Share Crafts

Homemade Sewing Kits

Homemade Sewing Kits

A sewing kit is not only a great gift idea, but also a nice item to have in your purse or desk at work. This is a guide about homemade sewing kits.

Solutions: Homemade Sewing Kits

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tiny Sewing Repair Kit

Tiny Sewing Repair KitI made this little thread holder to use in my Felt Monster Sewing Kit, however I realized that it would also work really well as a stand alone item. It is small enough to fit in your wallet or almost anywhere. Now it will be easy to sew a loose button back onto your clothing or fix a seam.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Sewing Kits for Men

I work for a guy who I know couldn't sew on a button to save his life. I made him a little sewing kit with pre-threaded needles (I threaded them) in black and white, and extra shirt buttons. I then taught him to sew a button, and he now has everything he needs at his fingertips.

By Linda

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Portable Sewing Kit in a Prescription Bottle

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

This way I can take sewing projects with me and finish them while I am waiting for appointments, etc. When I have a number of items to mend or hem, I either stack different bobbins in the bottle in different colors or use gray thread, which blends with almost any color.

By Lynn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Sewing Kit

Sewing kit in an Altoids tin.A sewing kit is a great gift for anyone leaving home.

• tin (an Altoids tin is perfect)
  • felt
  • cardboard
  • tape measure
  • buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps
  • black, white, and dark blue thread
  • straight pins, needles, and safety pins
  • thimble
  • needle threader

1. Cut notches in the edges of a small piece of card and wind thread around it, sticking the ends down with scotch tape.
  2. Cut out two squares of felt.
  3. Loosely sew the buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps to one square, knotting them each individually.
  4. Push the pins and needles through the other square. Place everything inside the tin. Et voila!

By Beth from England

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!