Homemade Placemat Ideas

Making your own unique placemats is a great way to use your craft skills. This is a guide about homemade placemat ideas.

Homemade Placemats
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 1, 2010 Flag

I take pictures from trips I have taken, laminate them on placemat size paper. They are always of interest when people come to dinner. I have also done this with various holiday cards, so I have placemats to go with all holidays.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 13, 2009 Flag

Recycle Christmas cards to make a Christmas placemat!

January 26, 2015 Flag

Save money by overlapping two square napkins to form a rectangular placemat. Napkins were 25 cents a pack.

Use Napkin as PlacematUse Napkin as Placemat

August 7, 2008 Flag

Pocketed placemat with patchwork heart design.My husband brought home these denim placemats because he liked the pocket for the silverware. I scurried to my "resource" center and got out some material and made 1 inch red bias tape for the edging. Then I found the "heart" material in another "resource" box. The place mats are 15 inches by 19 inches. If your machine (like mine) will never be able to sew a denim pocket on a placemat because of the thickness, you could use a shirt pocket or just make a pocket. A while back one of our "thrifty" group suggested always using cloth napkins. Along the way I have now collected a large, varied assortment of designs. These placemats could be given for gifts at any holiday or a housewarming present. Great for picnics! Enjoy!

Approximate Time: one hour

• scrap material
    • sewing machine

Instructions:

Either buy or cut out material to hem to 15x19 inch. Sew a denim pocket or something just as pretty to the placemat. Start embellishing!

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

November 22, 2005 Flag

I design and make so many placemats that I have a template on my computer! When I decide on a theme for a new placemat, I play around with it on the computer. When I'm happy with what I've created, I print it out and crochet from the chart.

Templates for placemats.

April 9, 2006 Flag
    Kelli Mahoney0 found this helpful

Photo placemat.If you have a lot of extra photos and dread putting them all in albums, a photo placemat is a great way to show them off to everyone. You can use your scrapbook skills and supplies to create an entertaining place at the dinner table. The photo fun placemat is a great gift to give to friends. However, I find that young kids really like to see themselves when they eat. I made this one after a trip to the zoo.

Supplies

• 8 1/2 x 11 scrapbook paper - red
    • photos
    • solid color scrapbook paper - yellow
    • die cuts
    • scrapbook markers
    • scissors - regular
    • scissors - designer edged
    • sticky adhesive dots
    • double-sided sticky tape
    • self-laminating sheets

Instructions:

1. Take pictures and stick them to yellow scrapbook paper using double-sided sticky tape.
    2. Cut around the pictures using designer-edged scissors, giving the pictures a framed feel.
    3. Put the die-cut with the "title" on the top. In this case the title is "Zoo-pendous." You can use the double sided sticky-tape. Remember, you will want the paper to be horizontal rather than vertical.
    4. Lay out the pictures and stick them to the red paper. Using the double sided sticky tape.
    5. Use the sticky dots for the die cuts to give them a "sticker" back, and place them around the pictures.
    6. When your layout is complete, use the self-laminating sheets to turn your page into a placemat. Take one sheet and place it over the top, then turn the placemat over and stick another laminating sheet to the bottom. If you have a laminating machine, even better, as you can use it to laminate the placemat.
    7. These are also nice for putting up on the fridge, too. Just add magnets to the back of the placemat.

January 17, 2006 Flag

For a western-themed party, cut out the thigh areas of old blue jeans and sew them into placemats. Be sure to keep the pockets intact and sew them on the placemat for the insertion of silverware.

By Bobbie from Imperial, NE

October 26, 2010 Flag

I am going to get some clear contact paper and cover my daughter's pictures that she drew and colored. I am going to use these as placemats. I will border the sides of the paper with ribbon if I find the right color.

I am also going to make a self esteem placemat for my kids. I will have their friends write what they like the most about my child.

This will be a keepsake and they can look at it often.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

October 14, 2008 Flag

Bring the beauty of fall indoors with these easy to make, leaf-printed placemats. The kids will have a ball making these.

Leaf print mats with fall colors.

Crafts Home Decor KitchenApril 4, 2013
    Photo of homemade orange jello.
    Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
    Placemat Purse
    Making a Placemat Purse
    Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
    Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
    Chex Mix
    Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:32:34 AM on 10.0.0.6 in 655 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.