Saving Money on Litter for Small Animals

Keeping the litter for your small animals clean and fresh normally involves regular changing, which can be expensive. This is a page about saving money on litter for small animals.

If you're like me, you want the best for your pets. Conventional pine and cedar litters are not good for the health of your hamster, gerbil, mouse, and rat. I use Carefresh instead. It is a recycled wood pulp paste (or something like that). It can be quite expensive though.

I didn't want my rodents sitting in uncomfortable aspen shavings (aspen is the only other safe litter, as it doesn't have all the oils that pine and cedar do). So I had an idea. I started buying one huge bag of aspen for $8.99 and one large bag of Carefresh for $19.99. This lasts me about 2 months for 4 rodents.

I also use toilet paper as their bedding inside their houses, and when I'm really running low and need to stretch the litter, I fill in with shredded up paper egg cartons.

For their food, I mix in plain rice puffs or Cheerios. The hamsters love them, and they are really cheap in the grocery store.

By Jacqueline

Pets AdviceJuly 20, 2013
🌻
😎
📓
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Litter-for-Small-Animals-1.html