Storing Homemade Beauty Products?

Homemade beauty products are a popular alternative to commercial ones that often contain chemicals that users shy away from. However, they also lack the chemicals used preserve the retail products. Proper storage is necessary to prevent bacterial growth in homemade beauty supplies. This is a page about storing homemade beauty products.

22 Questions

What is the best way to preserve homemade beauty products: masks, creams, scrubs?

Alla

Answers

Best Answer

For all the at home remedies I make I keep them sealed in air-tight jars. Anything which is perishable should by kept in the refrigerator. All other items should be stored in a cool, dark place. For items such as masks, creams, etc. consider making only small amounts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in order to be sure that they don't spoil.

Best Answer

Puncture a vitamin E gel pill with a straight pin and add to your product. Depending on the amount of product you may need two or three. You usually can find vitamin E lots cheaper at places like the Dollar Zone or Everythings a Dollar. You can also check with Family Dollar and Dollar General depending where you live.

By Shirley (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Grapefruit seed extract is a great preservative. Just a few drops.

Answer this Question

I'm thinking to make my own hair mask. The main ingredient is avocado. What ingredient can I use to help the mask last for at least 1 month inside of a glass container?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a possibility that you can use grapefruit seed extract to extend the shelf life of your hair mask. Other people have recommended the use of lecithin powder or even rosemary antioxidant extract. Here is a good article that you can read and decide on which one you'd like to try. hairrecipes.homestead.com/preservatives.html

Best Answer

Nothing that I know of if you want to keep it all natural and not damage your hair potentially. Citric acid will keep avacado fresh for a few days but can also act as a bleach to your hair. You could try to freeze it, but that is going to change the consistency when defrosting. It may be better to just make what you need fresh each time.

Best Answer

I do not think you can save it (in the right consistency) for more than a week and that amount of time is questionable.
Freezing avocado usually changes the constancy so you might want to freeze a small amount and see if you can still use it.

I really believe you should just experiment with this and see how long it will keep for you as anything you add to your recipe could change what effect you're trying to achieve.

Answer this Question

I make hair mask with fresh avocado, olive oil, castor oil, rosemary oil, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, and other essential oils. I keep them frozen and the one currently using refrigerated. It defrosts well but how long will they last without doing so? Leaving out refrigerator.

I ordered avocado, lecithin, and grapeseed powders to help preserve future avocado masks. Will that help and for how long? My apologies for bad refrigerated picture. It actually looks better same as frozen pretty much as it still becomes solid but manageable.

Answer this Question

I am making a hair mask where avocado is the main ingredient. The rest of the ingredients are able to sit out of the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 months. If thereare natural preservatives added as well, like tea tree oil, can I leave the hair mask out?

If so, how long? Are there other natural preservatives that would allow me to keep it out for at least a month?

Answers

Best Answer

You can use a little lemon or lime juice, but that will only add about 3 days to the total shelf life and no matter what, it would need to be refrigerated. Masks like this with all natural ingredients are best made fresh and in small batches to be used immediately when you need them. That is what makes them special.

Preservatives turn it into what essentially is store bought "crap".

I would not mess with any preservatives (including lemon or lime) if you have even the least bit of sensitive skin as they can cause more harm than good and can burn your eyes and skin around your lips if you leave it on too long.

Best Answer

I believe you should refrigerate avocado very soon after you peel it whether you plan to eat it use it in some type of mask.
listonic.com/.../

Stating that, no matter what other ingredients you put with the avocado it will still have to be refrigerated.
Even placing it in the refrigerator it is recommended that it be used within 4 days.
Fresh should be just that; fresh ingredients made to use within a short period of time and if making more than one 'serving' then it should be stored in refrigerator for a day or so only for best results. Since this is not usually used more than one (two at the most) times a week it seems best to only make one batch at a time.

As to freezing avocados this can be done but not in mix solution.
I peel my avocados and slice into about 6 slices and freeze. They are good for 2 or 3 months. I then use them as if they were fresh.
This link shows about the way I freeze mine:
www.stockpilingmoms.com/.../

You can find a lot on this subject online but all state - place leftovers in refrigerator.
listonic.com/.../
crunchybetty.com/.../

Thrifty Fun also has more information on this subject:
www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Homemade-Beauty-Products...

Answer this Question

I am making a carrot face mask with vitamin E and other oils to use every morning. How long will it last in the refrigerator?

Answers

Best Answer

Most homemade products such as this will not last long after it has been made. I know you are storing yours in your refrigerator and this is normally good for 7 days only. I would not use it after this time. You will probably need to make smaller batches and make them more often in order to get the results you are looking for. Products like this that are stored too long can spoil and you don't want to use them on your face.

Best Answer

Vitamin E is pretty stable, but the rest of the ingredients can be a little tricky.

Carrots pureed only last 2-3 days in the fridge before the separate and turn colors, an then go bad.

The oils are very susceptible to picking up odors from other items in the refrigerator, so if you do refrigerator, keep it away from onions, cabbage, peppers, smelly cheeses or the like. Be sure to use a container with a good seal (glass is better so no plastic leaching).

You may want to test freezing the mix in small batches and see if you still like the consistency when you defrost it.

Answer this Question

The ingredients in the face masks I make are gram flour, turmeric powder, honey, and milk. For how long can this be stored in a refrigerator?

And also how often can I use it? Is using it every other day not good?

Answers

Best Answer

As long as milk is one of the ingredients in the homemade facial mask mixture, it won't be good to store it more than a week. The milk will spoil and make the mask stink when trying to use it again. I'd suggest that the next time you make this recipe that you cut it in half. That way there won't be a need to store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator.

Answer this Question

I'm planning on making yogurt facial masks to sell, but I'm not really sure how to store it and or if it'll go bad after so long. All of the other ingredients that I'm using can be kept at room temperature, but the plain yogurt is throwing me off on how to go about it.

Answers

Best Answer

The yogurt mask will need to be refrigerated. Usually a week shelf life but if it smells bad, I'd toss it.

You can sell the facial mask mixture in a glass container.

Answer this Question

I would like to make a face cleanser/mask daily use product which contains 2 tsp honey, 1/3c. yogurt, and 2 tsp almond oil.

I would like to use this as daily face wash and therefore would like to prepare it in advance rather than doing it in the morning.

If I store this mixture in an air tight container in the fridge, how long will this mixture last and be safe to use on my face?

Answers

Best Answer

This would be a daily product you use. I would try to make a batch weekly.

It will be a trial and error for you and you can do what works best for your time schedule.

Answer this Question

I want to sell my natural homemade facial mask containing aloe vera, turmeric, milk, lime, and honey, but I don't know how best to store it, and how long they will last for my clients.

Answers

Best Answer

All the ingredients in the product is great and there is no issue with storing it except the milk. Milk spoils way to quicky and in cases like yours, it can only last in a refrigerator for up to a week before it needs to be thrown out. Is there not another product you can use in place of the milk? I know a lot of people have so many different recipes online it would be a shame if a person buys this and by the time they get it home it is almost expired and they need to throw it away.

Answer this Question

I made a hair mask with banana, olive oil, and honey. Can I put it in the freezer or refrigerator?

Answers

Best Answer

Some places suggest that you store this in the refrigerator in a tight sealed container. They say it can stay there up to 6 months but I feel this is way too long because you are using fresh bananas and they do tend to smell bad after a few weeks. I have also read that storing this in the freezer can make it last a bit longer. The only problem is defrosting this and freezing it again when you want to use it. If you want to store this in the freezer store it in single size serving containers that way you won't need to defrost the entire container each time you want to use it.

Answer this Question

How do I stop a hair mask from bloating? I mixed avocado and the preservative, but on waking up this morning, the mask had bloated.

Answers

Best Answer

Most sites recommend leaving mask on your hair for 10 to 25 minutes and some say to never leave it on more than 30 minutes. I'm sure some have different instructions but probably whatever you mixed with the avocado made the mask 'bloat'. Some say it will get dry or go rancid.
Most stress to put mask on dry hair so the hair will absorb the ingredients.

There are lots of good sites for recipes - even YouTube videos - but this one has a lot of different recipes to try.

www.healthline.com/.../avocado-hair-mask#precautions

Answer this Question

Can you freeze a DIY hair mask?

Answers

There are certain hair masks that you can freeze. If you've made one with coconut oil and honey you can freeze this in ice cube trays.

Can you store body scrubs in the fridge? I made a few to sell and they kind of froze. Are they still good?

I didn't put them in the freezer, but towards the back so that they wouldn't be on the way.

I have made a face mask with oats and honey. How long can I store it without it being refrigerated? I have made it for selling.

Can I freeze leftover organic homemade beauty products? Especially if I'm using food such as oatmeal.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes AdviceJune 20, 2013
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Homemade-Beauty-Products.html