Storing Homemade Beauty Products

Homemade beauty products are a popular alternative to commercial ones that often contain chemicals that users shy away from. However, they also lack the chemicals used preserve the retail products. Proper storage is necessary to prevent bacterial growth in homemade beauty supplies. This is a guide about storing homemade beauty products.

What is the best way to preserve homemade beauty products: masks, creams, scrubs?

Alla

Answers

Best Answer

For all the at home remedies I make I keep them sealed in air-tight jars. Anything which is perishable should by kept in the refrigerator. All other items should be stored in a cool, dark place. For items such as masks, creams, etc. consider making only small amounts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in order to be sure that they don't spoil.

Best Answer

Puncture a vitamin E gel pill with a straight pin and add to your product. Depending on the amount of product you may need two or three. You usually can find vitamin E lots cheaper at places like the Dollar Zone or Everythings a Dollar. You can also check with Family Dollar and Dollar General depending where you live.

By Shirley (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Grapefruit seed extract is a great preservative. Just a few drops.

The ingredients in the face masks I make are gram flour, turmeric powder, honey, and milk. For how long can this be stored in a refrigerator? And also how often can I use it? Is using it every other day not good?

Answers

Best Answer

As long as milk is one of the ingredients in the homemade facial mask mixture, it won't be good to store it more than a week. The milk will spoil and make the mask stink when trying to use it again. I'd suggest that the next time you make this recipe that you cut it in half. That way there won't be a need to store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator.

How can I preserve a homemade facial scrub with a main ingredient of Moringa oliefera, also known as malunggay, in combination with honey and lime? And how long would it take?

By Nadine R.

Answers

I'm not familiar with those ingredients. But, I make scrubs and just make a months worth at a time and keep it in the fridge. It lasts longer that way.

I would store it in the refrigerator and make in small quantities.

I have made some exfoliating sugar scrub with foaming bath butter. Would anyone know how long this will last? I go away on holiday in two weeks and made two tubs of medium size. I have put them in the fridge for now; would they last for a month? Many thanks.

By Irish

Answers

Butter and sugar both, can be frozen. Freeze it. When you come back, let one thaw, use it up before thawing the other. Always keep refrigerated when not frozen.