Homemade Sewing Kits

A sewing kit is not only a great gift idea, but also a nice item to have in your purse or desk at work. This is a guide about homemade sewing kits.

May 11, 2007 Flag

A sewing kit is a great gift for anyone leaving home.

Materials:

Directions

1. Cut notches in the edges of a small piece of card and wind thread around it, sticking the ends down with scotch tape.
  2. Cut out two squares of felt.
  3. Loosely sew the buttons, hooks and eyes, and snaps to one square, knotting them each individually.
  4. Push the pins and needles through the other square. Place everything inside the tin. Et voila!

By Beth from England

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been looking for something to do with those containers...thanks alot! Great Idea!

February 2, 2005 Flag

One way to reuse prescription bottles is as a portable sewing kit. Put a spool of thread into the bottle, pierce a small hole in the lid and run the thread end out the lid. Put several needles and pins, however many you might need, inside.

This way I can take sewing projects with me and finish them while I am waiting for appointments, etc. When I have a number of items to mend or hem, I either stack different bobbins in the bottle in different colors or use gray thread, which blends with almost any color.

By Lynn

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A great idea. You can also use empty 35mm film cannisters. I have one I use for a sewing kit and also have one for an emergency "boo-boo" kit. It's filled with small ready to use antibiotic ointment, alcohol preps, gauze, band-aids, etc.

August 17, 2005 Flag

I work for a guy who I know couldn't sew on a button to save his life. I made him a little sewing kit with pre-threaded needles (I threaded them) in black and white, and extra shirt buttons. I then taught him to sew a button, and he now has everything he needs at his fingertips.

By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I visited my newly divorced son in the States last spring and one of the things I did whilst there was teach him how to sew-I even bought him a little mini-sewing machine. The gift he loved most, though, was the plastic shoe box sewing kit I built him:)

Guys love having an organised sewing kit with the basics. In the one I put together for my son I included a packet of needle threaders, and a beeswax thread waxer because I wouldn't be around to pre-thread needles for him since I would be returning to Scotland after the visit.

A homemade sewing kit.
Making a Travel Sized Sewing Kit
Crafts SewingJanuary 26, 2013
Tiny Sewing Repair Kit
Making a Tiny Sewing Repair Kit
Homemade Chia Pet Ideas
Homemade Chia Pet Ideas
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Girl Using Kids Sewing Machine
Homemade Craft or Sewing Kits for Kids
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 9:30:30 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.