Homemade Ice Packs

Ice is great for boo-boos, but marshmallows are even better because there are no pointy edges. I have a package in the freezer, still in it's original bag, to use for headaches, bruises or other boo-boos.

;)

More Solutions

I always keep some of those Capri Sun juice packs on hand for the neighborhood kids. We live on a lake and there's always children going by.

For boo-boos, swelling or high fevers, slip a freezer-sized zipper bag into a tube sock THEN fill it with ice and zip.

Take a diaper and take apart the layers. In the middle is cotton type material, it contains microscopic crystals, that holds moisture.

15 Questions

I've been trying to think of ways to defeat heat stroke. I'm thinking about buying these jell packs filled with Phase change material. They are expensive. Would any one have ideas on making some thing similar? To elaborate, phase change material aren't freezing cold. They just pump out a nice pleasant 60 degrees or so over a long period to help you avoid heat stroke in the absence of air conditioning. any one got any ideas on creating a cheap, cost effective version of this stuff?

Quizzelbuck from Toledo, OH

Answers

By Joe (Guest Post)

Place a bag of dried beans in a sock & place it in a freezer over night & use it to cool down.
Plus you can still cook the beans afterword!
Get creative & make you a nice pillow out of an old teeshirt filled with dryed corn or beans to be frozen in the fridge.

By (Guest Post)

Thanks every one who read and thought about this problem and for posting. I have recently found cheap phase change packets for a fraction of what they were worth, and am no longer in need of help on this subject.

Make bags out of heavy material and loosely fill them with rice.

Make them in any shape.

They can be used by placing in the freezer or the microwave (for aches and pains)

By Rebecca (Guest Post)

How about mixing equal parts water and alcohol in a Ziplock bag, and then put that sealed bag in another ziplock and freeze? I use these in my husbands lunch. Another thing I've been meaning to try is blue Dawn dishsoap. don't add anything to it. just put in a bag and freeze. It goes to just a cold pack.

By pab (Guest Post)

Hi, my son was working in the oil fields in calif. and it gets pretty hot. He almost had a heat stroke and I asked my naturopath Doctor what to do and he said take colloidal minerals. Well I got some for him and that did the trick. I even take it during the hot summer months to avoid overheating. Natures Sunshine sells colloidal minerals. It is liquid minerals which work faster than pills.

By Jim (Guest Post)

Where did you find the Phase Change packs?
I could use some.

Ebay. The guy who sold them to me was a marine bomb squad technician . He used them under his bomb disposal suit in 145 degree heat in Iraq. he had 5 or 6 stocked up from his service, and liquidated them for like $50 a pop. The normally go for $150 unshipped. They are well worth that much.

By Dennis Lee (Guest Post)

Making homemade phase change cold packs should be relatively easy to implement as they are by definition not freezing cold but instead delivering a more constant and stable 60 degrees F. for a much lower period of time.

The recipe calls for the use of something called Sodium polyacrylate it is the stuff that also happens to be in baby diapers.

One can get Sodium polyacrylate from, www.watersorb.com/prices.htm

The unique thing about Sodium polyacrylate is that it has the ability to absorb 30 gallons of water per pound of sodium polyacrylate granules.

A little sodium polyacrylate medium sized granules goes a long way. One should only use 1 teaspoon of sodium polyacrylate granules per quart of water. So for example when using a gallon sized ziploc bag use no more than 4 teaspoons of the sodium polyacrylate granules with four quarts of water.

By using the sodium polyacrylate granules when mixed in the proper recommended above ratio one can make a suitable homemade phase change ice pack that can by design parameters have a much higher and not freezing cold 32 degrees F but instead delivering a more constant and stable 60 degrees F. for a much lower period of time.

This is the way to go as far as customizing ones own homemade phase change ice pack for different desired objective temperature points for different chilling objective applications.

Answer this Question

Can I make a homemade "cooling" bandanna or similar product?

By Denise Carlino from Duluth, MN

Answers

Try this site:
www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

Thanks! I am going to try using the ice packs that come with my medication first. This is my plan. Open the ice pack and fill a snack sized baggie with the cooling material and follow the instructions to add to a bandanna. Any ideas or suggestions?

Answer this Question

The small lemon shaped plastic juice containers can be reused for a small ice pack. This is a page about using lemon juice containers as an ice pack.

A lemon shaped container for lemon juice.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Rather than buying therapeutic ice packs to use for pain, try making your own. The process is easy and this page contains ideas, including the materials needed for putting together homemade ice packs using alcohol.

Vodka being poured onto a soft cloth to be used in an ice pack.

This is a page about making an ice pack with rice. This easy to make ice pack comes in handy for bumps and other injuries.

Making an Ice Pack With Rice

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

How do you make a homemade ice pack?

I tried making the homemade gel packs with alcohol, and I kept having issues with the stuff leaking out. I had it triple bagged, and it still leaked out.

I just had surgery for a broken femur bone and am going through ice without an ending. Does anyone have the recipe for homemade ice pack gel?

I remembered someone suggesting freezing dish washing detergent in a Ziploc bag, so I tried that. It was fantastic! The detergent never completely froze, so it conformed very well to the shape of my face.

Load More
Health & Beauty First AidAugust 23, 2012
🍀
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf864560.tip.html