Homemade Sewing Kits

A sewing kit is not only a great gift idea, but also a nice item to have in your purse or desk at work. This is a guide about homemade sewing kits.

May 11, 2007 Flag

Sewing kit in an Altoids tin.A sewing kit is a great gift for anyone leaving home.

1. Cut notches in the edges of a small piece of card and wind thread around it, sticking the ends down with scotch tape.
  2. Cut out two squares of felt.
  3. Loosely sew the buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps to one square, knotting them each individually.
  4. Push the pins and needles through the other square. Place everything inside the tin. Et voila!

By Beth from England

What a cute idea!

I used one of those very thin (business-card-size) magnets and stuck it to the outside. (You can use the ones that come as a product promotion and cut it to size.) Watch the magnetic fields. It's handy for keeping the needles inside the metal tin.

These make GREAT gifts to homeless folks, AND for keeping one for the car and camping/traveling. I'd add a tiny pair of folding scissors or a SAFETY COVERED straight-edge razor blade for cutting. Going a step further, one could thread several needles in different colors of thread as is sold in local stores in a package for about $2.00. Saves a lot of frustration when away from home or if having

poor vision. God bless you. : )

I've been looking for something to do with those containers...thanks alot! Great Idea!

February 2, 2005 Flag

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

August 17, 2005 Flag

I work for a guy who I know couldn't sew on a button to save his life. I made him a little sewing kit with pre-threaded needles (I threaded them) in black and white, and extra shirt buttons. I then taught him to sew a button, and he now has everything he needs at his fingertips.

Crafts SewingJanuary 26, 2013
Homemade Chia Pet Ideas
Homemade Chia Pet Ideas
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
A homemade sewing kit.
Making a Travel Sized Sewing Kit
Girl Using Kids Sewing Machine
Homemade Craft or Sewing Kits for Kids