How do you clean copper pots?

How do you clean copper pots?

bbleackley from Saskatchewan

Answers:

Bar Keep's Friend

I like to use Bar Keepers Friend, it is very quick and easy. Best of all it does not require hard rubbing and polishing. I have also used table salt and lemon juice, this is OK for light tarnish. I had heard ketchup would clean copper, but it was not very effective in my opinion.. (09/20/2006)

By cosmic

Worcestershire

Believe it or not - I use Worcestershire Sauce. Let it sit for a while and wipe it off. Bartenders Friend is available at Walmart in the U.S. but I don't know about Canada. Vinegar also does a nice job. (09/20/2006)

By Annie

Ketchup

I got this tip from a TV show. To clean your copper pots and pans, use plain ketchup (the cheapest that you can find), and rub it gently with a clean, soft cloth. It doesn't harm your cookware, and it works beautifully. (09/21/2006)

By Jacklyn29

Tabasco

I was amazed that ordinary (red) tabasco sauce does a wonderful job! Give it a try! I am thinking it has an acid-like ingredient or something that does the trick, but it really does work great, and not so much elbow grease as some of the polishes you might purchase! (09/23/2006)

By bluzrooster

Vinegar

Pour a splash of vinegar on the pan then quickly dump a teaspoon of table salt on the vinegar and scrub away! You can also make a paste of vinegar, salt and enough flour to make a gravy-like consistency so the mixture will cling to whatever you're cleaning.
You can take a handful of old pennies and pour some vinegar and salt on them and rub with your fingers, then rinse with plain water. The little ones will think they have "new" pennies! Sadly, many of them want quarters or dollar bills these days! (09/23/2006)

By Grandma Margie