Storing Homemade Beauty Products

Homemade beauty products are a popular alternative to commercial ones that often contain chemicals that users shy away from. However, they also lack the chemicals used preserve the retail products. Proper storage is necessary to prevent bacterial growth in homemade beauty supplies. This is a guide about storing homemade beauty products.

What is the best way to preserve homemade beauty products: masks, creams, scrubs?

Alla

Answers

Best Answer

For all the at home remedies I make I keep them sealed in air-tight jars. Anything which is perishable should by kept in the refrigerator. All other items should be stored in a cool, dark place. For items such as masks, creams, etc. consider making only small amounts on a weekly or bi-weekly basis in order to be sure that they don't spoil.

Best Answer

Puncture a vitamin E gel pill with a straight pin and add to your product. Depending on the amount of product you may need two or three. You usually can find vitamin E lots cheaper at places like the Dollar Zone or Everythings a Dollar. You can also check with Family Dollar and Dollar General depending where you live.

By Shirley (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Grapefruit seed extract is a great preservative. Just a few drops.

I'm planning on making yogurt facial masks to sell, but I'm not really sure how to store it and or if it'll go bad after so long. All of the other ingredients that I'm using can be kept at room temperature, but the plain yogurt is throwing me off on how to go about it.

Answers

Best Answer

The yogurt mask will need to be refrigerated. Usually a week shelf life but if it smells bad, I'd toss it.

You can sell the facial mask mixture in a glass container.

The ingredients in the face masks I make are gram flour, turmeric powder, honey, and milk. For how long can this be stored in a refrigerator? And also how often can I use it? Is using it every other day not good?

Answers

Best Answer

As long as milk is one of the ingredients in the homemade facial mask mixture, it won't be good to store it more than a week. The milk will spoil and make the mask stink when trying to use it again. I'd suggest that the next time you make this recipe that you cut it in half. That way there won't be a need to store it in an airtight container in your refrigerator.

I would like to make a face cleanser/mask daily use product which contains 2 tsp honey, 1/3c. yogurt, and 2 tsp almond oil.

I would like to use this as daily face wash and therefore would like to prepare it in advance rather than doing it in the morning.

If I store this mixture in an air tight container in the fridge, how long will this mixture last and be safe to use on my face?

Answers

Best Answer

This would be a daily product you use. I would try to make a batch weekly.

It will be a trial and error for you and you can do what works best for your time schedule.

I'm looking to start selling facial masks and the ingredients include an egg white, honey, oatmeal, and yogurt. I wanted to know how long do you think it'll last? I'm guessing the product would have to be stored in the fridge; right?

Answers

Yogurt lasts about two weeks in the refrigerator. If your product contains yogurt, that is how long I would keep it and I would refrigerate it.

Yes, if you are selling facial yogurt mask that contains eggs and yogurt - it would need to be refrigerated.

• Will you be selling locally? You may have to consider that because the product would have to be refrigerated. Also since this is a product you are considering to sell, I would be more familiar and do a trial and error. Test out the product at 1 day, 2 days, 3 days and so forth to see:
  • - how the product is on each of the days. is it still effective from day 1 to day 7?
  • - do you see any difference if its beyond 7 days (but I would say 1.5 weeks max for shelf life)
  • - you'd definitely have to master your homemade facial mask before selling.

Wishing you all the best in your venture!!

I recommend you check with your local health department (or department of health) to make sure you are authorized (correct permits etc.) to sell the masks and that you are following their approved protocols related to consumer safety for storing and dispensing.

While the DOH can't tell you exactly how long your mask will keep, they will tell you proper storage techniques and they may mandate removal of the product after a certain number of days whether the mask is still good or not for health and safety purposes.

Even though people aren't consuming the products, there is a chance that they could cause harm if not treated properly and the DOH (at least in my state) has strict rules around things like that!

Since you already know the ingredients necessary for your mask, I would assume you have someplace picked out to sell your product but since refrigeration is required your locations may be very limited.

• I agree that you should check with your local health department before actually selling your masks.
  • They can be very strict about cleanliness and may even want to inspect where your product is made.
  • Ad

• Good luck with your venture - hope it is a big success.

I wanted to mention that ThriftyFun has some information on this subject that may give you some ideas.

www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Homemade-Beauty-Products...

if I were you I would look to replace the egg though I get eggs are great - they've saved my hair many a time. It's just so exceedingly perishable and you risk a lawsuit for salmonella or risk being fined by the state for functioning without a proper license. Some jurisdictions might even require you to have a specialty regulation kitchen to even be able to do it, and even then they would have issue with the egg. And just think of how easy it is for eggs to turn and give everything a horrific rotten egg smell! Even without the egg everything you list is extremely perishable so it would have to be refrigerated and not last longer than a week.

So I'm going to say it: I don't think it's a good business idea. Not even touching on the issue of where exactly you would sell them there's:

First of course there's the risk of health/legal consequences.

Then there is, as someone else noted, the fact that since these are so perishable, they may act very differently on the first or seventh day and that would force the customer to spend money on something that will not work great as soon as 3 days after buying it.

It would be one thing if they could buy it for cheap but since i assume you want to compensate for your labour you can't really charge less than $8 for a small 4 oz container. So they are spending $8 on something the customer cannot count on working adequately or not spoiling after 5 days.

In best scenario you sell hyper small containers at $4 (like those little jam jars you get at hotels) and they are required to buy one from you every 4 days. Great business model, especially if they really become addicted to it!

That is until they realize that there is absolutely nothing that you put in that jar that they do not have in their own kitchen.

a less volatile idea to me would be to

- sell the ebook with the recipe, charge $3, put it on amazon kdp.amazon.com/en_US?ref_=kdpgp_p_us_psg_gt_hv_ad1...
or other ebook place
- instead of selling the product sell a spa day where ppl pay you $20 or whatnot and drink Kool Aid and have you give them facials that will change their lives, etc
- sell a real small jar of it (like the jam jar) and attach the recipe to it in paper, so that they are not really buying the product, they are buying the process of making their own, with a sample attached to prove how good it works. This might circumvent larger scrutiny and take care of the spoilage problem
- if you wanted to go thru with it anyway look to replace the egg with something like coconut oil or shea butter or beeswax (though I know these are more expensive/have different consistency). The final product will still need refrigeration and it will still be incredibly unstable but at least yogurt already is 'rotten' so it doesnt pose the difficulty the egg poses. Also I would try to find something special to add that not everyone can replicate because they don't have the ingredients at hand and that ideally are somehow difficult to buy, like some special herb you special order from Mexico (herbsofmexico.com/.../tepezcohuite-powder) or special essential oil, or vitamin e capsules, or a special binding agent

How can I preserve a homemade facial scrub with a main ingredient of Moringa oliefera, also known as malunggay, in combination with honey and lime? And how long would it take?

By Nadine R.

Answers

I'm not familiar with those ingredients. But, I make scrubs and just make a months worth at a time and keep it in the fridge. It lasts longer that way.

I would store it in the refrigerator and make in small quantities.

I have made some exfoliating sugar scrub with foaming bath butter. Would anyone know how long this will last? I go away on holiday in two weeks and made two tubs of medium size. I have put them in the fridge for now; would they last for a month? Many thanks.

By Irish

Answers

Butter and sugar both, can be frozen. Freeze it. When you come back, let one thaw, use it up before thawing the other. Always keep refrigerated when not frozen.