Making an Indoor Sandbox

During the winter and on rainy days your child will enjoy playing in this indoor sandbox. This is a guide about making an indoor sandbox.

The weather is rainy and cold here. My son was starting to miss the outdoor activities that he loves, like playing in the sandbox. So I decided to bring the sandbox to him!

• shallow plastic tub with lid
  • play sand
  • toy cars and construction equipment
  • rocks, optional
  • PVC pipe pieces and joints, optional

1. Choose a tub that is long and shallow, that has a snap on lid. Note: If you have a cat at home, be aware that they may try to use it as a cat box if you don't keep the lid on when not in use.
  2. Pour the sand into the box, to the desired depth.
  3. Ad
  4. Grab those trucks and machines, then dig in and enjoy!
  5. Ad
  6. You can add rocks (boulders), PVC pipe pieces and joints (tunnels and bridges), or even sticks (logs).
  7. Ad
  8. Have a small basket for storing the vehicles and a whisk broom/dust pan nearby! You can also put the sandbox on a towel to help control the mess.
  9. Ad

This is an excellent idea. I used a similar set-up years ago because one of my sons would play all day with his small cars and trucks.

I just remember that I had to keep the area clean (sweep-up) because sand can sometimes cause a "slippery" reaction if left on bare floors (with playing children - and even adults).

Videos

Make an indoor sandbox for your preschool age child that's fun to play in, rain or shine. Learn how to make it in this short video.