Homemade Hair Gel Recipes

Save money by making your own hair gel. This page contains homemade hair gel recipes.

January 23, 2017 Flag

I had trouble with the title of this post. It could have been 'Make your own setting lotion, volumizer, bodifier, or mousse'. I realize a lot of people don't set their hair as they did, 'back when'. Still, what I'm going to tell you about is a great bodifier without setting.

First, a brief preface:

I bought a bag of water absorbing crystals for my gardens and containers. As it turned out, the product was too fine for its intended purpose. It dissolved completely. A good crystal will stay about the size of a pea. I then bought another brand of a larger size crystal. It works fine and I use it in my soil. That left me with the first bag and no use for it. As it turns out, I did find a use for it. It makes a near perfect hair styling product.

When these finer crystals are mixed with water, they dissolve completely as they take up the water. A teaspoon of these crystals, when added to a cup of water, will overnight, turn into a very thick solution.

Here are some of the advantages of this solution:

It contains no alcohol or any other ingredient that is drying to the hair. It is completely colorless. Completely non staining. It is completely odorless. It does not flake. It cannot be seen on the hair. It washes out completely. It is completely safe to use. It is approved for use in vegetable gardens. It holds just enough moisture in the hair to prevent 'fly away hair'. And considering a bag would last most people for several years, it is very inexpensive.

My hair has thinned very much over the years. I use this crystal solution and I can say without exaggeration, it looks as if I have twice as much hair. It does not make the hair stiff, but it does add much volume.

I said near perfect. Some people may not like that the solution is very slick. It reminds me of the finger wave lotions used back in the last century. But unlike finger wave lotion, it will not flake. Back when I was in the profession, several of my sweet, little grey haired clients would say, 'Do cover up my bald spot in the back as best you can'. What I would have given to have had these crystals, back then.

The name of the crystals is Agritack Pam and is available at Amazon. If you are uncomfortable with the cost, not knowing whether you will like the product; you could split the cost with a friend. Splitting the bag, you would still have several years supply. A tablespoon of crystals will yield at least a pint of solution. I think it is sold in 5 pound bags. 5 pounds will treat one acre. So you can see how concentrated it is.

I'm going to talk with sales and see if they would ship samples for the cost of postage.

What would we do without polymers?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great! Thanks, Betty.

January 30, 2017 Flag

Hair sticking up because of egg whites.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are looking for a chemical free hair gel, try egg whites. This is a guide about use egg white for hair gel.

March 23, 2011 Flag

To make a homemade hair gel, dissolve 1 tsp. plain gelatin in warm water. Mix it very well, then keep it in the refrigerator in a small closed container. To use, smear it in your hair. It is pure protein and washes out easily.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hmm... I hadn't noticed Fossil hadn't said how much water. I can only guess, a cup? In any case, since the gelatin is "pure protein," it would be way better for your hair than anything on the market except maybe Mane and Tail.

December 29, 2011 Flag

If you are in a bind for hair gel and don't have much cash on you, take a small handful of flax seeds, boil them in water and see a natural gel appear very soon!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 30, 2012 Flag

Do you know of a recipe to make your own homemade wet look gel? The wetter looking the better.

By Tony

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See all the archives (Related) below your post for ideas. Flaxseed "juice", gelatin, etc.

March 27, 2015 Flag

What can I use to make hair gel from everyday items?

By Dalton

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 23, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to make spray gel? I tried mixing some with water in a spray bottle but it didn't come out right. Or even a recipe for hair gel or root booster. This stuff gets very expensive to buy at the salon.

Thanks

Kathie, Portland, ME

Answers:

Homemade Recipe For Hair Gel Or Root Booster?

Aloe Vera Jelly is a great hair gel. Its not really homemade, but is inexpensive. Very good for the skin and hair. A good moisturizer, all natural. I buy from http://www.aloetherapy.com. and their Aloe plants are grown in Greenhouses. All Natural, no insecticides.
(01/10/2005)

By Joy

Back in my high school and college years, when I wore a mohawk or a wild spiky do- I used Elmer's glue or liquid spray starch in order to get a great hold at a tiny fraction of the cost since I needed to use it so frequently. (02/24/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Mix petroleum jelly with aloe vera, dove conditioner, and with any type of moisturizing lotion.
(mix well). (02/25/2006)

By Kenyon

When I had a mohawk, I would use a mixture of Elmers' glue and either normal hair gel or liquid hand soap (the mixture makes it a lot easier to wash out) (12/05/2006)

By Joe

homemade hair jell for mohawks over 4 inches

I've tried A LOT of gels and i honestly have to say that corn starch that comes in a box that you can get anywhere and elmer's glue mixed together into a thick paste is the best. (07/10/2007)

By wolf l.

Egg whites, egg whites and elmers glue is better, but egg whites works also. After you blow dry or naturally dry your hair run the egg white through the part you wish would spike, then hold it up for a bit, you can also blow dry it to speed up the process. It makes it stand longer if you lay down and hang your head off the couch or bed so that all your blood rushes to your head and your brain is scrambled.
=] (10/30/2007)

By Catherine Johnson.

I'm not really sure how well it works but someone told me that if you boil 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of sugar it makes a really strong hairspray. (04/17/2010)

By imxaxmuffin

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boil on what temperature and how long?

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes HairOctober 18, 2012
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Hair sticking up because of egg whites.
Use Egg White for Hair Gel
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 12:56:42 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.