Improvised Ice Packs from Your Freezer

When you have an immediate need for an ice pack, simply check your freezer first. This is a guide about improvised ice packs from your freezer.

I happened upon a great ice pack. I had an epidural block in my back this week so needed ice for swelling. I went to the freezer to make an ice pack. I realized that I had some old bread crumbs in a freezer bag and used it instead of ice.

The crumbs form to the area and the bag does not become wet with condensation. It stays cold much longer than the recommended 20 minutes on. Just put it back in the freezer for the next time. I have used frozen peas before, but like the bread crumbs much better.

By Tammie from Alabama

My chiropractor told me that, when my back was hurting, to put an ice pack on the aching pain. If I didn't have any ice packs, I could use a bag of frozen veggies, such as corn or green peas. Place a towel over the bag and lay on the bag of frozen veggies to get the best angle on the pain, rather than laying down and putting the bag of frozen veggies on top of the ache. The same bag of veggies can be used more than once like this, by refreezing them. But be sure mark them so you'll not grab them out of the freezer to prepare for your meal as you'll have to toss them out once you're finished using them due to bacteria build up.

My chiropractor said a bag of frozen veggies was cheaper than going to the store and buying an ice pack, or in case you didn't have any already at home. Ice is better for pain sometimes than a heating pad, especially when it comes to aching hips and backs.

By Terri from NV