Babysitting Activity Ideas

Category Employment
Having planned activities for the children when you babysit can help make it a positive experience for everyone. This is a guide about babysitting activity ideas.

My mom and her friend Lisa are having a girls night out and I am watching Lisa's daughter. I am eleven years old and we live with my grandparents and they would be right downstairs along with my three other siblings. The little girl's name is Gabriella. I was wondering if you had any tips on what kind of games and activities I could do with her?

She is 7 years old and loves girly stuff, I thought maybe makeovers with my "BIG GIRL STUFF" as my little sisters and their friends call it. Lisa has known my mom from home school groups, so she knows me pretty well and obviously trusts me. I will be charging her $5.00 for the night since this is my first time. But I want Ella to go home wanting me to babysit her again. So please feel free to post your thoughts on this. Also, if you know any small things I can do to maybe earn me some tips!

Mackenzie from Millington, TN

Answers

Best Answer

Drag out some of your crafting stuff (not all of it) Show her how to make things. How old were you when you learned to crochet? Maybe part of the evening could be used to start teaching her.

Seven year olds love to read aloud. Try taking turns reading pages from some of your chapter books.

Best Answer

I used to play "spelling railroad" with my son when he was about that age. It's a good game for riding in the car but you could do it in this situation. The first person spells a word and the next word has to begin with the last letter of that word. On and on it goes till someone decides that the next word will be the caboose.

Best Answer

Edible Peanut butter Playdough

ingredients*
1/2 cup Peanut butter
1/2 cup of honey
1 cup powdered milk

Knead until smooth
Let sit in fridge for 10 minutes
Let the kids play with and eat when allowed to have it

This is a fun activity to do with 4-9 year olds beings they love to play with finger foods!! if you have any questions about babysitting or any tips u can contact me at fox_racing94 AT yahoo.com Thanks i hope this helps bye!

Best Answer

You can do a scavenger hunt and at the end give her something like make-up.

Best Answer

I have to babysit a little girl and she is also seven. Normally we print out coloring pictures and color. Sometimes we will bake cookies together or make some pudding together. We normally go outside and play on her trampoline but most people don't have one. Hope I helped a little bit.

Best Answer

One thing I do while I'm baby sitting is you get out a bowl and pick out different snacks that would go well together and just toss is in the bowl then you can snack on that while doing some thing else, like watching a movie. Another thing you can do is get all the pillows at their house and try and stack them as high as you can. Take turns and make it a contest. The girl I baby sit loves that.

Best Answer

I am 15 and I babysit a 7 year old girl. She is very indecisive, and she also loves girly things. What I do, is I let her and I go up to my room and we do "beauty makeovers." She absolutely loves those. First, I do her, then she does my makeup. We also, play with dolls, do puzzles, charades, and one game my cousin made up for me when i was younger: Write on little pieces of paper of where to look to find another clue, and they have to figure out where that is, then when they find it, they have another clue. When they are done, give them a prize (candy, etc.)

Good luck!

Best Answer

Whenever I babysit for my 7 yr old "girly" neighbor, we always make bracelets and necklaces out of beads, she also loves to play dress up fashion show, and all kids love arts and crafts. Baking is always fun as well. if its a nice day, we go on a bike ride or a walk, or we can throw a frisbee outside.

Anonymous
Best Answer

There are a lot of things to do. Play dress up, make doll clothes, color, do experiments, make crafts, play active games. Don't leave the kid alone, or she'll give her parents a bad report. Make sure you're super fun and that she'll want to see you again. For tips, I'm not sure. Just make sure you're patient. Don't yell at her, persuade her to listen by offering rewards or turning a task into a fun activity or challenge. For example: If it's time to get ready for bed, look her in the face, make your voice excited, and say, "I bet you can't get ready for bed in under 5 minutes." Kids love challenges. Here's how not to get fired: Don't leave her alone. Don't leave behind a mess- clean up as you go. Follow all the rules. Make sure you are always doing an engaging, physical activity. She'll go to her parents and beg to have you again. Pay her special attention, make her feel important.

I'm babysitting a 5 year old girl from 10:00am to 8:00pm every single day. She has gotten bored with most things we do, so I need something creative and I prefer it to be inside, because it's way too hot.

By Dianeis R.

Answers

Best Answer

My daughters love to play with shaving cream, it's like $1 a can at walmart. Just let her smear it all over the table, it really is fun. Can be messy, but it won't stain. My girls also love to draw. Play doh is fun, and cheap too. Just be careful it doesn't get mashed into carpet. Practice writing her name with her, my 3 year old loves writing. Go to the library and borrow childrens books, most kids love books.

Best Answer

Have you checked out community things? Right now in my neighborhood, there are several vacation Bible schools going on, our library has programs for the kids, our swimming pool has lessons and special rate passes for the summer, and we have movies in the park.

Does she have a craft box? No need for anything special, just old magazines, scissors, glue, some construction paper, markers, crayons, colored pencils, and things like that. You can find most old school supplies at yard sales for pennies.

Homemade play dough with kitchen utensils, make clothes for a doll, empty food containers for a special "pretend" shopping trip, practice her printing for school, teach her the sounds of the letters or how to read if she's that advanced, how to tell time and count money, gardening - even if it's in a pot, make things with yarn, cooking/baking lessons, how to sort laundry and properly wash dishes by hand, how to follow directions (make pudding and jello if nothing else), and read, Read, read to her, exercise with her. Remember, you are helping to shape her life.

Best Answer

Try this recipe for sand dough: Sculpt a summer sandcastle, even f you don't live near the beach!

What you need (per person)
1 cup clean sand
1/2 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Old pot (per batch)

1. Have an adult (you, if you're old enough) put all the ingredients into an old pot and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until the mixture is very thick.

2. Allow the dough to cool until it can be handled easily.

3. Knead the dough until it feels like gritty playdough.

4. Create a fun sculpture - try a castle, a sea critter or even a friendly monster!
5. Place the shape in the sun to dry until it hardens.

You should also check out the Zoom website - www.pbskids.org/zoom for some great kids' activities. They even have printable activity books. Good luck!

I'm 15 and I'm watching a 5 year old girl and a 7 year old girl from 4pm to 11pm. What fun activities should I do with them?

By Kayleigh

Answers

Best Answer

Kids love to play dress up. That would be a fun thing. If they don't have things that they can use, go through your own closets and your mom's for things like skirts, old dresses, vests, scarves, long strings of beads, old high heels, etc. Playing dressup and let's pretend is a great thing.

I also think that you should be able to take the girls outside to a park or playground every day, as long as the weather is suitable. Fresh air and exercise are very important. Play catch, frisbee, soccer, with them, or just let them play on playground equipment. You could take them for bike rides, if they have bikes and can ride them.

Another great outdoor fun activity is blowing bubbles. You can look on the internet for recipes (mostly just dish detergent, I think) , and ways to make a giant bubble maker. If not, just a bottle of bubbles that likely costs about $1 from the dollar store will provide hours of fun.

Be sure to read to the girls every day. Most kids are not read to enough. You could maybe incorporate a trip to the library once a week to pick up books for reading. If the 7 year old has reading to do every day from school, you could do that as well. There is no need for this not to be a fun time! Treat it like a special time rather than as a chore.

You could teach the girls how to make their own snacks in the kitchen -- cutting up fruit, making instant pudding, setting a table and having a nice "tea party" like atmosphere to after school snack. Alternately, you could take some snacks and make a picnic out of it, even if you just have juice and cookies out in the back yard. My babysitter did that with my kids, and they loved it.

You could do little art projects with them as well. There are many inexpensive things you could do -- play doh made from home made recipes that you could find on the net, colouring eggs for easter (get permission from the mom for this, of course), using whatever art supplies they have at home to paint pictures or draw.

I babysit two boys, one is three and the other is five. I babysit them for two hours every Wednesday and Friday. I am looking for ideas for activities to do with them. They both love dinosaurs, superheroes, board games, and charades. Now I can't play any games, if there is going to be a winner because they get really upset if they don't win. If you could leave some ideas to do with the kids that be great!

What fun stuff can you do with a 5 year old and a 7 year old?

By Ally

Answers

You find some good board games for a 5 year old, I bet the 7 year old would be willing to play along. Simple crafts can also be fun at that age, maybe make some homemade playdough (recipe is on this site). Also, ask them what they want to do, let them each pick an activity and take turns.

I spy, hunt the thimble (or small toy), hide and seek and then read them a story before bed to calm them down.
Marg from England.

I made a fun "campsite" in my living room one rainy day. We took a folding table & draped a quilt over that, my great grandson has a small tent which we put against the table end. They pretended that was their camper. We took a cooling rack with legs & that was their camp stove. I let them use my battery powered lantern inside. We gathered up stuff from the kitchen for cooking utensils & they had a really good time. I wanted to do it on the back deck but it rained. You could have a wading pool out there. The possibilities are endless!

I'm babysitting 2 kids for 10 hours every weekday for 3 weeks. I had my first day and it was awful. The kids and I don't click and they get bored really easily. I had only babysat them at night before and had to entertain them for a couple of hours. Now I'm having to entertain them all day (they're both above five). They complain about everything. It frustrates me to the point of tears. I already made a commitment and don't want to back out because they pay extremely well. I need to entertain myself, too, while I'm doing it. Help?

I'm 13 and about to babysit two boys in the summer, one is eight and the other is five. This is my first year and I'll have them two times a week all day. What fun things should I do?

I'm babysitting 6 kids 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. I have 3 girls and three boys and they all have different tastes except crafts. Anyone have any other activities I could do with them?

I would like your advice on what activities I should do when I babysit two girls? They are 8 and 10, but the ten year old had a tumor removed from her head. I am not sure what types of activities I could do with both of them. Please help me.

By Montana U.

Answers

I think you should ask the mom what the girls like to do, especially since one of them has had this surgery. There may be limitations on her activities that you need to know about.

What are some things both a one year old and 3 year old would enjoy?

By Kaylyn K.

Answers

Of course there's always Cheerios, string them, put paste on a paper plate and let both kids make pictures (esp colored cereal). Cover a wall with butcher paper and let them draw on it with washable markers, or draw on the sidewalk with chalk. Just watch them play together and you'll get more ideas.

Match cards always work with young kiddos! Cut out the same size rectangles (from card stock or, if you want to be extra "green", try cereal or other boxes). Cover pairs of the rectangles with the same pictures (from magazines or, better yet, pics of family members!). Glue the pics onto the card stock, then cover with a coating of Mod Podge or cover them with clear Con Tac. To play, just flip the pictures onto the other side and have the kids turn over one and then another one, trying to make a match. This game also helps with memory, taking turns, etc. Have fun!

A package of plastic easter eggs that can be purchased from the dollar store can be used to play hide the egg. My grand daughter loves to do this. Eggs can be hidden in the house or outside whichever is best according to the weather. This is her favorite.

I need help thinking of ideas for babysitting 5 younger kids.

By love s.

I have babysat these kids before, they are 4 and 9. They want to play house, Barbies, etc. constantly. I mean all day long literally. I need something that they will like just as much and be time consuming so they can have a variety of things to do. Also whenever they don't get to play they always get really upset.
P.S. In case I didn't make it clear I have to play "with" them.

By Nicole

Can somebody give me good baby sitting tips for 9 year olds and 5 year olds please?

By Adison from Kansas City

I am babysitting a 4 year old boy and a & year old girl tomorrow for 13 hours. They are tired of my ideas, please help. We have done playdoh, painting, facepaint bear caves (decorating paper cups), forts, movies, baking, water fights, pretend, nail polish, cars, dolls, and pipe cleaner bottles. Please help.

By Callie C.

I'm babysitting tomorrow and I need some ideas for some activities i can do. There are 4 kids, 3 boys and a girl, (youngest to oldest boys ages- 3,6,8, girl- 11).
If you have any suggestions, that would be great!

By Caitlin r

To keep your time babysitting interesting, you can include many different art projects. This is a guide about activities for babysitting a 5 year old.

Babysitter and girl Lying On Floor And Painting Picture

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

There are many fun and educational things you can do to enjoy your time together. This is a guide about activities for babysitting a 7 year old.

Babysitter handing a 7 year old, who is coloring, a piece of chalk.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes