Keeping Bats Out of My Yard

I am terrified of bats so much so that I would probably have a heart attack if one flew close to me. I live right in front of a wooded area and so far I have not seen any bats in my back yard, but the building next door has a huge and really bright spot light on all night. We can actually see the bats flying towards the light to eat bugs. I can not swim in my pool, sit out back after dark or go out anywhere at night because Im so scared that the bats will come in my yard. I thought bats hate lights? Are they attracted to the water in my pool? And will light from my Tiki torches keep them away? What can I do to keep them from flying into my yard? Please help me so I can go back out at night without having a heart attack or nervous breakdown.

There is really no way to guarantee bats will not fly into your yard. Bats live in many areas that are wild woodlands, prairies, etc., however, people are moving into the areas where bats have lived for thousands of years. Bats do not intend to harm people, they are fantastic bug (mosquitos!) hunters and are beneficial.

To answer your questions:

*Bats are not attracted to light but are attracted to the bugs that swarm around night lights.

*Bats are not specifically attracted to your pool but do drink from pools where they find them.

*Your tiki torches will not drive them away but may attract bats if bugs swarm around the lights.

*Essentially, there is nothing you can do to keep them from flying into your yard.

You can try several methods to keep them from living in your yard. A very easy online search for "how to stop bats in yard" produces many answers. You can try a search yourself or this very helpful site to start. Keep in mind that bats are only looking for food and do not purposely target you or your house. This site has many suggestions so read through to gain bat information and methods to avoid them:

http://www.wiki … /Get-Rid-of-Bats

Have you considered therapy for your phobia? I realize it may be out of your budget right now, but I feel bad that you feel the need to barricade yourself indoors as soon as the sun goes down. I hope that at least one day in the future you'll be able to get help for the mental aspect of this problem.

Bats are quite uninterested in you, and are very beneficial. I think that they would do a good job of keeping the insects down, which is a great plus. I have heard that bats are preyed upon by owls, so perhaps one of those plastic owls that can be purchased to keep birds out of the yard will work with bats.