Homemade Heat Packs

I am going to make some therapeutic bags for heating and cooling muscles and injuries. I plan to use flax seed for filler. What is the best kind of fabric (heat resistant, yet breathes) for me to use as the outer shell?

By Trixee from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Homemade Heat Packs

I made rice bags years ago, and I used unbleached muslin. I heat them in the microwave. I've not had any problems. (11/22/2010)

By mrs.story

Homemade Heat Packs

Jersey knit, like from jersey t-shirt sheets works great too! (11/22/2010)

By bkvander

Homemade Heat Packs

Rice would be better than flax seed. The flax seed is smaller and easier to burn if you have it in too long. Rice burns too, but not as easily. They all crumble with time. Stocking fabric is good. Buy tube socks and use them. Cut off at the ankle and sew it at both ends. (11/24/2010)

By TandT Grandma

Homemade Heat Packs

Flax seed will mold when exposed to moisture and the oils in it will probably turn rancid when exposed to repeated heat. I'd use rice, beans, or something dry. (11/25/2010)

By susanmajp

Homemade Heat Packs

I have a friend who sells these at a chiropractor's office locally. She recommends only using cotton fabric (denim) and cotton thread and then fills them with corn from a feed store. They heat evenly, stay warm longer, and the cotton will not flame out in the microwave.
(11/26/2010)

By steelerfan43

Homemade Heat Packs

I made microwaveable heatpacks using terry cloth and rice. I put Velcro across one end so the rice could be emptied out and the terry washed. I also made covers for this using different fabrics for the different seasons. Good luck. (11/26/2010)

By Banty

Making a Microwave Heating Rice Pad
Making Microwave Heating Pads
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
🎉
🎄