Homemade Cough Remedies

Looking for an old recipe for a cough remedy that has whiskey and rock candy but not sure what else if anything?

Zan from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Homemade Cough Remedies

I remember my mom making that as child, but only remember the whiskey and seemed like she used horehound candy. Not sure what else went in it. (05/06/2008)

By theseamstress

Homemade Cough Remedies

For a quick homemade remedy for cough, heat 1 can of Coke or generic cola and a handful of raisins. Sip a couple tablespoons while warm. Cheap and works well. (05/06/2008)

By Rader1

Homemade Cough Remedies

We used to make up a "Hot Toddy" that was good for what "ales" ya. It's especially good for head colds & flu:

---> Squeeze one half of a fresh lemon into a large mug (that can take boiling water) then add one shot of Whiskey, Southern Comfort, or Rum. Next, fill remainder of mug with boiling water, then add a large "glop" of honey (about a Tablespoon or 2) and lastly, the magic ingredient: Sprinkle a bit of cayenne pepper on top & stir well.

Some folks add a stick of rock candy into this instead of, or with the honey, because you can suck on the rock candy like you would a cough drop.

This concoction may not heal you, but it'll sure make you feel better & help you sleep! It may or may not be the healthiest cough & cold recipe out there, but back in our great-grandparents day, this is all they had. There may be alcohol in it, but at least you can say there are no chemicals & it's "totally natural"!

* The Cayenne pepper makes your nose run, which really cleans out your sinuses so you'll be able to breathe freely for quite awhile & the Honey helps your throat feel better, the alcohol relaxes you & the Lemon cuts down on phlegm & gives you that extra Vitamin C we all need when we're sick... I also forgot to mention that I like to add hot tap water, beforehand to preheat the mug.

** Obviously, you'd not want to put any alcohol in this recipe when giving this recipe to children or those in recovery, or taking other meds. (05/06/2008)

By Cyinda

Homemade Cough Remedies

Ginger tea sweetened with honey works for coughs. (05/06/2008)

By MartyD

Homemade Cough Remedies

We had the really bad flu in January. Was desperate for something to stop the wrenching coughing. Allergic to honey and all my old remedies did not work. Got out an herb book. It recommended using thyme and oregano. In a cup of water I steeped 1 tbsp oregano and 1 tbsp thyme. Then added a tbsp vinegar and 1 heaping tbsp of brown sugar. It actually worked. Doesn't taste that great, but I did not care. (05/07/2008)

By Rainbowridergrma

Homemade Cough Remedies

I have had a horrible cough for the last two days and have not been able to sleep. I had taken NyQuil, prescription cough syrup and cough drops. Then my husband talked to his 93 year old Grandmother and she said all I would need to do is put a cold wash cloth over my throat and then put a dry hand towel over it. So I tried this and it worked! I slept for 8 hours! She says that it creates steam in your body to help loosen the airways. (05/10/2008)

By Patricia

Homemade Cough Remedies

I always go for nebulizer (Steam Mask) at Dr clinic. It works wonders and child goes to sleep. (05/22/2008)

By Azra

Homemade Cough Remedies

Just use hard candied or rock candy. Put it in a "canning jar." Pour over the candy with some cheap whiskey, and shake. This may take about 4 days or more to dissolve, but that is all you do. It will taste like the old Vicks formula 44 that used to burn when it hit the chest. Works great! (06/03/2008)

By Carolyn

Young woman coughing into her hand.
Homemade Cough Remedies
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Woman With A Cold
Homemade Cold Remedies
Closeup of termites in wood.
Homemade Remedies for Termites
Homemade Vaporub, ointment in jar
Homemade Vaporub Recipes
🎉
🎄