Homemade Cough Remedies

My son is 2 years old. I am looking for a homemade cough remedy. He coughs when he cries and he gets a cough during the day that can last about an hour. I took him to the doctor and he said it was allergies. He gave him medicine but it didn't work. Please help.

By Sheetal from Hyderabad, AP

Answers:

Homemade Cough Remedies

One thing that is typically used is honey, but please be careful with this since his cough is caused by allergies. Bees make honey from the plants that may be causing his allergies, and giving him too much may cause a serious reaction. If you choose to use it, build up the amount very gradually over a period of time. Use raw honey native to where you live. If he can tolerate it, it will help him build a tolerance to what he is allergic to, similar to getting allergy shots. It is a folk cure for hay fever and known to work, but must be begun cautiously. Again, if too much is taken in the beginning, he may have a major reaction. (04/05/2009)

By susanmajp

Homemade Cough Remedies

I should have posted this the first time, but have you cut out all dairy products? Dairy products cause mucus to build up in the body, causing coughs. Some people have a harder time dealing with it than others. Try to quit eating and drinking all dairy products for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

When my son was younger, we had to cut way back on dairy all the time and totally cut it out anytime he got sick. We also gave him cod liver oil to help build his immunities. He went from being sick all the time to playing outside constantly. Today he's 27 years old and still takes the cod liver oil. New studies show how effective fish oils can be. (04/05/2009)

By susanmajp

Homemade Cough Remedies

This helps our great granddaughter, she is 5. But it also helps DH, my daughter, and I. Rub Vick's (it now comes in a grease-less tube and the new baby Vick's has a pink lid. I like it myself.) on the bottoms of his feet, put clean socks on over that. It will help to lay down with him to get him to stop crying. That may help him to sleep also.

Our neighbor is a pediatric nurse practitioner, she told me to take a cup of milk and warm (as hot as he can stand it) it with a spoonful of honey in it. Let the boy sip it to help his cough. I hope this helps. (04/05/2009)

By Great Granny Vi

Homemade Cough Remedies

If you've only tried one allergy medicine, then I would tell the doctor and ask him to prescribe/suggest something else. The Dr. should know it didn't work anyway, so that it can be noted on your son's chart.

You can also find homeopathic remedies at a natural foods/health-food store or on-line. One good place to start is: http://www.hylands.com/ (04/05/2009)

By Maryeileen

Homemade Cough Remedies

An old-fashioned cough medicine would be honey and lemon. The honey coats the throat. I'm not sure what the lemon does but people used to always pair them up so there must be some benefit aside from the vitamin C. Another way to go might be to use a saline (salt) solution nasal spray. There are no side effects and the saline solution may prevent some of the irritants from adhering to the nasal membranes. (04/18/2009)

By Goldie2

Homemade Cough Remedies

The honey and lemon treatment is great and most kids will drink it. I want to just suggest that if this persists, have your child tested for asthma. When my oldest daughter was 2, she would have bad bouts of coughing. I thought she had a cold, but it would not go away! Her doctor diagnosed her with having bronchial asthma. This can cause chronic coughing fits. Crying makes it worse because they are already having problems getting enough air. Check it out just to be safe. (04/25/2009)

By bizzymom

Homemade Cough Remedies

Buckwheat honey is the way to go. My 3 1/2-year-old son has been suffering w/ a cough for 6 months. I was told it was possible asthma, allergies, some combination thereof. He was on Singulair, Claritin, Pulmicort nebulizers, and I found myself still very dissatisfied. Like most parents, I don't want my kid on daily medication if I can help it. 2 weeks ago, I found myself reading these posts and willing to try just about anything.

I tried the Vick's on the feet (no success), then went on to honey. I worked him up to 1 tbsp of honey twice a day (locally-made stuff) and it worked. I haven't yet weaned him from the Claritin, but his cough has lessened dramatically even from what it was with the Claritin alone (which was the one drug I couldn't get away from. Off the Claritin, coughing all night!).

We talked to our pediatrician this a.m. and he said honey is great because not only does it reduce inflammation, but it also increases the ciliary action in the lungs. However, he said I should switch to the Buckwheat variety instead of locally made. I highly recommend this to anyone whose kid is suffering through a really bad cold or even if they're like mine and have this unexplained chronic cough. (09/01/2009)

By alibreen

Young woman coughing into her hand.
Homemade Cough Remedies
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Woman With A Cold
Homemade Cold Remedies
Closeup of termites in wood.
Homemade Remedies for Termites
Homemade Vaporub, ointment in jar
Homemade Vaporub Recipes
🎄