House Train Pit Bull Puppy

I have a 7 month old Pit Bull and I need help. I'm trying to potty train him, but he doesn't sit by the door or come tell me when he has to go. What can I do about that?

He does not poo in the house at all, but he still pees. He doesn't just stop and pee, he runs and pees. Then he goes into the kennel and goes there like it is the right thing to do. What can I do to stop this? Did I do something wrong? Help please.

By iyceon from Raleigh, NC

Answers:

Housetrain Pit Bull Puppy

You shouldn't need to use commands to get your dog to "go".

Crate training, consistency and proper exercise should do it. People often forget about the long and brisk walks dogs need for proper exercise. They do help "move things along" like clockwork. If your walks are too short, you'll find your dog pooping in the house sometime after your walk. Brisk is also a key word there. Your heart rate should go up a little from the exertion if you're doing it right.

You also should be consistent about the feedings and snacks. Your dog should get regular snacks because a once a day food really isn't good for their metabolism (or yours). Keep them regular and allow adequate time for digestion before you expect the dog to be "going".

It might be convenient for you to get up at 7am and spend a minute or two out with the dog for them to pee; then feed them while you shower. If you take a 10 minute shower; you can't expect your dog to be able to poop while you run him out before you rush off to work. Something like that is setting you and the dog up for failure because you aren't being realistic.

Even with a morning snack, you want to allow at least 30-45 mins of relaxation after feeding and before a good 15 min minimum brisk walk to allow them time to "go" as you'd like.

Likewise, you want to give all the water the dog wants, but if your dog falls just short of being able to wait till morning to pee; you have to see about getting up a little earlier or slightly decreasing the water before bedtime.

It's consistancy, a little planning, and some observation on your particular dog and you'll both be trained in no time. (01/28/2008)

By D

Housetrain Pit Bull Puppy

Be very consistent. I am having a housebreaking issue with my two new Pit Bull puppies. Don't scold the dog for going in the house. That only makes them scared and want to hide and go to the bathroom. I am learning that it takes a lot of time and patience. I use a product called Simple Solution to remove the odor from my carpets and that seems to work pretty well. Hang in there! (02/10/2008)

By Pit Bull Lover

House Train Pit Bull Puppy

One of the best pieces of information about training I ever received when I rescued a pup was this: "If you think she has to go out, she has to go out." No playing outside, just the reason you're there. And, most importantly, be patient. (07/02/2010)

By mountainbrd

House Train Pit Bull Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pit Bull Mix
Pit Bull Mix Photos
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
A dog reading a paper.
Paper Training a Puppy
🎉
🎄