Homemade Hair Detangler

A woman with tangled hair.

Save money on hair care products for yourself and family by making your own hair detangler. This is a guide about homemade hair detangler.

Solutions: Homemade Hair Detangler

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Make Your Own Hair Detangler

For hair detangler, fill a spray bottle with one third hair conditioner and two thirds water. Spray on hair and comb out. This not only detangles your hair, but also stretches your hair conditioner.

Source: The Dollar Stretcher

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Hair Detangler

This is an all natural de-tangling aid for use in the shower. It is chemical free and nearly free to make. Yay!

Approximate Time: A few minutes

Yield: Just over 1 cupspray bottle of detangled

• 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 10-12 drops bergamot essential oil
  • 10-12 drops tea tree essential oil
  • empty spray bottle
  • funnel
Hair Detangler

1. Pour 1 cup water into your empty bottle.
  2. Hair Detangler
  3. Add apple cider vinegar.
  4. Hair Detangler
  5. Add the tea tree oil.
  6. Hair Detangler
  7. Add your bergamot oil.
  8. Hair Detangler
  9. Replace cap and shake well.
  10. After you have washed and conditioned your hair, spray this all over. Work through with your fingers. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse well. That's it! :)
  11. Hair Detangler

Source: Pinterest inspired

By melissa [201]

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Homemade Detangling Spray

My two little girls both have tender scalps, and one has long hair that tangles easily. The other one has curly red hair with a mind of it's own! I have had to buy commercial detangling spray to keep them from hollering while having their hair brushed in the mornings.

I have become concerned about chemicals, etc. in products, and because I have been making my own baby wipes lately (which are fantastic and cheap--I highly recommend this!) I happened to have the stuff on hand to try my own detangling spray.

I (mostly) filled an empty spray bottle with 1/2 water (distilled) and 1/2 aloe vera juice. I added 2 Tbsp. glycerin, 1Tbsp. Vitamin E oil, 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil and a few drops of jasmine oil.

It will separate, so you need to shake it before use--but it really works great! I used it on both girls and my own long hair this morning, and I think it works better than the stuff I was buying. And I'm not spraying chemicals on my kids--big bonus!

By Gina J. from Colorado

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Make Your Own "No More Tangles" Leave in Conditioning Spray

Make your own "No More Tangles" leave in conditioning spray: use a small spray bottle (old hair spray bottle is fine), and for normal hair use 1 part regular hair conditioner to 3 parts water, shake well and it is ready to use. For dry hair use 1 part regular hair conditioner to 2 parts water, shake well and it is ready to use.

Note: The small amount of conditioner that is left in the bottom of the bottle (turn bottle upside down to get it out) is usually perfect for this.

I use this (dry hair formula) on my hair and my 2 daughters' hair every day.

By C B

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Hair Detangler.

Question: Getting Tangles Out of Child's Hair

My daughter's hair is matted horribly; she cries whenever I try to brush it. The last resort is to cut it. I can't seem to find anything to ease the pain and also work to get thru it. I feel as though I'm a horrible mother because I just can't seem to get these matted tangles out.

By Amber

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Best Answers

By DCA [4] 03/21/2015

You might consider taking your daughter to a hair stylist for help as they have products and techniques that can help your daughter's hair problem. They can also suggest ways you can avoid the problem in the future.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Louise B. [6] 03/22/2015

I think there are hair products such as "No More Tangles" that will help. Do you use a creme rinse in her hair? I like Dinah's suggestion of taking her to a stylist for assistance, as perhaps the texture of her hair makes it more prone to tangles. And, if she was my daughter, I'd get that hair cut in a very short style that doesn't require this type of upkeep.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No