Browsing: Homemade Thanksgiving Decorations

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Thanksgiving Decorations

It is fun and satisfying to make your own holiday decorations. This is a guide about homemade Thanksgiving decorations.

Fall Wreath For Thanksgiving
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 25, 2015 Flag

This Thanksgiving make some thrifty decorations that will wow your guests without breaking the bank in the process. Turn empty toilet paper rolls into beautiful fall lanterns. Add them to your window sill or fireplace shelf, and add a unique atmosphere to your party.

finished lantern

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 20, 2012 Flag

This colorful felt acorn and oak leaf decoration makes a nice wall hanging or door decoration for the holidays.

Finished wall hanging.

• felt in various colors ($.30 per square)
  • embroidery floss in your choice of colore
  • needle
  • pins
  • scissors
  • beads and buttons
  • paper templates
  • tracing paper
  • scrap cardboard, such as old file folders, etc.
Acorn piece supplies.

1. Create your templates. I traced some applique patterns and hand drew others. I transferred the tracings onto manila file folder paper or scrap cardboard.
  2. Leaf and acorn templates.
  3. Select the color felt for the acorn cap and nut and trace around your template onto the felt.
  4. Acorn cap template on felt square.Acorn template on dark brown felt square.Tracing acorn cap template onto felt.Tracing of acorn cap on felt square.
  5. Cut out felt pieces.
  6. Cutting out acorn cap.Acorn felt pieces prior to sewing together.
  7. Place two nut pieces together and backstitch with embroidery floss to join.
  8. Sewing outline stitch on acorn.
  9. Fit cap pieces over nut section. It helps to pin the pieces in place to maintain alignment of the two parts, especially where the cap attaches to the bottom. Here you will again use floss to backstitch an outline around the cap and through the nut across the bottom. I also created a crosshatched pattern on the cap for added detail.
  10. Placing cap pieces on acorn.Attaching acorn cap.
  11. Next trace and cut out your leaf pattern pieces. Follow the same assembly steps as you did for the acorn. Pin and work an backstitch to outline the leaf shape. I then added veins, again using a backstitch.
  12. Tracing leaf template onto felt.Cutting out felt leaf.Cut leaves with scissors.Pinning leaf sections together before sewing.Stitching vein details on oak leaf.Finished leaf.
  13. I added two smaller acorns to the final project at this point. You can see them near the bottom. Play with your leaves and acorns and finalize your arrangement.
  14. Creating pleasing arrangement of leaves and acorns.
  15. Once you are pleased with the final arrangement, you will need to attach the acorns and leaves to each other. I used colored beads and buttons and stitched through the pieces to create a somewhat asymmetrical hanging.
  16. Attaching leaf to large acorn with button.Attaching leaves to each other with buttons.Connection small acorns to bottom of wall hanging.

November 9, 2011 Flag

Using simple materials, one can make a mural decoration that will be suitable for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Heart Decoration

May 11, 2012 Flag

I want to start planning for next year and decorations for thanksgiving are few and far between. Actually Christmas just seems to jump right in there without any ideas for thanksgiving. I crochet and am thinking about starting to create some designs just for thanksgiving. I'll try to convert any suggestions you give me to crochet patterns as well as using your original ideas, too.

By JazzyMe from Los Angeles, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Make garland out of the fallen leaves to hang around the door. Just hot glue them on a piece of rope. Collect when the leaves start changing colors. A wicker basket of pine cones also makes a nice centerpiece.

November 14, 2013 Flag

I love to decorate our home in rich tones, after a playful Halloween decoration came down I found these pretty glass Christmas tree ornaments at a flea market last year.

Thanksgiving chandelier.

November 20, 2014 Flag

Last fall I made a felt wall swag using oak leaf and acorn elements. I wanted to make a larger garland this year. Originally I was considering something that would hang in the dining room window. Unhappy with the initial results, I decided to follow a process similar to that used for the oak leaf project. This is the final result.

closeup of part of garland

November 25, 2008 Flag

Welcome your guests to a Thanksgiving meal with a homemade wreath for the season. You can make your own and then you can reuse it year after year.

Fall Wreath For Thanksgiving

November 18, 2004 Flag

A simple decoration for Thanksgiving is cloves stuck in an orange. I did this last year with my children and they loved it. Whole cloves have a pointy end that can easily stick into the orange. Let the kids come up with their own designs. It has a wonderful scent also!

By Jennifer

December 7, 2005 Flag

Cute Edible Apple TurkeyThese are really cute turkeys made out of apples that kids can make for school or just eat as a snack. They also make adorable Holiday Table decorations. They can be made with either Fruit Loops or raisins. Variations: head can be a cut out that is glued on or a large marshmallow with raisin eyes and a candy corn stuck into it for a beak.

Directions:

To make the feathers: Take raisins or Fruit Loops and slide onto toothpicks about 3/4 the way down. Place a mini-marshmallow on the end. You will need 6 or 7 "feathers" depending on the size of your apple. Stick the "feathers" into the back of the apple.

To make the head: Slide raisins down toothpick and top with a green olive (head). Use cloves for eyes. If your olive has a pimiento you can pull it out the back of the olive and let it hang so that it looks like a turkey wattle.

Insert three toothpicks under the turkey so it can stand freely.

By Cheryl Lore from Asheville, NC

November 20, 2008 Flag

Make a turkey head out of paper and affix to toothpicks. (if you want it more fancy, make it out of felt and stuff with batting)

Decorate it anyway you want, ribbons, googly eyes, a pilgrim hat, feather headdress, you choose.

Push toothpicks into bottom of pineapple

Tada! a turkey!

By Okwes from Wilmington, DE

May 29, 2013 Flag

This colorful oak leaf and acorn fall wall hanging is made from felt. It makes a nice wall hanging or door decoration for the holidays. This is a great Thanksgiving decoration. View the full project here: Autumn Felt Wall or Door Hanging

November 23, 2009 Flag

A turkey that lights up for great conversations and giggles. Prop the pumpkin on an angle on the platter so the top points up at a 45-degree slant if it doesn't balance easily.

pumpkin turkey with candle feathers

November 18, 2008 Flag

I like to take my children walking in our neighborhood. On our walks we find beautiful leaves and seed pods that have fallen from the trees. We collect them and take them home to use them as our Thanksgiving decorations. Bare twigs and seed pods are added in our fall bouquets or as part of our Thanksgiving centerpiece. We also tape large brightly colored leaves all over on our walls, which simulates the outdoor fall season. I also draw large leaves on water color paper and have had my children paint and decorate them for use as name place cards for our Thanksgiving dinner.

By Shannon from Los Angeles, CA

November 28, 2007 Flag

Tie a length of nice holiday ribbon to apple stems and suspend them from the ceiling or in an archway or doorway from thumbtacks. Make sure though, that they hang higher than the tallest person's head, who lives with you or visits, so they don't get bumped!

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia. MO

Holidays and Parties Thanksgiving CraftsOctober 22, 2012
Spring floral wall bucket using artificial flowers.
Homemade Spring Decorations
Thanksgiving Pumpkin Centerpiece Craft
Thanksgiving Craft Ideas
Pumpkin soup inside a pumpkin.
Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes
Thanksgiving turkey craft.
Thanksgiving Turkey Craft Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:40:04 AM on 10.0.2.223 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.