clean but was on a very limited budget and it was all she could do to rent the cleaner, I made a solution of laundry powder in hot water, and strained it so the little undissolved pieces weren't a problem. We used one or two cups of that in the container full of hot water from the cleaner. It worked great.

The more concentrated solution was for the few spots we had to get out. I wouldn't use it very concentrated; like a cup to a gallon size pot of hot water, strain it, and then it gets diluted again when it's poured into the container in the machine. Just the normal hot water from the faucet, and don't shake or swirl it. I don't recall the brand of soap/detergent. Maybe like Arm and Hammer.

I wouldn't recommend this all the time, but hey. (07/29/2010)

By PIKKA

Try dissolving 1/4 c oxi-clean and warm water to fill tank, pour into tank when dissolved and shampoo as normal. (08/13/2010)

By mecowan

Top Comment

Be careful with oxy-clean in some machines, as they can weaken machine tubing/parts and void any warranty.

I had blood stains on carpet and used the oxy-spray for laundry directly on the spot, and shampooed as usual; it came right out.

When I don't have money for cleaner I use plain ol' vinegar and water; it works great in my Hoover. I'm going to try the bit of dawn after reading other suggestions. Happy cleaning !

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Pouring Shampoo
Uses for Shampoo
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
A dog after a bath.
Homemade Dog Shampoo Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 4:44:08 AM on 10.0.2.71 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.