Job Ideas for 14 Year Olds

As teens get older more types of jobs become available to them. This is a guide about job ideas for 14 year olds.

April 24, 2013 Flag

My name is Nathan. I'm 14. I live in the woods and have no way to make money to save up for a car. I only have 1 neighbor. Anyone have any ideas?

By Nathan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Since you live in the woods, could you make something creative, crafty, or practical out of wood? You could then sell on Etsy, or Ebay or advertise and sell your products somehow. Can you tutor a student or do some childcare after school? How about doing some typing projects for others on your computer? Good luck. I applaud you for having a good goal to work for.

Skip the car, work hard in school and go to college or a trade school (welding, carpentry etc). In a few short years you will be able to buy a really nice car!

Both ideas might be cute, but I doubt this young man took the time to ask us a legitimate question so I am going to give him a legitimate answer.

While I don't know you, I admire your spunk. Most kids your age are satisfied to just lay back and ipod their way through high school.

You say you live in the woods. Are the smaller trees your family's property? Perhaps you could sell firewood for your community. Just a hint, giving a discount to seniors is a really nice thing to do and often gives you more customers. If you are close to town, perhaps you can wash dishes at a local restaurant after school, mow lawns, wash windows or deliver papers

Not knowing where you live, I can't speak much for how your community spends it's money, etc. I can say that there might be things you can do at home. You obviously have a computer or access to one. Keeping in mind you want to make sure you are doing things according to your local laws, you might start out small by editing essays, school papers or resumes. You are quite young, but old enough to do some on line things that are helpful and legal.

I hope you reach your goal. While this link is not so much for a way to copy his idea, it shows you what a "kid" can do when he puts his mind to it.

Good luck. You are already on your way.

Sandi/Poor But Proud

July 21, 2013 Flag

I'm a 14 year old boy who is really good with technology. Any suggestions on how I can make some money?

By Nate W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Well, most 14 year old boys make money by cutting lawns in the summer or shoveling snow in the winter, delivering papers, helping with yardwork, or something like that. However, if you would also like to add some technology work to that, you might put up posters advertizing yourself as "grandson for hire" - which you will offer to do assorted chores, yardwork, lifting and moving things, and also things like setting up email, helping learn how to operate a smartphone, setting up a new TV and connecting to satellite or cable, and that sort of thing, if those are things that you can do.

People always talk about getting a "grandson" to do those sorts of things for them, and a nephew of mine invented the business name of "Hire a Son" and he and his friend are doing odd jobs and repair work and painting as summer jobs to raise money for college.

Most young people are good with technology. But what older people need is what you have too. You can do labor. You say you have no skills in that area. Simple. Ask your elderly neighbor what he/she needs done. Then ask if he/she will provide guidance for said job. If so, negotiate a price that you both feel is fair. Don't rule out bartering, some people are cash poor. Also you might ask for recommendations/referrals for that type job. Experience is the best teacher. Your technology background shows good learning ability. Good luck!

Hey! Try making a blog and show advertisements those companies could pay you big time bucks! Or you could try something simple like dog sitting my neighbors paid my sister and I 20 dollars just to let their dogs into their pen. Try it.

Nick D

July 6, 2009 Flag

I turned 14 in April. Do I have to be 14 and a half to start working at certain jobs?

By shardai*_23 from Charlotte, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

In our city you could start working at 14 but you have to obtain a work permit from the Board of Education. There are only a few jobs that are permitted and the hours are restricted also. I would find out your child labor laws in your area first. Then second you need to figure out how you would get to work. If you are riding a bike, then calculate how far each day would be feasible. After those two thens are figured out then you can figure out what kind of job to go after. A few ideas are: do light filing, baby sitting, wash cars for a car dealership,

A 14 year old could also do lawn mowing or deliver papers.

You could also do pet sitting or lawn/ plant watering for people on vacation.

It really does depend on your area, because in my area you have to be 15 to get a work permit from school, and the employers are required to have that. Good luck!

This is taken from NC department of labor site at nclabor.com/wh/fact sheets/child_involvement.htm

Children under 14 years of age may not be employed in non-agricultural occupations. Permissible employment for such children is limited to work that is exempt from the FLSA and WHA (such as actors or performers in motion pictures, theatrical, radio or television productions).

Children may also perform work not covered by the FLSA or WHA such as completing minor chores around private homes or casual babysitting.

If you check jobentries.com and hireteen.com the minimum age of all posted jobs on that site are 14 year olds.

September 29, 2013 Flag

I'm fourteen and I love horses. I want to save up and buy a horse of my own, including registration in an equestrian center, tack, feed, and all that! How can I earn money in a fun and safe way? Thanks!

By Maddy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The first thing to consider is do you have a place that you can have a horse? If you don't, then you will also have to pay for a place to keep a horse. Then there is another thing to consider, most jobs aren't fun. At you age most places won't hire anybody under age 16. You could also baby sit. Talk to your parents about this matter, do you get an allowance, if so, maybe you could get a raise if you are willing to do more chores.

See if you can get on as an apprentice with a local rancher. If not, find a product you might be able to make that horse people would like. Are you an artist? If so, why not offer to make portraits of horses? Do you sew? How about riding blankets? Find something you love to do that others would love to buy and start from there.

I hope that helps.

PBP

Do baking or somthin

August 14, 2013 Flag

I'm 14, and looking for a job. I have a lot of skill when it comes to PCs and am wondering if there is any way that I could use said skill to earn more money? I can assemble a computer, diagnose hardware related problems, and remove/repair/reinstall most software.

By 1337-H4CKZ0R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Firstly,

What can you provide? Think about teaching the older generation the basics. As a 14 year old myself I can say that the only way anybody will consider you to do anything more is to gain certification. I am currently taking the Cisco Certifications. After that, im hoping to get a Saturday job paying a large amount (100 GBP plus). The certifications proove your trustworhtyness. Finally, get a good online presence. People may look you up. This includes having a good username. Leet Speak isnt very elite at all.

October 9, 2013 Flag

What are some places in Virginia that a 14 year old can find a job?

By Ali K

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?
Parenting Teen EmploymentJanuary 31, 2017
12 year old mowing a lawn.
Job Ideas for 12 Year Olds
A woman working a second job at a gift store.
Second Job Ideas
A group of tween aged kids doing yard work.
Job Ideas for 10 Year Olds
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 10:03:33 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.