Household Chemicals for Pool Maintenance

boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool
With proper testing, you can safely maintain your pool water pH balance using generic household chemicals. This is a guide about household chemicals for pool maintenance.

For pool maintenance, you can use these generic household chemicals to replace most of the pool store ones.

By Rob from Gig Harbor, WA

This is a guide about homemade pool chemicals.Find affordable alternatives to maintaining your swimming pool.

A kit for testing the pool water's pH.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about using baking soda in a swimming pool. Some pool owners look for alternatives to chlorine for keeping their pool clean.

A jar of baking soda.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Many years ago, I added bleach to our kids' wading pool to keep the water from going "bad". Now my daughter would like to do the same with my 4-year old grandson's small wading pool. I don't remember the measurements? Would anyone know? Thanks.

By mkymlp

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

My hubby has a pool cleaning business and he said if its one of the little blue pools like from Walmart no more than 2 cups of the regular store bleach added to it. Basically 1 cup per 100 gallons.

Anonymous

Please use approved pool chlorine and not chlorine bleach. I know chlorine bleach is less expensive and people think that they both work the same but that's not true because it does not have the exact same chemical compounds as chlorine made for use in pools. There have been recent studies that show soaking in chlorine bleach can cause a myriad of internal diseases and decades of studies show that lung damage can occur from breathing in chlorine bleach fumes.

There was a recent medical study on eczema in children that showed that adding a teaspoon of household bleach to their bath water reduced their eczema. They think some eczema is caused by airborne staph bacteria.

Just a little would seem best. You can always add a little more to the pool.

Anonymous

The eczema study was one short term study of about three dozen children in 2009 and reported in a journal of pediatrics. The baths were done in conjunction with using antibiotics and/or steroids. Here's a short article with a bit more detail and some warnings:

http://www.baby  -for-eczema.html

I worked in a chemical plant and we made bleach as a by product. To make bleach you take a tank of 50% liquid caustic and bubble pure chlorine gas through it. Bleach is the result. So in short. You are adding caustic every time you add bleach. This is not the safest way to add chlorine in my opinion.

Install the free android app pool pal. Enter your pools gallons and get a test kit. Flawless. I use it with a 380 gallon pool.

I have an 18,000 gallon in-ground pool. How much should I use and do I mix it in a bucket first or do I dump it in my pool?

There is a lot of good information on-line about using household chemicals in your home pool but to be safe you should always use pH test strips in the water to test your pool's pH. Follow the instructions on the package to interpret the results.

This question has been asked and answered several times on ThriftyFun so you can benefit from past information/instructions.

Just check out this link:

http://www.thri  intenance-1.html

https://www.hun  usehold-products

Here is a great article about it: http://www.swim  pool-care-basics

You can sanitize with chlorine or bromine. Test your pool several times a week.

Can I use just borax and baking soda in an above ground pool? My boyfriend is allergic to chlorine bleach. We would like to get the pool in the back yard running, but he doesn't want to pay for the expensive baqucil. We would like to use household items to keep the pool balanced. I'm just trying to find a way where we can avoid using chlorine.

You would need some kind of ionizing pool cleaning system if you don't want to use chemicals.

Try ozone instead of chlorine. Good luck. Lynn