Homemade Placemat Ideas

Making your own unique placemats is a great way to use your craft skills. This is a guide about homemade placemat ideas.

November 1, 2010 Flag

I take pictures from trips I have taken, laminate them on placemat size paper. They are always of interest when people come to dinner. I have also done this with various holiday cards, so I have placemats to go with all holidays.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 13, 2009 Flag

Recycle Christmas cards to make a Christmas placemat!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 7, 2008 Flag

My husband brought home these denim placemats because he liked the pocket for the silverware. I scurried to my "resource" center and got out some material and made 1 inch red bias tape for the edging. Then I found the "heart" material in another "resource" box. The place mats are 15 inches by 19 inches. If your machine (like mine) will never be able to sew a denim pocket on a placemat because of the thickness, you could use a shirt pocket or just make a pocket. A while back one of our "thrifty" group suggested always using cloth napkins. Along the way I have now collected a large, varied assortment of designs. These placemats could be given for gifts at any holiday or a housewarming present. Great for picnics! Enjoy!

Approximate Time: one hour

Instructions:

Either buy or cut out material to hem to 15x19 inch. Sew a denim pocket or something just as pretty to the placemat. Start embellishing!

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

that is such a neat idea. Good job.

Zig

About 10 years ago our ladies church group made this type of place mat to give as doorprizes at our luncheon; they were a huge hit. We used recycled denim jeans to make the placemats and cut off the pockets from the jeans to apply to the mat. If your sewing machine won't sew the thick fabric, I would suggest using a fabric glue to glue them down.

Read More Comments...

January 26, 2015 Flag

Save money by overlapping two square napkins to form a rectangular placemat. Napkins were 25 cents a pack.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 9, 2006 Flag
Kelli Mahoney0 found this helpful

If you have a lot of extra photos and dread putting them all in albums, a photo placemat is a great way to show them off to everyone. You can use your scrapbook skills and supplies to create an entertaining place at the dinner table. The photo fun placemat is a great gift to give to friends. However, I find that young kids really like to see themselves when they eat. I made this one after a trip to the zoo.

Supplies

Instructions:

1. Take pictures and stick them to yellow scrapbook paper using double-sided sticky tape.
  2. Cut around the pictures using designer-edged scissors, giving the pictures a framed feel.
  3. Put the die-cut with the "title" on the top. In this case the title is "Zoo-pendous." You can use the double sided sticky-tape. Remember, you will want the paper to be horizontal rather than vertical.
  4. Lay out the pictures and stick them to the red paper. Using the double sided sticky tape.
  5. Use the sticky dots for the die cuts to give them a "sticker" back, and place them around the pictures.
  6. When your layout is complete, use the self-laminating sheets to turn your page into a placemat. Take one sheet and place it over the top, then turn the placemat over and stick another laminating sheet to the bottom. If you have a laminating machine, even better, as you can use it to laminate the placemat.
  7. These are also nice for putting up on the fridge, too. Just add magnets to the back of the placemat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great idea, my daughter is going to the circus next week, maybe i will make her one afterwards.

I put a glass top on a small table. On the back I taped favorite photos so they

showed through when it was on the table.

I get to enjoy the photos more this way.

I got my glass table top at Walmart.

Read More Comments...

January 17, 2006 Flag

For a western-themed party, cut out the thigh areas of old blue jeans and sew them into placemats. Be sure to keep the pockets intact and sew them on the placemat for the insertion of silverware.

By Bobbie from Imperial, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is a great idea! Along with the blue jean placemats, I would get the men's red print hankerchiefs to use for the napkins.

sounds easy enough when it comes to laundering them! thanks!

a more faded pair of jeans could be used to make fringe -- cut a strip of whatever length you it & then hand cut the fringe -1/4" or 1/2" or so

up to about 3/4" seam allowance & sew into the hem of the placemat -

i made circular 2 sided fringed denim hot mats once

is why i know

:)

Read More Comments...

April 22, 2014 Flag

This is a guide about making crocheted placemats. Crochet is a great crafting technique to use for making unique placemats for your home or to give as gifts.

Tulip Placemats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 26, 2010 Flag

I am going to get some clear contact paper and cover my daughter's pictures that she drew and colored. I am going to use these as placemats. I will border the sides of the paper with ribbon if I find the right color.

I am also going to make a self esteem placemat for my kids. I will have their friends write what they like the most about my child.

This will be a keepsake and they can look at it often.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Home Decor KitchenApril 4, 2013
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
🎉
🎄