Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden

Category Pest Control
Whether it is your neighbor's pet or some form of wildlife, keeping animals out of the garden can be difficult. This is a guide about keeping animals out of your garden.

We had a raccoon and cats that were being nuisances. I purchased several of the "old fashioned" toilet bowl fresheners - the type that hang in the bowl and smell so bad. I hung them along the bottom of the fence especially in areas I know the animal used for access. They have worked like a charm.

Hello...those definitely do work, however, they are usually made of a naptha derivative (moth balls) and are not good for the environment and groundwater. A safer alternative might be hanging the little muslin drawstring bags sold at feed stores (about 25 cents each) that have a piece of Irish Spring original scent soap. They do not like the smell and it works very well for rabbits, mice and deer also.

We use mousetraps to keep squirrels, rabbits and cats from ruining our garden. The noise scares them without hurting them so that they don't return.

By Pat K

I have chickens and have found that mice and rats love the chicken feed! I have to deal with them without killing my chickens, and other creatures that may go in my chicken yard so I dig a trench in the chicken yard and make a round out in the dirt, I then place a tray of decon rat killer in the trench and lay a big piece of plywood over the trench and round out where the decon is.

I know there are a lot of people that feel bad about killing rats and mice but it saves me about half of the cost of food for my chickens. When I have no rats and mice eating it all

this way it is safe for my chickens and other animals as the rats and mice munch out under the plywood and die there so I can clean up later. Rats and mice can carry disease so you do not want them!

I've tried various methods to keep pests (cats and birds) away from sown beds and young seedling beds without any success, until I tried this method. Spread rose twigs (after pruning) over the bed. Make sure pets can't creep through twigs. This is the best method to save your sown beds and young seedlings

By anura from New Zealand

Tips and ideas for protecting your plants from small animals. Post your ideas.

A squirrel eating a pumpkin in a vegetable garden.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about keeping squirrels out of a vegetable garden. Has your vegetable garden become the salad bowl for the local squirrel population? If so, then you are probably looking for a way to keep them out.

Is there a natural way to repel deer from eating garden veggies, besides a fence?

Hardiness Zone: 3b

By linn from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

There are motion activated 'scare crows' that when there's moment of a dear, rabbit, bird, raccoon or other animal (even your neighbors dig happy dog) ill make a sudden movement to startle them away. That's also variations of that with a sprinkler that shoots a bit of water to startle the intruder away.

There is absolutely no harm done to the animals and no poisons or affected plants. And its also aesthetically pleasing. And unlike owl and coyote statues the animals wont become desensitized to them and ignore it. The only down fall is they may be a touch costly. but its well worth it. And unlike topical sprays it wont harm the flowers or produce, It wont add a bad odor and you don't need to remember to reapply it weekly.

This worked for an elderly gardener in the country: She saved her urine and buried open jars of it around the garden with the openings exposed. She also saved hair from her hairbrush and put it in the garden.

The motion activated sensors do not work for me. I have had rabbits eating grass right in front of them and squirrels don't seem bothered either.

One of my favorite cooking ingredients is fresh herbs. I've grown many different kinds over the years: rosemary, parsley, thyme, oregano, mint, chives, sage, basil, dill, and more. All have proved hardy enough to withstand the outdoors year round, even insects, here in Georgia, but they are usually mangled by reckless squirrels, even when I've grown them in large clay pots on our deck.

At the moment, I'm experimenting with growing 4 varieties indoors in a sunny window, but they will soon be too big for that space. I suppose I could resort to covering them outside with netting, but wonder if there is a better way to protect them. I am looking forward to having your thoughts. Many thanks.

How do I stop them from entering my yard?

By Thomas K.

I use a 410 or a 22...Coyotes do a lot of damage in my area. We farm. They have killed my chickens, ducks, cats, taken down and killed several young calves, taken trash out of the trash barrel, rooted in the garden, torn up my compost pile, and carried of my kids toys and chewed on them. Several years ago a neighbor shot one that was acting strange and it was sent off. While it tested neg for rabies, it was full of parasites and very sick looking, with stuff running from its eyes. You don't want them in your yard.

Depending on your state, try your local conservation agent for suggestions, as well as your local county extension office for ideas.

Good luck.

How do you keep the deer, squirrels, coons, ground hogs, and rabbits out or your garden?

By Thomas from Kansas City, MO

If you figure out a foolproof way, patent it, and you'll be rich! A good fence goes far in helping to keep them out; but groundhogs and raccoons can climb, and deer can jump (unless it is very high). The 'hogs will also dig underneath, as can rabbits.

If you can make a four-foot fence, with small enough wire to keep the rabbits out, you can run an electric (fence) wire at the top and bottom. Watch for digging, and you should be fine. I have tried the mothballs and marigolds, pepper wax, and all of that. It seems to make no difference for me. Since my fence is only 3 feet tall, and the 'hog gets in anyway, I am thinking that next year I may add the electric, or maybe plant a row of tasty things on the outside of the fence, to see if that will stop him before he goes in! I am also going to try a havahart trap. Only time will tell!

Go get hair at the local salon or salons. We give lots free to people for their gardens.

How can I keep the animals away from my vegetable plants?

By bardha from Randolph, NJ

Answers:

Keeping Animals Out of Your Vegetable Garden

I don't know this from first-hand experience, but I have heard that many people plant marigolds around the edge; rabbits, etc. don't like the smell and stay away. (06/25/2009)

By Mary T

I've been reading alot of the postings in here and it all comes down too pepper (black or cayenne) and the one thing I never thought of is hair...I am gonna try the hair trick first seeing that I have 3 big dogs who shed like mad....

What is the best way to keep rabbits out of your tomatoes?

By Darlene from Milton, ON, Canada

Answers:

Plant marigolds around your garden. Rabbits can't stand the odor of the flowers. Works for me every time! (06/07/2010)

By darshae

You don't say how big the garden area is. One thought is to buy some wooden stakes or make your own about 3 feet long and bang them into the ground around the garden. Buy some chicken wire and make a fence attaching the wire to the stakes. Place some rocks around the bottom to prevent the rabbits from digging under then wire fence. Or you could buy a Havahart trap, bait the trap and when you trap a rabbit take it about 10 miles or so away and release the rabbit if that is the critter doing the damage. (06/08/2010)

By foxrun41

What non chemical method can be used to keep deer and cats out of the vegetable and the flower beds?

By Florine from Hyattsville, MD

Answers:

What is a Natural Remedy for Keeping Animals Out of My Gardens?

I sprinkle black pepper on the soil periodically (it doesn't rain much here, so that is a factor for you to adjust for). It works for skunks and cats, not sure about deer. (05/02/2010)

By demofi

Human hair clippings, and, I know it's gross, but a big time farmer told me human urine around the garden. It has to be replaced every few day. He says he puts it in cups. (05/03/2010)

By angelsjones

Cats hate citrus. Place some orange/lemon/grapefruit peels (or even pieces) around your garden. This is also a great tip for keeping cats away from your Christmas tree. You can also spray lemon scented water around. The cats won't like it one bit. Sorry I can't help you with the deer though.

Thank you for trying to solve your problem without using anything toxic to animals. Some people will tell you to use moth balls, but moth balls will kill a cat and are very toxic. (05/06/2010)

By Needtoknow

What is a cheap way to keep wildlife (rabbits,chipmunks, etc.) out of my vegetable garden? I want to keep them from eating all my produce? I do love animals.

Has anyone heard of using certain brands of soap shavings to keep wildlife (rabbits) away from produce? Or is that snakes? I know mothballs work great for keeping snakes away from preferred areas. They stink, though.

By Trudy from woods of PA

Answers:

I use the dog hair I capture when I brush my dogs. Gather as much as you can and spread it out round the garden/beds. This worked great for me! (03/26/2010)

By SueSueSUe

How do I keep animals from eating my garden?