Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A photo fo a carrot growing in a vegetable garden.

Whether it is your neighbor's pet or some form of wildlife, keeping animals out of the garden can be difficult. This is a guide about keeping animals out of your garden.

Solutions: Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Toilet Bowl Cleaner As Animal Deterrent

We had a raccoon and cats that were being nuisances. I purchased several of the "old fashioned" toilet bowl fresheners - the type that hang in the bowl and smell so bad. I hung them along the bottom of the fence especially in areas I know the animal used for access. They have worked like a charm.

By

Tip: Mouse Traps for the Garden

We use mousetraps to keep squirrels, rabbits and cats from ruining our garden. The noise scares them without hurting them so that they don't return.

By Pat K

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden.

Question: Keeping Coyotes Out of Your Yard

How do I stop them from entering my yard?

By Thomas K.

Most Recent Answer

By April [179]01/19/2014

I use a 410 or a 22...Coyotes do a lot of damage in my area. We farm. They have killed my chickens, ducks, cats, taken down and killed several young calves, taken trash out of the trash barrel, rooted in the garden, torn up my compost pile, and carried of my kids toys and chewed on them. Several years ago a neighbor shot one that was acting strange and it was sent off. While it tested neg for rabies, it was full of parasites and very sick looking, with stuff running from its eyes. You don't want them in your yard.
Depending on your state, try your local conservation agent for suggestions, as well as your local county extension office for ideas.
Good luck.

Question: Keeping Animals Out of Your Vegetable Garden

How do you keep the deer, squirrels, coons, ground hogs, and rabbits out or your garden?

By Thomas from Kansas City, MO

Most Recent Answer

By angie [10]11/12/2010

Go get hair at the local salon or salons. We give lots free to people for their gardens.

Question: What is a Natural Remedy for Keeping Animals Out of My Gardens?

Is there a natural way to repel deer from eating garden veggies, besides a fence?

Hardiness Zone: 3b

By linn from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Most Recent Answer

By Ren10/21/2010

There are motion activated 'scare crows' that when there's moment of a dear, rabbit, bird, raccoon or other animal (even your neighbors dig happy dog) ill make a sudden movement to startle them away. That's also variations of that with a sprinkler that shoots a bit of water to startle the intruder away.

There is absolutely no harm done to the animals and no poisons or affected plants. And its also aesthetically pleasing. And unlike owl and coyote statues the animals wont become desensitized to them and ignore it. The only down fall is they may be a touch costly. but its well worth it. And unlike topical sprays it wont harm the flowers or produce, It wont add a bad odor and you don't need to remember to reapply it weekly.

Question: Protecting Tomato Plants from Animals

We had a lot of tomatoes, but they got eaten by some animal. My question is if I plant tomatoes now will they still have fruit on them? How do I protect my plants from being eaten? How high of a fence should I have and what should I use?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Most Recent Answer

By JoAnn Snow07/14/2010

The deer ate our tomatoes until I started spraying a deer repellent around the garden area. It kept the rabbits out, too. Also, be on the look out for the tomato hornworm. They will eat the plant from top to bottom. They are green and blend in with the stems so you really have to look hard to see them. They are pretty big though, bigger than a catepillar. They also lay their eggs on the leaves so remove anything that looks like a bunch of eggs on a leaf.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Keeping Animals Out of Your Vegetable Garden

By Ellen Brown

Question:

How do I keep animals from eating my garden?

Gary

Answer:

Gary,

Erecting a fence is the most effective strategy for keeping the widest variety of animals out of your vegetable garden. If you are trying to keep out deer, you will need a fence that is at least 7 feet high to prevent them from jumping over it. A 2-foot high fence should be sufficient to keep rabbits out. Regardless of the height, fences should be dug 12 to 15 inches underground to deter groundhogs and keep other "diggers" out.

If you have a large garden, surrounding it with a fence can be a bit costly, but it is well worth the one-time investment if you can afford it. Once erected, you will free yourself of the frustration of losing a large portion of your hard work to animal thieves. Make sure you check local building codes and use materials that are durable and long lasting.

If birds are the main problem, vulnerable plants can be covered with a lightweight netting for protection.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Keeping Animals Out of Your Vegetable Garden

We live in the country mountains so there are lots of bunnies, deer and other little critters always wanting in our veggie garden. My husband has put up a very high fence with chicken wire, but he also had to put it on the ground along the fence too. He took one foot of fence and attached it to the fence going up, then bent it forward when it hit the ground and made it smooth all the way around the fence. This left 3 feet setting on the ground. Then he attached metal spikes made from coat hangers to hold it down. We found out that without this chicken wire going out from the fence at least 3 feet the bunnies were able to dig into the garden. This seems to have deterred them.

By RoseMary B. (06/20/2005)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Keeping Animals Out of Your Vegetable Garden

We do not (yet) have a problem with rabbits. But, we did put up an 8 foot fence around the garden so that the deer could not get into the garden anymore. (06/20/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

I live out in the sagebrush in a desert area and the jackrabbits generally eat most plants down to the nubbin the first night you put them out. I cut the bottom out of the plastic kitty litter buckets and placed them over my vegetable garden plants. I have also done this with the plastic containers that the plants are potted in when you buy them. Apparently if they can't eat the base of the plant it is enough to deter them. (06/23/2005)

By adoxa8

RE: Keeping Peacocks Out of Your Vegetable Garden

The peacocks that have adopted our neighborhood have also discovered our garden. As Jamie says they try everything and leave holes in lettuce, bite into squashes and peppers, etc. just to make you mad. We enjoy having them but in today's economy we need to grow some of our food. Any ideas are welcome. The fence won't work, they can fly over, I don't like using chemicals and I don't know if the electron ic/ultrasound gadgets work. (01/09/2008)

By Deborah

Does anyone have any knowledge about sprinkling cayenne pepper around plants to deter animals? I know it works for deer around flowers but I was wondering about the pepper soaking in to the roots of edible veggies, if this would be safe to do. (06/09/2008)

By valerie everly

somethings eating my lettuce

Go online and do a search, with Google or Ask - for plants/flowers that repel animals. Some aren't very tasty, so the animals won't snack on them. I know that human hair (from your barber/beauty shop) repel deer. Scatter it around the boundaries of your garden/yard. (06/16/2008)

By KJ

I read somewhere that it is unsafe for the animals if you use cayenne pepper. There have been instances of the cats getting it in their eyes and scratching the eyes so badly they are blinded. It may have been on this site. (06/17/2008)

By Toolgirl

We used to have problems with rabbits, coons, and armadillos getting to our garden and container tomatoes. We were told about laying bird or deer netting down all around our garden. The critters don't like to walk on the netting and it doesn't harm them other than to scare them away. We just leave the netting down and cut holes through to plant our garden. Lowe's has a 7'x100' roll for about 13 bucks. Good luck! (06/17/2008)

By EJRIOS2006

Jerry Baker's Garden Tonics book. I bought it years ago and it has a lot of natural tonics for various pest controls which have been reliable for me. He has a website and several books still available. Good luck and god bless and help you. :) (06/18/2008)

By LYNDA

To Valerie,

Cayenne pepper is edible. I wouldn't worry about it soaking into the roots of the vegetables it is put on unless you don't like things a little spicy. :) I doubt it would do anything to the veggie. I use it to keep squirrels out of the garden. They like my tomatoes, but not so hot!
(08/26/2008)

For deer, just put fence pieces on the ground. They hate their feet to get tangled in it. You might have to re-flatten it out a few times. They get it on their feet once or twice, they will not be back. (11/26/2008)

By hummm

How can I keep the animals away from my vegetable plants?

By bardha from Randolph, NJ

I don't know this from first-hand experience, but I have heard that many people plant marigolds around the edge; rabbits, etc. don't like the smell and stay away. (06/25/2009)

By Mary T

What is a cheap way to keep wildlife (rabbits,chipmunks, etc.) out of my vegetable garden? I want to keep them from eating all my produce? I do love animals. How about moth balls around it?