Homemade Hair Gel Recipes

Save money by making your own hair gel. This page contains homemade hair gel recipes.

March 23, 2011 Flag

To make a homemade hair gel, dissolve 1 tsp. plain gelatin in warm water. Mix it very well, then keep it in the refrigerator in a small closed container. To use, smear it in your hair. It is pure protein and washes out easily.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

How much water do you use?

Hmm... I hadn't noticed Fossil hadn't said how much water. I can only guess, a cup? In any case, since the gelatin is "pure protein," it would be way better for your hair than anything on the market except maybe Mane and Tail.

I do this! I use about 1 1/2 teaspoons plain gelatin in 1/2 cup of water; that makes a pretty strong gel. Sprinkle the gelatin on the cold water; let it sit a minute. Then, microwave (less than a minute), until it starts to boil. Watch carefully, since it will bubble up out of the container.

I add about 6-8 drops of tea tree oil (as a preservative), and keep it in the refrigerator in a squeeze bottle with a nozzle top. I microwave it 15-23 seconds, depending on how much is in the bottle, then, squeeze some in my hands and work through my hair. You'll need to experiment with how much is right for your hair. Love this stuff!

December 29, 2011 Flag

If you are in a bind for hair gel and don't have much cash on you, take a small handful of flax seeds, boil them in water and see a natural gel appear very soon!

May 30, 2012 Flag

Do you know of a recipe to make your own homemade wet look gel? The wetter looking the better.

By Tony

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See all the archives (Related) below your post for ideas. Flaxseed "juice", gelatin, etc.

March 23, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to make spray gel? I tried mixing some with water in a spray bottle but it didn't come out right. Or even a recipe for hair gel or root booster. This stuff gets very expensive to buy at the salon.

Thanks

Kathie, Portland, ME

Answers:

Homemade Recipe For Hair Gel Or Root Booster?

Aloe Vera Jelly is a great hair gel. Its not really homemade, but is inexpensive. Very good for the skin and hair. A good moisturizer, all natural. I buy from http://www.aloetherapy.com. and their Aloe plants are grown in Greenhouses. All Natural, no insecticides.
(01/10/2005)

By Joy

Back in my high school and college years, when I wore a mohawk or a wild spiky do- I used Elmer's glue or liquid spray starch in order to get a great hold at a tiny fraction of the cost since I needed to use it so frequently. (02/24/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Mix petroleum jelly with aloe vera, dove conditioner, and with any type of moisturizing lotion.

(mix well). (02/25/2006)

By Kenyon

When I had a mohawk, I would use a mixture of Elmers' glue and either normal hair gel or liquid hand soap (the mixture makes it a lot easier to wash out) (12/05/2006)

By Joe

homemade hair jell for mohawks over 4 inches

I've tried A LOT of gels and i honestly have to say that corn starch that comes in a box that you can get anywhere and elmer's glue mixed together into a thick paste is the best. (07/10/2007)

By wolf l.

Egg whites, egg whites and elmers glue is better, but egg whites works also. After you blow dry or naturally dry your hair run the egg white through the part you wish would spike, then hold it up for a bit, you can also blow dry it to speed up the process. It makes it stand longer if you lay down and hang your head off the couch or bed so that all your blood rushes to your head and your brain is scrambled.

=] (10/30/2007)

By Catherine Johnson.

I'm not really sure how well it works but someone told me that if you boil 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of sugar it makes a really strong hairspray. (04/17/2010)

By imxaxmuffin

Boil on what temperature and how long?

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes HairOctober 18, 2012
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄