Homemade Furniture Polish

This is an excellent furniture polish and most everyone has these two products in their home. Use equal parts of olive oil and vinegar (like 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup vinegar). It cleans and shines at the same time!

By laniegirl from IA

Answers:

Homemade Furniture Polish

I think olive oil can go rancid. I have not heard of other timber oils such as tung oil or linseed oil going rancid. They are natural oils so why not use those oils, a 50/50 mix of turpentine and raw linseed oil is a good outdoor oil for decks that need oiling or outdoor furniture. It is also good for protecting outside working tools such as rakes or shovels with wooden handles.

For inside timber I would use boiled linseed oil as this dries quicker with less smell. I wouldn't use vinegar with the linseed unless the timber needed cleaning, ie. dirt or grime. If the timber is clean I would use just linseed oil. Check whether the original surface was oiled, varnished, or shellaced. Linseed oil will only work on an oiled surface. Definitely get a second opinion on antique finishes as you don't want to damage them or try the oil on an inconspicuous area so that no damage is done. (07/30/2010)

By rustyreks

Homemade Furniture Polish

I tried this and I also tried using lemon juice and regular oil, both left my furniture really shiny and I thought it was great. Unfortunately, a few days later, when I tried to dust, I noticed it was really tacky and sticky. I wouldn't recommend it, but it might work better for you. I live on the humid coast. (07/30/2010)

By eveh

Homemade Furniture Polish

Sorry to put a dampener on this hint, but I had the same problem as eveh a few years ago. It took hours of scrubbing with hand washing dish detergent, like Dawn, to remove the goo. Perhaps I had the same problem, as in the summer, the weather here is very humid. (07/31/2010)

By Cett

A hand holding a bright yellow cloth to polish a wood surface.
Homemade Furniture Polish Recipes
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
🎉
🎄