Homemade Furniture Polish

I need a homemade recipe for furniture "cleaner/polish" that will not hurt some of my older wooden pieces.

By Laura from Syracuse, NY

Answers:

Homemade Furniture Polish

To clean and restore the luster of oil, varnished or laquer finishes:

• 1 quart Warm Water
  • 3 Tbsp. Boiled Linseed Oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Turpentine
Keep mixture warm in double boiler, rub the finish with a soft cloth dampened with it. Then wipe the surface dry and polish with a dry cloth.

(From: NY State College of Home Ecoc. at Cornell University) Badly worn furniture may require refinishing. (11/17/2009)

By Cajun62234

Homemade Furniture Polish

I wouldn't use turpentine in my home and expose my family to such harsh chemicals. Here is the recipe i use that is safe and you probably have in your pantry already:

The first ingredient is water, of course. Get yourself a spray bottle and put 3 cups of water in there. Once the water is in your sprayer, you will be adding two additional items:

• 4 Tbsp. of olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. of distilled white vinegar

Add them to the spray bottle and shake the bottle up a little to make everything mix together. That's it, that is all the wood polish you will ever need. Be sure to test the spray somewhere on the furniture just to make sure you have the mixture right and you will not damage the wood. (12/01/2009)

By ecogirl91304

A hand holding a bright yellow cloth to polish a wood surface.
Homemade Furniture Polish Recipes
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎄