Hush Puppies

Hush puppies are about the fastest cornbread you can make on the spur of the moment. For that reason, I use it a lot when we're having something like greens or baked beans.

They are so easy. By the time your corn oil is heated, you can have the batter all stirred up and ready to start dropping them in. They cook very fast too, if you don't make them too big.

• 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
  • 1 small onion, chopped fine
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • oil for frying (I always use Mazola corn oil)

Directions:

Combine cornmeal and chopped onion; add milk and egg, stirring well. Carefully drop batter by tablespoon into deep enough oil that is hot (370 degrees F) and cook only a few at the time, turning once. Fry until hush puppies are golden brown. It only takes about 3-5 minutes. Drain them well on paper. Makes about 2 dozen depending on size.

Recipe may be doubled or tripled very well.

Julie's Note: I've seen cooks use tomato juice in place of milk in this same recipe, and I liked it very much especially if a tiny dash of a good hot sauce was added as well. They are really best when served with fried fish. I like the hush puppies best when milk is used if they are being served with anything other than a good fried fish. If you drain them really well, they are delicious when at room temperature, too.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: less than 10 Minutes

Source: My cousin Patricia lived in Ft. Myers and we'd go to visit. Her husband would have caught wonderful fresh fish, and Pat would make hush puppies even if we were camping. They're so easy and go just as good with Swamp Cabbage as they do with fish.

My Mother's recipe called for milk. I'd never eaten them made with tomato juice until we were camping out on Sanibel Island, before the first house was ever built there.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Hi Julia,thanks for sharing this one.I misplaced my recipe and was going to ask for yours.

As always,another winner.

Hush Puppies can be baked as well.Put them on a cookie sheet and spray them with cooking spray, make sure to roll them and spray all sides.Then bake @ 350 untill brown and crunchy. This way you don't get a lot of added fat.

I've often made fried cornbread, but never had a recipe for "hush puppies" from someone who'd actually made them. I'm so happy to get this recipe from you Julia. I'll be making Hush Puppies the very next time we have fish or greens. I can't wait to try them with tomato juice as well as the ones made with milk. What a good-sounding variation.

Thank you so much.

HokeyPoke

Oh, yum! My mom made wonderful hush puppies. Mary1Day... we try not to turn the oven on when temps are 90+, sorry!

Hi Julia, I am looking for a recipe for a cornbread called "Steamed Bread". Have you ever made it or would you possibly have the recipe for that? I know it's fried too, but it's made altogether differently. I would be ever so grateful if you will share it.

I'm going to try your Hush Puppies as it sounds very much like the "Steamed Bread" I'm looking for. Every time we come to Florida, we stop at a little cafe that cooks fried mullet and hush puppies. They are so good.

Thank you for sharing. You get my vote.

Songwriter

I can remember loving my mom's hush puppies when I was just a little bitty girl & most kids where I lived had never even heard of them & wouldn't try them. I still love them & my kids think I'm crazy! I usually don't make them since I'm the only one who will eat them and I like them cold from the fridge almost as well! I've never heard of them being made with tomato juice though, odd to me, but it sounds good too. Thanks for the idea!

Oh Dear, I've not even found anyone else who knew what I was talking about. I should have known that someone on ThriftyFun would know, and here I find lots of people know all about them. I'm so glad. I've tried to explain to others about what Hush Puppies are like, and I don't think they even believed me. It's nice to know that I'm not crazy, and to have a recipe to prove I'm not. LOL

Thank you all, especially Pookarina for the recipe.

Lee

I have never made corn bread, I have heard about it only online, maybe it's not an English thing, I think. I must get this corn flour in and try to make some thanks so much for the recipe.

Yup, another winner! I like them onion and some chili powder. I've never heard of them made with tomato juice either, sounds good to me.

Hush Puppie on a Fork
Hush Puppies Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads CornbreadJuly 11, 2011
red spray bottle
Homemade Bitter Apple Spray
Dog With Her Puppies
Caring for a Dog and Her Puppies
Puppy Chewing on Boot
Preventing Puppies From Chewing
Adult Male Dog and a Puppy
Adult Male Dogs and Newborn Puppies
🎉
🎄