How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Tip Sheet: How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans Courtesy of

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

I would like to know if anyone knows how to get cooked-on grease off pots and pans? My pans are blue so I don't want to ruin the color but they hang on a rack in the kitchen so I would like for them to look pretty. Help? Thanks, Hazel

THE REPLIES (A big THANK-YOU to our wise contributors):

Bar Keeper's Friend:

Hazel, Try a product called Bar Keeper's Friend. You can find it in the grocery store usually on the top shelf around the cleansers. It is a non-abrasive cleaner and it takes off lots of stuff and leaves no scratches. I started using it when I had a smooth top Corning stove and I am never without it any more. Barb

Hot Water and Fabric Softener Sheet:

Soak in hot water and a fabric softener dryer sheet for several hours or overnight. The cooked-on gunk and grease should be easier to clean. You may have to do this a few times depending on how old and cooked-on the grease is.

Boil Water and Baking Soda Inside; Soft Scrub Outside:

I boil water with baking soda to loosen cooked-on food. On the exterior, I used Soft Scrub (with bleach) on a Teflon/rubber sponge scrubbie. I hang my pans, including the copper ones, on a decorative pan rack so that everyone can see them so they have to look good! And I do get compliments on my pans!

Oxiclean or Baking Soda

I used Oxyclean to get the build-up off of some pots I bought recently. I made a paste, then covered the burned-on grease. I let it sit about 6 hours then use a Dobbie pad (scrubber). Or use an SOS pad to remove the grease. Test a small area, in case it would remove your color, mine were stainless steel pots. Or, better yet, use a paste of baking soda, let it sit a few hours then scrub it. If there is still grease remaining, soak it in hot water and Dawn dish detergent (or any dish soap that removes grease). Then try the baking soda paste again. Csinbad

Oven Cleaner

Use an oven cleaner that doesn't require heating the oven first.

SOS Pad and Dawn or Ammonia:

The best way I know of to get grease off pans or stove is with an SOS pad dipped in a bit of Dawn dish soap mixed half and half with water in a cup. If it is baked on, try dipping the pad in ammonia and water. Nell form Texas

Hot Water & Dishwashing Compound:

So long as the pan isn't aluminum, you can soak it overnight in a sink full of hot water and dishwashing compound (the kind for machines). It will scrub clean beautifully in the morning -- this is a very good method for stained Corning ware, glass and enamel.

To get the dishwashing compound to dissolve completely, stir it up in a cup of boiling water, then add to the hot water in the sink. Karen in Seattle

How to Get Cooked-On Grease off Pans?

Never use the aerosol PAM-type cooking sprays, since you don't notice it on pans before using it and it bakes on and is nearly impossible to remove.

The same can be said for spraying things like the George Foreman Grills, there are oversprays that bake on the exterior of the grill. (08/08/2004)

By Syd

Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
A photo of delicious bacon.
Draining Grease Off Meat
grease stain on carpet
Cleaning Grease Stains on Carpet
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper