Homemade Sewing Kits

Category Sewing
A sewing kit is not only a great gift idea, but also a nice item to have in your purse or desk at work. This is a guide about homemade sewing kits.

A sewing kit is a great gift for anyone leaving home.

Materials:

Directions

1. Cut notches in the edges of a small piece of card and wind thread around it, sticking the ends down with scotch tape.
  2. Cut out two squares of felt.
  3. Loosely sew the buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps to one square, knotting them each individually.
  4. Push the pins and needles through the other square. Place everything inside the tin. Et voila!

By Beth from England

I've been looking for something to do with those containers...thanks alot! Great Idea!

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

This way I can take sewing projects with me and finish them while I am waiting for appointments, etc. When I have a number of items to mend or hem, I either stack different bobbins in the bottle in different colors or use gray thread, which blends with almost any color.

By Lynn

A great idea. You can also use empty 35mm film cannisters. I have one I use for a sewing kit and also have one for an emergency "boo-boo" kit. It's filled with small ready to use antibiotic ointment, alcohol preps, gauze, band-aids, etc.

I work for a guy who I know couldn't sew on a button to save his life. I made him a little sewing kit with pre-threaded needles (I threaded them) in black and white, and extra shirt buttons. I then taught him to sew a button, and he now has everything he needs at his fingertips.

By Linda

I visited my newly divorced son in the States last spring and one of the things I did whilst there was teach him how to sew-I even bought him a little mini-sewing machine. The gift he loved most, though, was the plastic shoe box sewing kit I built him:)

Guys love having an organised sewing kit with the basics. In the one I put together for my son I included a packet of needle threaders, and a beeswax thread waxer because I wouldn't be around to pre-thread needles for him since I would be returning to Scotland after the visit.