Homemade Ice Packs

I tried making the homemade gel packs with alcohol, and I kept having issues with the stuff leaking out. I had it triple bagged, and it still leaked out. Is there a heavier type bag I should use? I feel like it's getting more expensive due to the need to keep adding more bags to attempt keeping the fluid from leaking out.

Do the sealers work any better, or does it keep it from forming better to the body when icing?

By Mable from Provo, UT

Answers:

Homemade Ice Packs

When I used to have tension headaches my mother used a frozen bag of peas for my neck and shoulders, When I felt it getting soft I put it back in the freezer to refreeze. We used it for months. Of course we marked it not to use for meals. Cheaper and easier than making your own ice pack. (08/18/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

Homemade Ice Packs

Are you using the good quality ziplock bags intended for storing frozen foods? There are heavy duty with better quality seals. Try those.

But me, I would use the bag of frozen peas, or just get some ice pack things from the dollar store. You seem to be having quite a problem with these gel packs you are making, and it is hardly worth the effort. (08/20/2010)

By louel53

Homemade Ice Packs

As a physical therapist I have often recommended the type ice pack you describe, but let me give you my most recent patient advice as a better alternative. Use 2 good quality ziplock bags. Into the first one pour 2 large bottles of Palmolive dishwashing detergent. Seal it all, but an inch or 2; force all the air out of the bag and seal the remaining inch. Place this bag into your second bag and seal this one as well, after removing all the air. Place in the freezer. Once cold you will have a gel ice pack that will conform to any body part and is reusable indefinitely, or until someone comes along and puts a hole in the bag! (08/20/2010)

By Tripleb

Homemade Ice Packs

Why don't you just make one using material and rice. It not only holds cold but can be warmed and used that way as well. I usually make up several and have them on hand for individual emergencies. Kinda like a take it and you can keep it thing. If you need more info let me know. These really work great.

Good Luck,
(08/21/2010)

By gem

Homemade Ice Packs

Mable from Provo, UT,

Yes, sealers work great to eliminate the leakage. I would suggest you freeze the mixture in regular baggies. Then when the mixture is frozen, put contents into the sealer bag; that way you can squeeze more air out just before you seal the bag. I double-sealed the bag to ensure no leaks. In addition, I turned the bag inside-out before filling in order to eliminate scratchy sides and corners. (10/30/2010)

By msgadget