Homemade Sewing Kits

A sewing kit is not only a great gift idea, but also a nice item to have in your purse or desk at work. This is a guide about homemade sewing kits.

Homemade Sewing Kits
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Sewing kit in an Altoids tin.A sewing kit is a great gift for anyone leaving home.

Materials:

• tin (an Altoids tin is perfect)
  • felt
  • cardboard
  • tape measure
  • buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps
  • black, white, and dark blue thread
  • straight pins, needles, and safety pins
  • thimble
  • needle threader

Directions

1. Cut notches in the edges of a small piece of card and wind thread around it, sticking the ends down with scotch tape.
  2. Cut out two squares of felt.
  3. Loosely sew the buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps to one square, knotting them each individually.
  4. Push the pins and needles through the other square. Place everything inside the tin. Et voila!

By Beth from England

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

This way I can take sewing projects with me and finish them while I am waiting for appointments, etc. When I have a number of items to mend or hem, I either stack different bobbins in the bottle in different colors or use gray thread, which blends with almost any color.

By Lynn

I work for a guy who I know couldn't sew on a button to save his life. I made him a little sewing kit with pre-threaded needles (I threaded them) in black and white, and extra shirt buttons. I then taught him to sew a button, and he now has everything he needs at his fingertips.

By Linda

Crafts SewingJanuary 26, 2013
Homemade Chia Pet Ideas
Homemade Chia Pet Ideas
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
A homemade sewing kit.
Making a Travel Sized Sewing Kit
Girl Using Kids Sewing Machine
Homemade Craft or Sewing Kits for Kids
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 29, 2016 at 11:10:44 AM on 10.0.1.162 in 722 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.