Homemade Thermos

We need to make a thermos that can keep an ice cube from melting with stuff from home. Any suggestions?

Sheri from Niagara Falls, ON

Answers:

Homemade Thermos

If it's for a school project or something like that, just take some old pieces of packing Styrofoam that were used to surround a new VCR or whatever (not the peanut type, actual large pieces of foam) then cut them to shape. If you don't have any pieces of Styrofoam either go to an electronics store and ask them if they have any or, you can buy a piece of foam insulation for around $5 at any Home Depot store.

It comes in many thickness all are under $7, the thin ones are only $3. Next, cut these to the size you prefer, then glue together *PRESTO* you have a mini ice cooler. If you need a lid, then carve the top foam to fit into the bottom sections. Another idea for foam is to glue together pieces of foam board until it's the thickness you need (Dollar Tree sells sheets of it). To make you homemade cooler really work, add aluminum foil to the inside and outside of the foam.

Second Idea: If its not a school project, but you just need to keep things cool in the car or on a short trip whatever: You are gonna think I'm nuts, but I like to take frozen treats with me on long drives during the hot months and I use the arms cut off of wool sweaters. Put one or 2 inside of the other one and put your stuff in a bag and put it inside.

To do this the right way, add 2 of those blue cooling blocks or re-freezing gel after you've put your stuff in the wool sweater sleeves, put one blue-ice thing on one side and one on the other. I've had frozen yogurt and frozen mango chunks stay frozen for several hours this way. Popsicles will stay frozen about an hour. Lastly you can wrap the sleeves inside of the rest of the sweaters. (the body of the wool sweater)

The theory is: If something can keep you warm, it can also keep you cool. When I bring home frozen stuff, I'll wrap the bags up with one or 2 of my winter coats for added insulation. (04/26/2008)

By Cyinda

Homemade Thermos

Aluminum foil is pretty good and white paint will help reflect the heat from the sun. (05/15/2008)

Homemade Thermos

Use fibre glass and then cover it. (05/27/2008)

By Julia

Homemade Thermos

Use duct tape and bubble wrap. Heat can't transfer through. (05/28/2008)

By Bob

Homemade Thermos

Use duct tape, aluminum foil and a see through container. (06/02/2008)

By Julia

Homemade Thermos

(submitted via email)

It would work better with black paint covering the whole container with bubble wrap and lots of tin foil.

Dominc (11/19/2008)

By jess

Homemade Thermos
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Cleaning a Thermos
Cleaning a Thermos
stainless steel thermos
Replacement Parts for Gott Thermos
Thermos
Finding Replacement Parts for a Gott Thermos
🎉
🎄