Homemade Hair Gel Recipes

Category Hair
Hand Scooping Out Homemade Hair Gel
Save money by making your own hair gel. This page contains homemade hair gel recipes.

I had trouble with the title of this post. It could have been 'Make your own setting lotion, volumizer, bodifier, or mousse'. I realize a lot of people don't set their hair as they did, 'back when'. Still, what I'm going to tell you about is a great bodifier without setting.

First, a brief preface:

I bought a bag of water absorbing crystals for my gardens and containers. As it turned out, the product was too fine for its intended purpose. It dissolved completely. A good crystal will stay about the size of a pea. I then bought another brand of a larger size crystal. It works fine and I use it in my soil. That left me with the first bag and no use for it. As it turns out, I did find a use for it. It makes a near perfect hair styling product.

When these finer crystals are mixed with water, they dissolve completely as they take up the water. A teaspoon of these crystals, when added to a cup of water, will overnight, turn into a very thick solution.

Here are some of the advantages of this solution:

It contains no alcohol or any other ingredient that is drying to the hair. It is completely colorless. Completely non staining. It is completely odorless. It does not flake. It cannot be seen on the hair. It washes out completely. It is completely safe to use. It is approved for use in vegetable gardens. It holds just enough moisture in the hair to prevent 'fly away hair'. And considering a bag would last most people for several years, it is very inexpensive.

My hair has thinned very much over the years. I use this crystal solution and I can say without exaggeration, it looks as if I have twice as much hair. It does not make the hair stiff, but it does add much volume.

I said near perfect. Some people may not like that the solution is very slick. It reminds me of the finger wave lotions used back in the last century. But unlike finger wave lotion, it will not flake. Back when I was in the profession, several of my sweet, little grey haired clients would say, 'Do cover up my bald spot in the back as best you can'. What I would have given to have had these crystals, back then.

The name of the crystals is Agritack Pam and is available at Amazon. If you are uncomfortable with the cost, not knowing whether you will like the product; you could split the cost with a friend. Splitting the bag, you would still have several years supply. A tablespoon of crystals will yield at least a pint of solution. I think it is sold in 5 pound bags. 5 pounds will treat one acre. So you can see how concentrated it is.

I'm going to talk with sales and see if they would ship samples for the cost of postage.

What would we do without polymers?

This sounds like something to keep in my "save" as I am sure that I will come across someone who would love to try this.

Aside from its slick nature, I think its the near perfect styling gel. Will it catch on? I seriously doubt it. Products inferior to this would sell better simply because of marketing techniques and strategy. I'm in no mood to get into marketing, just now.

This is probably one of those things we will see on the market in a few months/years because more and more people are trying to go green/natural.

It is a very good item and I have already shared it with a neighborhood teenager (male). I will check with him later to see how he likes it.

How do you use it on your hair? Do you use it on dry hair, just a little bit worked through with your fingers? You mentioned it was slick, does it dry with a shiny, stiff feel?

After I shampoo my hair, I towel dry it real well, almost dry so it will take in more of the gel. I pour about a teaspoon of gel into my hand, spread it with the other and apply it to my hair with both hands.

I don't use a hair dryer. I just use a large toothed comb and lift my hair all around and let it dry naturally. Once it is dry, it is very stiff, but a comb will go through it very easily. Once it is combed, all the stiffness is gone. You have much more volume, but no stiffness.

No, it does not make the hair shiny, but it does not dull the hair, either.

I have never used any of the wet look products. I'm thinking about getting a small bottle and mixing a tiny amount with this gel to see if it gives it shine

I mentioned that i shared this with a young man in our neighborhood and he just called me and said he really liked it. He has soft thin hair and he said it gave him a nice "full" head of hair.

I couldn't find anything on Amazon by the name of the product you suggested. Is there another name maybe?

It doesn't look like they are sold under that name currently. Here is a similar product that I found on Amazon.

https://www.ama … cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

I'm going to check my previous order. I'll let you know what I find.

The seller of this product is listed on 3 different pages at Amazon. He sells this product in 3 sizes, 15, 3, and 1 lb bags. Only on the page listing the 15 lb bag is the name Agritack PAM shown. https://www.ama … es/dp/B004SCVXCU

Also shown on the same page is a 1 lb bag. This is what most would want. The picture of the 1 lb bag does not show a label, but it is the same product as the large bag and is what I use.

The link I gave switched to a different page, somehow.

Try this

http://tinyurl.com/hcz6aox

Great! Thanks, Betty.

This one wont work, Jess. It is the type that remains about pea size after absorbing water. It wont dissolve into a gel.

To make a homemade hair gel, dissolve 1 tsp. plain gelatin in warm water. Mix it very well, then keep it in the refrigerator in a small closed container. To use, smear it in your hair. It is pure protein and washes out easily.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

How much water do you use?

Hmm... I hadn't noticed Fossil hadn't said how much water. I can only guess, a cup? In any case, since the gelatin is "pure protein," it would be way better for your hair than anything on the market except maybe Mane and Tail.

I do this! I use about 1 1/2 teaspoons plain gelatin in 1/2 cup of water; that makes a pretty strong gel. Sprinkle the gelatin on the cold water; let it sit a minute. Then, microwave (less than a minute), until it starts to boil. Watch carefully, since it will bubble up out of the container.

I add about 6-8 drops of tea tree oil (as a preservative), and keep it in the refrigerator in a squeeze bottle with a nozzle top. I microwave it 15-23 seconds, depending on how much is in the bottle, then, squeeze some in my hands and work through my hair. You'll need to experiment with how much is right for your hair. Love this stuff!

If you are in a bind for hair gel and don't have much cash on you, take a small handful of flax seeds, boil them in water and see a natural gel appear very soon! Simply strain out the seeds when the gel appears and you've got a great, natural hair gel that is cheap as all get out. Because it is natural, it doesn't last very long, but probably adding some vitamin E from a liquid tablet will make it last a whole lot longer.

By thintieguy from Los Angeles, CA

My grandmother used to make this same recipe for hair gel from flax seed too, for my mother when she was a girl. It seemed to have been a long-forgotten recipe, so I was surprised to see that you had discovered it!

How much water? Just barely over the seeds? More?

If you are looking for a chemical free hair gel, try egg whites. This is a guide about use egg white for hair gel.

Hair sticking up because of egg whites.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Do you know of a recipe to make your own homemade wet look gel? The wetter looking the better.

By Tony

See all the archives (Related) below your post for ideas. Flaxseed "juice", gelatin, etc.

What can I use to make hair gel from everyday items?

By Dalton

Does anyone know how to make spray gel? I tried mixing some with water in a spray bottle but it didn't come out right. Or even a recipe for hair gel or root booster. This stuff gets very expensive to buy at the salon.

Thanks

Kathie, Portland, ME

Answers:

Homemade Recipe For Hair Gel Or Root Booster?

Aloe Vera Jelly is a great hair gel. Its not really homemade, but is inexpensive. Very good for the skin and hair. A good moisturizer, all natural. I buy from http://www.aloetherapy.com. and their Aloe plants are grown in Greenhouses. All Natural, no insecticides.
(01/10/2005)

By Joy

Back in my high school and college years, when I wore a mohawk or a wild spiky do- I used Elmer's glue or liquid spray starch in order to get a great hold at a tiny fraction of the cost since I needed to use it so frequently. (02/24/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Mix petroleum jelly with aloe vera, dove conditioner, and with any type of moisturizing lotion.
(mix well). (02/25/2006)

By Kenyon

When I had a mohawk, I would use a mixture of Elmers' glue and either normal hair gel or liquid hand soap (the mixture makes it a lot easier to wash out) (12/05/2006)

By Joe

homemade hair jell for mohawks over 4 inches

I've tried A LOT of gels and i honestly have to say that corn starch that comes in a box that you can get anywhere and elmer's glue mixed together into a thick paste is the best. (07/10/2007)

By wolf l.

Egg whites, egg whites and elmers glue is better, but egg whites works also. After you blow dry or naturally dry your hair run the egg white through the part you wish would spike, then hold it up for a bit, you can also blow dry it to speed up the process. It makes it stand longer if you lay down and hang your head off the couch or bed so that all your blood rushes to your head and your brain is scrambled.
=] (10/30/2007)

By Catherine Johnson.

I'm not really sure how well it works but someone told me that if you boil 2 cups of water and 1/4 cup of sugar it makes a really strong hairspray. (04/17/2010)

By imxaxmuffin

Boil on what temperature and how long?