Changing an Outdoor Cat into an Indoor Cat

Category Cats
Some reeducation will be required to make an indoor cat out of one that has lived outside. This is a guide about changing an outdoor cat into an indoor cat.

Animal Control recently laid down the law; keep our cats from straying into neighbor's yards. We achieved this by adding extra litterboxes indoors and by opening a window a crack for them to view the outdoors. They gradually discovered that the indoors was not so bad! There are no predators or bully top cats indoors. They grew to like us a lot more.

We do let the cats out for supervised outdoor time and discovered that they had developed an allegiance to their indoor quarters and did not roam. They seem to have more confidence in us opening and closing the door, rather than them freely using the anytime pet door. Since we are a multi-cat household, there was a transition period. But if you are faced with this situation, it is do-able.

Please email me through Thriftyfun if you need support in your challenge.

By Mary from Kensington, MD

I have two 12 year old cats who have lived their whole lives at my house. They are mainly indoor cats but have always been free to go outside whenever they wanted. In 2 weeks I will be moving to a mobile home. It has a small yard but there is a lot of traffic and I don't want to let them outside, at least not for a while. I know it will be a shock to them to suddenly be indoor only cats. If anyone has experience with kind of situation I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

Joyann from Visalia CA

Answers

Best Answer

We had the same situation as you. We just kept our 2 cats in a private room with fresh food, water & clean litter. They did just fine. Once you are all moved in, you can let your pets run around your house. They will adjust just fine.

I am taking in my neighbor's 4 year old Siamese female cat. I have been taking care of her for the last 2 years as the owner didn't seem to care if she was being fed or kept warm in the winters. I finally asked her if I could keep her and she said yes, my problem is that I want to keep her inside from now on. She will stay in during the day, but wants out at night to roam. She is fixed so I don't have to worry about that.

I could use some suggestions on how to keep her in. She will sit at the door and cry to be let out and won't stop till we let her out.

Answers

The only way to stop this is to stop letting her out, despite her cries.