Cleaning a Thermos

Category Miscellaneous
Whether stainless steel or glass, these insulated containers need to be rid of prior food or beverage odors. This guide is about cleaning a thermos.

To clean a thermos easily, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets and let soak 1 hour or more, then rinse.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Both the Clorox Bleach company Customer Service and Oxiclean Customer Service say not to use their products to clean a stainless steel thermos. Why? Using products that contain bleach can cause damage to the metal. I contacted the company that makes "Simple Green" and was told that their product will not damage a stainless steel thermos.

Here is the email response from Simple Green:

Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner is safe and effective for cleaning the inside of a stainless steel thermos. The product can be used at about a 1:10 dilution ratio. To insure that there is no residue remaining, rinse thoroughly with clean water.

Customer Service and Business Support Manager
Sunshine Makers, Inc./ Simple Green
15922 Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
562-795-6091

I was able to purchase Simple Green at Ace Hardware. It is likely that it is available at other hardware supply stores. And yes, it does work.

This is a guide about cleaning a stainless steel thermos. Tea and coffee are common beverages kept in a thermos. Both can leave stains inside.

Stainless Steel Thermos against white background

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a pop top thermos that doesn't come apart, but I need to clean it. I use it everyday and I need to figure out how to clean this. I don't want to buy a new thermos. Can you help me? Thank you.

By Yvonne

Answers

Use a bottle brush & soapy water and a bit of bleach.

You can also add alittle salt & chopped ice & shake, let sit and shake again comes out crystal clean! Also works good for your glass coffee pot.

I purchased a baby bottle brush and have found it to be very useful.

Add some uncooked rice & a little water & shake that should break up any sort of residue that formed. The chipped ice works really well on coffee pots.

Maybe a denture cleaning tablet and warm water placed inside the thermos could clean the inside.

Those denture tablets are not expensive at the dollar-type stores. They can be used to clean a number of items; such a a vase, even to cleaning the toilet bowl. (I learned about these denture tablets right here on Thrifty Fun!)

Does anyone have some tips on cleaning a dirty (coffee) thermos?

By Sushila

Answers

Let it soak in hot water and dish soap in the sink, then scrub.

Get "white magic". Available for a few dollars from supermarkets. With that and just water you'll be amazed at what you can remove without the need for scrubbing.

Put a small amount of soapy water in it. Then add about a teaspoon of dried rice in the thermos. Cover and shake well. This usually gets all the residue out.

Most thermos's come apart. If yours does then take it apart and wash it in hot soapy water. Use sponge on a stick to get down inside to scrub there good.

If it doesn't come apart, then fill the sink with hot soapy water and soak it for a while. You can pour some vinegar inside and shake it up good first if it has built up coffee residue in it. After you get all the residue out of it, put some baking soda in it and let it sit for about an hour. That will get the vinegar smell out. Then wash it good with hot soapy water.

After you get it cleaned good, be sure and wash it after each use. If it can't be washed right away (if you're on a trip) then pour hot water (almost boiling but not quite--like what comes out of a commercial coffee pot at convenience stores or truck stops) in it and shake it up real good, then empty it.

Soap, water, bottle brush. Done.

My son left a new stainless steel thermos in a friends car for several days with a small amount of hot chocolate in it. I cleaned out the mold by soaking with bleach but some odor still remains. How do I get out the remaining moldy odor?

Kim from Canada

Answers

Try a heavy mixture of boiling water and 1/4 cup dishwasher soap and let it soak overnight, then rinse thoroughly the next day, until all smell of the soap &/Or mold is gone. This may take a few times to completely clean it out.

Kim, from Canada; I use baking soda and water,to get odors out of my thermos, it works everytime. Let it sit, for a while.

Try dissolving a denture cleaning tablet in the thermos with very hot water and let it sit for a while, overnight if possible. Then rinse, and the moldy odor will probably be gone. I use cheap denture cleaning tablets from the dollar stores for a variety of cleaning and deodorizing jobs. They are great for getting hard water stains out of flower vases and other glassware, too.

Tori from Pittsburgh, PA

Try filling the thermos with plain white vinegar and let it set overnight. Then empty it out in the morning and rinse well.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try and will let you know what works.

What is the best way to remove coffee stains from my thermos?

How do you get the hot chocolate flavor out of a thermos?

How do you remove a metallic taste from a stainless steel thermos?

By ERC

Answers

The taste is probably not coming from the stainless steel. It is probably coming from the cap or plug which is lined with plastic or rubber. The best thing to do is not cap the thermos between washings. Leave it opened and the plug and cap opened to the air.

I have the same problem with a stainless steel thermos, and it is a stainless steel taste, not plastic or rubber. I'm hoping someone posts a good solution.

I have used a stainless steel thermos for years, and have no problem with metallic taste. I have found that decaf coffee doesn't keep a fresh taste and taste metallic, but that is the nature of the coffee. Regular coffee is fine. My son has a stainless steel water bottle; he has no trouble with off taste. What are you carrying in your thermos?

I have a new stainless water bottle that I recently used to put iced coffee in. I ended up dumping it out because it tasted so bad, bitter & metallic. This was a new bottle I'd never used either. I washed it & air dried it without the lid on it too. I'm disappointed, hope someone else has an idea on it, I just figured I wasn't going to be able to put coffee in it.

How do you thoroughly clean the pop top (pourable) lid to a stainless steel thermos? I don't see any way to take it apart, but it smells and needs some serious cleansing.

I have tired soaking in dishwater, bleach, and dishwasher detergent. I have wedged it open and put it through the dishwasher. Nothing helps.

By Marnie L.

My thermos has black scale in it and I hope someone out there can help solve my problem. How can I remove this?

By Julie Z. from Kamloops, BC

My husband has a flourishing thermos, but somehow the lid with spout now smells and tastes like burnt coffee. How do we get rid of it?

By Suzie D

I used baking soda and ice cubes to clean the coffee residue from inside my glass lined thermos. Within thirty seconds of swirling it exploded, what did I do to get that?

By TV from Spring Hill, FL