Removing Bats From a Roof

Despite their value in keeping insect populations down, most of us do not want bats living in our homes. This is a guide about removing bats from a roof.

Do any readers have suggestions on removing bats from a roof? They are going in the soffits and fascia. I've talked to both a pest control agent (who scared me) and a bat expert (who told me I should be thrilled!).

I am confused as to whether to get rid of them or let them stay. We have not had trouble with them coming near our living area. The cost of the exterminator is very prohibitive!

By Chris

Answers

Whatever you do, don't kill them! Put up a bat house somewhere outside of your home. Back of the garage? Tree far from the house? You'll have to ask the bat expert how to deter them from coming back into your attic, but if they have a bat house to go to, they should move. Nurseries may have bat houses; check with your local zoo about where to purchase one. Or go to Home Depot and get some lumber and a bat book from the book store and build a bat house. If you live anywhere near water and/or have mosquitos and other lovely little winged pests, you definitely want the bats around. Saves on pesticides, feeds the bats, keeps the natural balance going.

Christina

My brother once had a problem with bats in his home. They would set up housekeeping in his basement no matter what he did. He was informed by the exterminators that bats are a protected species and that it was illegal to kill them. I don't think he ever solved the problem, but thankfully he now lives elsewhere. Just wanted to warn!

Helpful Reader

Here is an interesting site about bat conservation that talks about bat exclusion methods.

I had bats in my classroom where I taught school. The people that came to 'move' them hung netting at the edge of the soffit. The bats could come out, but could not fly away. They just dropped toward the ground and then they could fly away, but not get back in. Of course one would have to seal the 'holes' and they can get in a VERY narrow space. Once they cannot get back in they will find another spot to live. Hopefully a bat house that is placed nearby.