Homemade Jigsaw Puzzle Ideas

There are ways you can create your own jigsaw puzzle. This guide contains homemade jigsaw puzzle ideas.

April 12, 2010 Flag

This is the perfect thrifty craft for kids. You make it with things you already have on hand, and it doubles as a game.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

1. Measure and cut your paper to measure 8x8 inches.

2. Cover the front of the paper with stickers. We used free stickers that came in the mail with advertising, but any stickers will do.

3. Turn the paper over to the back. Use your ruler and pencil to separate the paper into a grid of 2 inches squares. Now cut the paper apart on the lines you drew.

4. Turn the puzzle pieces over to the picture side and try to put your puzzle back together again, by matching the parts of the sticker pictures you cut apart when you made the pieces. It's trickier than it looks.

5. Store your puzzle pieces in an envelope.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

No Photo!

Editor's Note: Oops, sorry about that. It should be showing now.

This is great! I have 4 boys and even though we recycle, I really hate to get rid of their art projects they bring home from school. Now, I think I will try this with most of them and just give them away.

Very nice idea and how pretty it turned out. Thank you for sharing this fun child's craft.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Wow! Now I have something my granddaughter can do with her stickers besides stick them all over me!

hahahaha! I especially liked the way you recommended we store them!

March 24, 2009 Flag

This clever craft produces a nice gift or an educational kid's toy using recycled materials. You will need a sturdy, but not thick, piece of cardboard. The front or back of a cereal box is perfect. Choose a photo, a magazine picture, the front of a greeting card, etc. and glue it onto the cardboard. On the back of the cardboard, draw jigsaw shapes. Keep in mind the skill level of the person for whom you are making it when drawing the shapes. Cut out the shapes, put them in a ziplock bag or an empty card box covered with wrapping paper.

When my husband and I were dating, I enlarged a picture of myself, made the puzzle, and mailed the pieces to him with a note attached saying, "Do I puzzle you?" I think it would be a nice grandparents' gift. Enlarge a picture of the grandchildren and send it along to them. For a child's puzzle, you could use a pictures of the child or other family members, their favorite characters, alphabet letters, numbers, shapes, animals, etc. Great way to encourage problem solving skills and fine motor skills. When they are old enough, it would be a nice rainy day project.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Simple and easy gift :-) Definitely good for children to learn while having personalized fun and clever what you did for your hubby ;-)

November 11, 2011 Flag

Several years ago on the Martha Stewart Show, she showed how to make a puzzle using wooden blocks and personal photos. Any ideas? I have misplaced the directions. Thanks for your help! These puzzles make a wonderful gift and lots of memories.

By Wanda F

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this what you are looking for or at least close to it? Pretty please let me know if this is what you meant or not because I would really love to know, okay :-)

Go to MarthaStewart.com & push crafts at the top band. Or Search in search box. She usually has everything there. If you know the Show-Date it aired you could make the search a little easier.Also try (Themarthastewartshow.com) Good Luck & Happy Crafting! : )

Using cereal boxes or similar is really good for young children as it's something they see on a regular basis and will recognize. Just cut it into squares or different shapes to make it a bit more difficult.

March 10, 2006 Flag

A fun way to reuse old calendars that have nice pictures is to glue each picture to a piece of cardboard. Then cut the cardboard and picture into puzzle pieces.

By ThriftyFun

Kewl idea!! You could also take a photograph of someone or something~~enlarge it and also do that as a puzzle......Ruth :0)

February 19, 2007 Flag

Make a personalized homemade jigsaw puzzle by gluing a photograph to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood. If you have a color Ink Jet printer you can print the photo yourself. Then use a jigsaw to cut your puzzle pieces.

Make Your Own MiscellaneousJune 7, 2012
Jigsaw Puzzle Tips
Jigsaw Puzzle Tips and Tricks
A woman working on a puzzle.
Making a Jigsaw Puzzle Mat
jigsaw puzzle
Making a Puzzle Storage Board
Making a Puzzle Board
Making a Puzzle Board