Homemade Hair Gel Recipes

Save money by making your own hair gel. This page contains homemade hair gel recipes.

Filter Sort

Tip: Homemade Hair Gel

By Ron 181

To make a homemade hair gel, dissolve 1 tsp. plain gelatin in warm water. Mix it very well, then keep it in the refrigerator in a small closed container. To use, smear it in your hair. It is pure protein and washes out easily.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Natural Hair Gel From Flax Seeds

By thintieguy 12 13

If you are in a bind for hair gel and don't have much cash on you, take a small handful of flax seeds, boil them in water and see a natural gel appear very soon! Simply strain out the seeds when the gel appears and you've got a great, natural hair gel that is cheap as all get out. Because it is natural, it doesn't last very long, but probably adding some vitamin E from a liquid tablet will make it last a whole lot longer.

By thintieguy from Los Angeles, CA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Wet Look Hair Gel

By mcscaff 1

Do you know of a recipe to make your own homemade wet look gel? The wetter looking the better.

By Tony

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Vicki 24 428 Flag

See all the archives (Related) below your post for ideas. Flaxseed "juice", gelatin, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Hair Gel

What can I use to make hair gel from everyday items?

By Dalton

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Homemade Recipe For Hair Gel Or Root Booster?

Does anyone know how to make spray gel? I tried mixing some with water in a spray bottle but it didn't come out right. Or even a recipe for hair gel or root booster. This stuff gets very expensive to buy at the salon.

Thanks

Kathie, Portland, ME

Feedback:

RE: Homemade Recipe For Hair Gel Or Root Booster?

Aloe Vera Jelly is a great hair gel. Its not really homemade, but is inexpensive. Very good for the skin and hair. A good moisturizer, all natural. I buy from http://www.aloetherapy.com. and their Aloe plants are grown in Greenhouses. All Natural, no insecticides.
(01/10/2005)

By Joy

Back in my high school and college years, when I wore a mohawk or a wild spiky do- I used Elmer's glue or liquid spray starch in order to get a great hold at a tiny fraction of the cost since I needed to use it so frequently. (02/24/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Mix petroleum jelly with aloe vera, dove conditioner, and with any type of moisturizing lotion.
(mix well). (02/25/2006)

By Kenyon

When I had a mohawk, I would use a mixture of Elmers' glue and either normal hair gel or liquid hand soap (the mixture makes it a lot easier to wash out) (12/05/2006)

By Joe

homemade hair jell for mohawks over 4 inches

I've tried A LOT of gels and i honestly have to say that corn starch that comes in a box that you can get anywhere and elmer's glue mixed together into a thick paste is the best. (07/10/2007)

By wolf l.

Egg whites, egg whites and elmers glue is better, but egg whites works also. After you blow dry or naturally dry your hair run the egg white through the part you wish would spike, then hold it up for a bit, you can also blow dry it to speed up the process. It makes it stand longer if you lay down and hang your head off the couch or bed so that all your blood rushes to your head and your brain is scrambled.
=] (10/30/2007)

By Catherine Johnson.

I'm not really sure how well it works but someone told me that if you boil 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of sugar it makes a really strong hairspray. (04/17/2010)

By imxaxmuffin

Hand Scooping Out Homemade Hair Gel
Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes HairOctober 18, 2012
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 12:19:02 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings